British Speedway Forum
Garry1603

Belle Vue 2023

Hasn't the SCB's Jim Lawrence stated recently that the rule book is being re-written for 2023 and beyond?!  I'm sure there was a big interview with him several weeks ago in Speedway Star!

5 hours ago, False dawn said:

I think that is the point.

...but as I've often said am I right in assuming that other sports are run by Independant bodies who have no financial input?

8 hours ago, steve roberts said:

...but as I've often said am I right in assuming that other sports are run by Independant bodies who have no financial input?

It's interesting though, that this subject is nearly always raised and discussed with respect to the setting of rules and adherence to the spirit of the law. This is but a small part of the overall governance and promotion of the sport.

We have to take a broader view of what is required if our sport is not just to survive, but to thrive and grow going forward. The quality of "promotion" at a club level is debatable , at the sport level, its not existent. An independent governing body / individual, needs to lead from the front. Not down in the weeds of guest riders or doubling up. Those are important facets of our sport and must be properly and fairly regulated. But get preoccupied with them at your peril. The nerds amongst us (and yes, I'm one) get absorbed by such topics but imagine for a moment. We double the average gate at every speedway meeting in the country. How many of those new fans are coming to see whether a tactical substitute is allowed in heat 8. They want to see exciting racing. The same reason you kept coming after that first exposure to our great sport.

Top down. Not bottom up.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, False dawn said:

It's interesting though, that this subject is nearly always raised and discussed with respect to the setting of rules and adherence to the spirit of the law. This is but a small part of the overall governance and promotion of the sport.

We have to take a broader view of what is required if our sport is not just to survive, but to thrive and grow going forward. The quality of "promotion" at a club level is debatable , at the sport level, its not existent. An independent governing body / individual, needs to lead from the front. Not down in the weeds of guest riders or doubling up. Those are important facets of our sport and must be properly and fairly regulated. But get preoccupied with them at your peril. The nerds amongst us (and yes, I'm one) get absorbed by such topics but imagine for a moment. We double the average gate at every speedway meeting in the country. How many of those new fans are coming to see whether a tactical substitute is allowed in heat 8. They want to see exciting racing. The same reason you kept coming after that first exposure to our great sport.

Top down. Not bottom up.

I've always advocated that playing about with the rules doesn't actually increase potential "new fans"...it just pisses off those who already attend with silly rule changes just for the sake of shaking things up in the eyes of the promoters.

• Like 6

On 2/1/2023 at 8:32 PM, Roger Jacobs said:

What has happened in previous seasons is irrelevant, because as we know the Regs are fiddled with every winter.  Even so, I think the version of Reg 12.02 in the 2022 set was rehashed from before, because of the previous problems and other changes, e.g. the Transfer Window, etc.  Every time the BSPA & SCB make a cock-up with the Regs, they patch them up, but don't seem to conduct a thorough review. Any idiot can see that "proven long term injury" is a hopelessly vague statement (any idiot except the BSPA and the SCB).  The point is that Belle Vue didn't make a tactical change, it was made because their #1 rider was absent with a proven long term injury - what ever period was set as a precedent (possibly based on Jake Allen's and Erik Riss's absences), and was completely within the 2022 Regs.

Of course it’s relevant. Wolves were refused using Tai when both Freddie and Jacob had season ending injuries before the play offs. Somewhere either that’s been ignored or conveniently allowed for one team to benefit. 
obviously the rules are mostly nonsense hence why those clever promoters know exactly how to get around those loopholes. Obviously they don’t want to fully tighten them because it’s still all about self interest.

Hopefully the ruling body will see what a mistake they made allowing a rider to be signed AFTER the deadline AND DURING the play offs.

It’s a dangerous precedent they are setting to allow that to happen again.

Its a total farce to allow a rider to sign ONLY for the only play offs when their contribution to the UK league is nothing.

I read an article in an October SS that Lambert said he would be interested in riding in the UK in 2023 (despite adding a lighter schedule works for him) so I wonder how those negotiations are going?

Looking at the bigger picture allowing a BRIT to return to the UK should be welcomed however it really sticks in the throat when in reality he has no interest in riding in the UK league anymore.

• Thanks 2

Glad to get my old account back finally. 

did I miss anything this last couple of years???

On 1/8/2023 at 6:52 PM, Daniel Smith said:

He won't be in the team on 4.40. He'll be on his rolling average of 5.86. 4.40 is team building only. 

On 1/8/2023 at 7:44 PM, Gambo said:

I just wonder how many more times this will have to be pointed out to people!:rolleyes:

But Brennan is at reserve!

• Haha 1

According to stats on the British speedway website April averages will be as follows:

Dan Bewley 8.95
Brady Kurtz 8.22
Charles Wright 6.55
Tom Brennan 5.74
Norick Blodorn 5.33
Jaimon Lidsey 5.16
Jake Mulford RS

Bewley has a 20 match rolling ave, the rest 11 match rolling aves. So looks like they are adding this seasons matches to last year's till they reach 20 matches.

On 3/24/2023 at 12:15 AM, szkocjasid said:

According to stats on the British speedway website April averages will be as follows:

Dan Bewley 8.95
Brady Kurtz 8.22
Charles Wright 6.55
Tom Brennan 5.74
Norick Blodorn 5.33
Jaimon Lidsey 5.16
Jake Mulford RS

Bewley has a 20 match rolling ave, the rest 11 match rolling aves. So looks like they are adding this seasons matches to last year's till they reach 20 matches.

April averages are out & Lidsey moves to reserve. Belle Vue should be very potent as long as Lidsey is at reserve.

A Speedway rider from Belle Vue

liked to be in front for the view

when he made a mistake

he would make it late

then end up using the loo

• Sad 1

On 4/9/2023 at 7:31 PM, rearingtogo said:

A Speedway rider from Belle Vue

liked to be in front for the view

when he made a mistake

he would make it late

then end up using the loo

Are you bored.

On 6/13/2023 at 3:39 PM, perspicacia said:

Is it time to replace Jake Mulford? 

I don't see why they would. They obviously weren't planning to have the strongest "RS" otherwise they wouldn't have gone for Mulford (no offence). Nothing has changed in that perspective. Perhaps they could strengthen up in time for the play-offs, but until then - no rush!

we will get lambert back for the playoffs:rofl: