British Speedway Forum
JanAndersen

Edinburgh vs Leicester - Championship play-offs semi final first leg

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Mountain is riding well this season, he was excellent last night.

Most impressed with Connor Mountain this season.  Rode like a demon in the British Final too.  17 + 2 from Leicester's #2 and #7 against Monarchs 3 + 2 equivalents were a big help for them.  Not a great day the office for Monarchs overall though and maybe even got off lightly as Lions had both the Thompson boys below par.   If that is to be the last Monarchs match ever at Armadale after 26 years, as seems likely, it just adds to the rather empty feeling of disappointment.   However, if our Peugeot pals in Red can rack up a decent home score against the skull and crossbones lot, we may still see a Scottish team in the Final. So for now at any rate - it's  .......Give us a "T "

• Like 1

Sunny Armadale is apparently set to be flattened soon. Last night, it felt like the demolition men had arrived a few weeks ahead of schedule.

The People's Champions, the table topping Leicester Lions, were relentless in their pursuit of first leg victory. It started with Morris dancing into the lead in heat 1 and Monarchs fans certainly knew their side had a Mountain to climb when young Connor passed the hapless Sam Masters to secure the 5-1.

Fireman Sam was found wanting against top opposition (not for the first time) and he followed up his heat 1 failure by almost sticking Lasse Fredriksen in the pits on the first turn of heat 6. He did pretty much the same thing in the corresponding race last Friday. What price team riding?

He then posted two decent rides before being bullied into submission (and third place) by the classy Richie Worrall in heat 15. Not good enough from 'the league's best rider'.

Like a number of others, I was hugely impressed with Connor Mountain, who made a molehill out of all the home men, with the sole exception of Josh Pickering who had to work overtime and a half to force his way into second in heat 11. Part of me actually wanted him to achieve his paid maximum as it would've been a suitable ending to a performance I would rank as one of the best from a visiting second string throughout the entirety of sunny Armadale's existence.

It's always a delight to see Max Clegg scoring well, his only defeats coming from his 2 outings off gate 1. Well done young man.

For the Monarchs, when the glue that is Kye Thomson has an off night, it's never a good sign. He looked a pale shadow of his usual self all evening, not helped by the Italian plumber also failing to rise to the occasion.

So, well done Leicester. Let's hope you finish the job in the Final and sporting justice is done. Say no to artificial, Americanised, climax-chasing razzmatazz. You're the 2022 Champions in my eyes, regardless of the end result.

er, roll on Friday...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, King Jamie said:

Sunny Armadale is apparently set to be flattened soon. Last night, it felt like the demolition men had arrived a few weeks ahead of schedule.

The People's Champions, the table topping Leicester Lions, were relentless in their pursuit of first leg victory. It started with Morris dancing into the lead in heat 1 and Monarchs fans certainly knew their side had a Mountain to climb when young Connor passed the hapless Sam Masters to secure the 5-1.

Fireman Sam was found wanting against top opposition (not for the first time) and he followed up his heat 1 failure by almost sticking Lasse Fredriksen in the pits on the first turn of heat 6. He did pretty much the same thing in the corresponding race last Friday. What price team riding?

He then posted two decent rides before being bullied into submission (and third place) by the classy Richie Worrall in heat 15. Not good enough from 'the league's best rider'.

Like a number of others, I was hugely impressed with Connor Mountain, who made a molehill out of all the home men, with the sole exception of Josh Pickering who had to work overtime and a half to force his way into second in heat 11. Part of me actually wanted him to achieve his paid maximum as it would've been a suitable ending to a performance I would rank as one of the best from a visiting second string throughout the entirety of sunny Armadale's existence.

It's always a delight to see Max Clegg scoring well, his only defeats coming from his 2 outings off gate 1. Well done young man.

For the Monarchs, when the glue that is Kye Thomson has an off night, it's never a good sign. He looked a pale shadow of his usual self all evening, not helped by the Italian plumber also failing to rise to the occasion.

So, well done Leicester. Let's hope you finish the job in the Final and sporting justice is done. Say no to artificial, Americanised, climax-chasing razzmatazz. You're the 2022 Champions in my eyes, regardless of the end result.

er, roll on Friday...

What a fantastic comment to read. I was hoping so much for a close meeting so Saturday night at the den would have been a mega atmosphere. Connor Mountain has been consider this year but at the British final and last night he found a 2nd gear from somewhere!  I feel sorry for Edinburgh fans. With that team they have you'd have thought they would have atleast drawn on the night. I hope they are back at the tapes sooner than expected. They always build good teams and have passionate fans. Scottish speedway clubs just seem different to English ones, don't know why just seems more historical and the fans are super passionate. Just different folk Im guessing! I hope there is a proper send off meeting for the monarchs sometime before it gets flattened. I'd certainly be tempted to make the trip up! 

• Like 2

I’ve been a supporter long enough to expect the unexpected but last night caught me out. I totally expected a very tough contest but WOW.......

tbh I don’t think we were “not up for it”, our team (apart from Sam & Josh) are unpredictable but we just met a superb team last night who were firing on all cylinders and we could make no impact. Huge well done to Leicester

My biggest regret is that that could be my lasting memory of our league racing demise at Armadale, and that is so sad. I love that old stadium and I can’t believe our predicament

Anyway, enjoy tonight Leicester and good luck to all in the Playoffs

2 hours ago, Gr8scot said:

I’ve been a supporter long enough to expect the unexpected but last night caught me out. I totally expected a very tough contest but WOW.......

tbh I don’t think we were “not up for it”, our team (apart from Sam & Josh) are unpredictable but we just met a superb team last night who were firing on all cylinders and we could make no impact. Huge well done to Leicester

My biggest regret is that that could be my lasting memory of our league racing demise at Armadale, and that is so sad. I love that old stadium and I can’t believe our predicament

Anyway, enjoy tonight Leicester and good luck to all in the Playoffs

Leicester we’re just too good and have 3 Heat Leaders who love Armadale unfortunately.

On 9/24/2022 at 10:40 AM, Gazc said:

Put it this way if I was stranded on a deserted Island with Shovlar and a tin of beans I would eat Shovlar and talk to the tin of beans.

You would get more sense out the beans.

Personally think I would drown myself. Leave him to try and open the can of beans.

• Haha 3