British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2023

36 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Not quite  correct. He signed up to be regulated by the SCB/BSPL and has to conform to their regulations.

And there's no regulation that stipulates reasonable prices in the event of a sale (the original question) so I've no idea what relevance your point is of course any buyer needs to conform to the league rules 

4 minutes ago, DizzAssStar said:

KL are in "this alarming mess" on account of Alex Brady pulling out (don't know the circumstances so won't speculate) .........KC has again picked up the s.....ty end of the stick as opposed to KL speedway immediately closing the doors.

Time you opened your eyes ................. Tomalin has SAVED NO-ONE.

If it's all so simple get yer cheque book out buy the whole enterprise and put matters right............. you'll be sitting on a goldmine!

In truth Its comeback to bite Chapman bigtime by not sticking to the initial agreement with Tomalin  , as TTT says he wouldn't of had so many issues with both clubs now just those that have surfaced at Lynn

Granted he didn't know this situation would pan out at this stage in the season after Brady stepped down, 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Isotonic said:

But Peterborough Speedway wasn't collapsing, it was up for sale. Wasn't the reason he purchased it, as chairman of the BSPA,to stop the TV deal falling through because of a lack of teams in the top division. And if I knew "EXACTLY" what you ment I wouldn't be asking you.

SO if it wasn't collapsing who else was going to buy ................ and if they ever existed why didn't they?

Answers on a blank sheet of paper please!

Yes you knew EXACTLY what I meant (notice the spelling) and you weren't asking ............. you were telling me.

25 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

Now who's being thick Rathbone was the one who sold it to Chapman !!!! ,

He also said if no one came in to buy it , the Panthers would of still run in the championship that year

So what you are actually saying is that Rathbone thought he had a hold over the whole Premier League ................... until KC called his bluff !

Looks like Rathbone really had the interests of UK speedway at heart ...........................NOT!

3 minutes ago, DizzAssStar said:

So what you are actually saying is that Rathbone thought he had a hold over the whole Premier League ................... until KC called his bluff !

Looks like Rathbone really had the interests of UK speedway at heart ...........................NOT!

That wasn't the situation at all. 

The issue was, at that time, had Peterborough moved down the Premiership would have been disbanded & the BSPL would have lost the Discovery TV deal. 

Buster bought Peterborough for that reason only, not to save the club & has shown total disregard for the club ever since. It's just ticking over & got absolutely jammy with it's league title thanks to covid, with every other teams having to run a bargain basement line-ups. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

It’s like the Freemasons with CL sticking up for chapman they all continue to do nothing to change the state of the sport but watch it get weaker and more unprofessional by the year but continue to back each other. They’ve both been involved in speedway for years they are part of why the sports in this mess by continually chugging out the same tripe season after season.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, DizzAssStar said:

Not saying that at all ,

Chapman purchased the club and moved the Panthers up a league to save the TV deal as there was an insufficent number of teams to comply with the ongoing TV deal 

Rathbone said if it didnt sell he wasnt going to close the Panthers but continue to run in the lower lge until a buyer was found , 

Edited by scoobydoo
As Daniel Has Said
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

Not saying that at all ,

Chapman purchased the club and moved the Panthers up a league to save the TV deal as there was an insufficent number of teams to comply with the ongoing TV deal 

Rathbone said if it didnt sell he wasnt going to close the Panthers but continue to run in the lower lge until a buyer was found , 

Not forgetting, he was also after Ipswich too purely to save the league & TV deal. 

Fortunately for Ipswich, Tru Plant got involved

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noaksey said:

And there's no regulation that stipulates reasonable prices in the event of a sale (the original question) so I've no idea what relevance your point is of course any buyer needs to conform to the league rules 

The relevance is the principle asset Buster has to sell is the licence to run speedway. The value of that asset could be wiped out at a stroke should the BSPL decide.

If Chapman puts too high a valuation on the licence and MT turns round to the BSPL and says I can run, I have a lease and a team lined up, but I need you to grant me a fresh licence at a lower cost what happens?

Do the BSPL stand by their old mate and let Peterborough speedway die or do they cancel Chapman's licence and grant MT a fresh one, making Chapman's asset worthless at a stroke.

5 hours ago, Falcon1983 said:

I think MT will come in at the end of the season with the announcement of a stay of execution for an additional 12 months at the showground with a view of a new stadium in 2025

Chris Holder still has his race suit, and MT will add Woffy to the side and build from that

For now its just hope that will get fans to the end of the season, but it will be worth it in the long term 

This

One of the most sensible messages on here, let's support the Panthers Speedway through these difficult times (for current & Potential new owners, & supporters) for now. Then hopefully look forward to a better year next year & beyond. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, arnieg said:

The relevance is the principle asset Buster has to sell is the licence to run speedway. The value of that asset could be wiped out at a stroke should the BSPL decide.

If Chapman puts too high a valuation on the licence and MT turns round to the BSPL and says I can run, I have a lease and a team lined up, but I need you to grant me a fresh licence at a lower cost what happens?

Do the BSPL stand by their old mate and let Peterborough speedway die or do they cancel Chapman's licence and grant MT a fresh one, making Chapman's asset worthless at a stroke.

The latter is an interesting point, other than insolvency has a licence ever been cancelled?

27 minutes ago, noaksey said:

The latter is an interesting point, other than insolvency has a licence ever been cancelled?

There were certainly some teams expelled from the league (not necessarily the same as having a licence cancelled) in the 1980s for poor tracks/under strength teams. Barrow, Berwick nomads, Milton Keynes, Glasgow at Workington.

All from the 1980s NL when it was run almost independently of the British League (and regarded in some circles as the best run set up in speedway).

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

I must say seeing how the BSPL dealt with the kent & nora situation I would not be confident in saying they would act with the best interests of the sport and cancel chapmans license and give on to MT. I hope I’m wrong but they sure do make some funny decisions.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gasser90 said:

He does still want it but he can only buy it for the price that buster is asking for. 
trouble is buster is in dreamworld when it comes to evaluation of the club, like we are talking close to 6 figures !  Any sensible businessman could see that pboro speedway limited is not worth anywhere near that 

Does Chapman's price vary according to who the interested party is? But surely he's not so deluded as to think there could be others interested in buying?

On 7/7/2023 at 1:01 PM, Bald Bloke said:

Hopefully for you MT will buy the club at the end of the season. Buster must of had a gut full at both clubs this season, and want out more than ever..

You reap what you so sow and he hasn't sown enough, or what he has sown has been poor decision making, as results and lack of success indicates. Can't speak for Lynn but if he's had a gutfull of Peterborough then the blame lies with him. He's the owner and the poor product comes from the top. Hopefully his final act isn't to drag the club down further with him but the clock is ticking and he needs to make a definitive statement or hand over to someone who can fight for the club and take it forward, hopefully at the EoES which will be available for use, IMO, for at least another 3 years. 

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 5