British Speedway Forum
Argos

Peter Collins Book

48 minutes ago, DontMeetYourHero said:

You're confusing two totally separate things....

What Collins said in his book... and the truth.

Well we can all speculate and who's to say what the truth is at the end of the day?

30 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Well we can all speculate and who's to say what the truth is at the end of the day?

The truth is what the facts are.

Plenty of people have seen Collins' letters 

39 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

Yes I'm aware of apparent "lists of riders" that PC has produced but has he at anytime "demanded" that they (apparently 100's?) qualify for free entry which is what some have implied on this particular thread and elsewhere? If someone can confirm that was indeed his intention when producing said "lists" other than hearsay then I'll be happy?

Edited by steve roberts

53 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

Indeed.   And as you say it's "letters" (plural).   More than one BV promoter has been the recipient of the letter demanding free entry for the accompanying list of 100+ ex-riders, ex-sponsors, friends and hangers-on.

Ian Corcoran has verified this, Gordon Pairman has verified this, Phil Rising (an independent journalist and self-confessed Collins fan) even said that he'd seen the letters and confirmed the sad contents.

You'd have to be in serious denial not to accept the facts of the matter.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, geoff100 said:

I know an ex comets  boss who paid to get in northside!!

He always does .......

1 hour ago, DontMeetYourHero said:

Indeed.   And as you say it's "letters" (plural).   More than one BV promoter has been the recipient of the letter demanding free entry for the accompanying list of 100+ ex-riders, ex-sponsors, friends and hangers-on.

Ian Corcoran has verified this, Gordon Pairman has verified this, Phil Rising (an independent journalist and self-confessed Collins fan) even said that he'd seen the letters and confirmed the sad contents.

You'd have to be in serious denial not to accept the facts of the matter.

...not a question about being in denial but just wanting clarification. If the letters contained the word "demand" then that's the end of the matter.

4 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...not a question about being in denial but just wanting clarification. If the letters contained the word "demand" then that's the end of the matter.

Out of curiosity, what other word would you suggest was used? I don’t think that “ask” is suitable as, from PC’s reaction alone, it is clear it wasn’t a request. 

7 hours ago, Wee Eck said:

Out of curiosity, what other word would you suggest was used? I don’t think that “ask” is suitable as, from PC’s reaction alone, it is clear it wasn’t a request. 

It's an emotive subject and down to the staging promoter to decide on what policy he/she feels is best suited. I appreciate both sides of the argument as regards free/paid entry and potential benefits that it may or may not generate. If I was a promoter I would certainly consider a "request" but a free for all (which personally I don't think  would be the reality for reasons I've highlighted previously on this thread) would certainly need serious thought and consideration weighing up any costings gained or lost on potential revenue.

One time promoter Steve Purchase invited me to a pre-season "ideas" session and it gave those round the table to put forward suggestions to help generate extra income. Whether inviting or having attend an ex-rider would generate interest with the fans is open to conjecture but personally I feel if promoted in the right way giving the fans the chance to meet an ex-rider after a meeting could create some interest. I recall Nigel Wagstaff holding post meeting presentations after a meeting and fans were given the opportunity to ask questions and generally mix with the riders which went down well with those present.

Edited by steve roberts

Wasn't it PC's idea to invite prospective sponsors who possibly could have injected cash into the club? Surely allowing 100 or so individuals who would never have attended in the first place wouldn't have cost Belle Vue a dime... but could have helped swell the coffers. He wouldn't have brought 200 along every meeting, surely? Or is it 300 this week? 

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Gordon Pairman said:

PC had no involvement whatsoever with the development of promotion of the NSS. The 100+ names “demanded” were ex-riders, occasional sponsors (of him) and friends and acquaintances with no involvement with PC. There was never any suggestion of bringing along potential future sponsors.

It was pointed out to him that any former Belle Vue rider would be welcomed - all they had to do was call in advance.

As a former promoter, my stance would be the same. Any former rider of a team in which I was involved would welcome past riders wishing to attend. Sometimes, we’d ask that they agree to be interviewed or make themselves available to meet supporters. 

If any former rider wanted to attend every meeting, a financial arrangement would probably be reached, 

As a former promoter, I have had personal invitations to attend several tracks, (something I can rately take up) but I wouldn’t expect to attend free of charge every meeting at one track.

A very fair and honest response to which I would agree.

• Like 1

It's a shame that the the controversy has overshadowed the book.

I got a copy for Christmas, but don't get much time to read at home, so  I've had to wait till my holiday.

I read Kelvin Tatum's book first, which I enjoyed, and I'm now about half way through Peter's and thoroughly enjoying the read. The only downside to reading it on my sunbed is that the glue has melted in the binder, and the pages are falling out :(

I wasn't a big PC fan back in the day, as Simmo was my number one man, but both books are a fascinating insight into the lifestyles and careers of these guys.

The 70's were more my era, so I can relate to PC's book more, as it brings back fond memories for me. 

What a life though. Travelling the world and being paid for doing something you love. Makes my life seem so boring! 

• Like 4