British Speedway Forum

5 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

This is why I like Ritchie, top fella. 

At least he's honest and open... Just got to ask him on Twitter. Although if they do end up announcing anyone other than Emil (or another big GP star who needs a visa) then it's going to be a huge let down...

17 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

At least he's honest and open... Just got to ask him on Twitter. Although if they do end up announcing anyone other than Emil (or another big GP star who needs a visa) then it's going to be a huge let down...

Agree it will be a disappointment but I guess you can’t rule out further potential problems. Tricky things these visas. Agree with the point above as well. If plans are in place but nothing to announce for a few weeks yet, that rules out the theory of two British based riders otherwise it wouldn’t take weeks to sort. May end up going back to those over here though I suppose if things don’t work out but at the moment it’s clearly a waiting game. 

Edited by Arch Stanton

On 1/13/2023 at 4:23 PM, Diamonds85 said:

No offence to Matej, he's one of my all time favourite riders... BUT he is no replacement for Emil, not anymore

In the UK league there wouldn’t be much between them but I agree elsewhere. 

On 1/13/2023 at 8:00 PM, Baldyman said:

Wouldn't bring me in,,, 

Nor me.

I’m surprised dudek hasn’t been mentioned.  He is interested in the uk. Providing his financial terms are met. Another top quality rider who would be tremendous for Ipswich. 

46 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

I’m surprised dudek hasn’t been mentioned.  He is interested in the uk. Providing his financial terms are met. Another top quality rider who would be tremendous for Ipswich. 

I mentioned him months ago,, along with Vaculik 

Edited by Baldyman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

I'm sure it was mentioned b4 either on this thread or another one that Dudek was after summit like 6k a meeting guaranteed, whether that's true or not who knows.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kevin bass said:

I'm sure it was mentioned b4 either on this thread or another one that Dudek was after summit like 6k a meeting guaranteed, whether that's true or not who knows.

156 grand over the season. Nobody is paying that kind of money if those demands are true. Better off chucking Rasmus Jensen his 20k to set up in the Uk and then a decent pounds for points contract. Would probably come to half of that 156k. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

156 grand over the season. Nobody is paying that kind of money if those demands are true. Better off chucking Rasmus Jensen his 20k to set up in the Uk and then a decent pounds for points contract. Would probably come to half of that 156k. 

I think a lot of fans don't understand the costs of a top class rider. Jason Doyle won't be far behind those numbers & Ipswich chasing Emil who also will be on or close to those numbers. 

£650 per point based on a just over 9 average isn't such an unreasonable demand for such high quality is it?? 

• Like 1

The top GP boys no doubt are on top money if the rumours from last season were correct and that Lambert was on 5k a meeting for Belle Vue, but it's the guaranteed bit i don't like about these deals, no riders gonna bust a gut if he gets paid the same if he scores 2 points or 12 points.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, kevin bass said:

The top GP boys no doubt are on top money if the rumours from last season were correct and that Lambert was on 5k a meeting for Belle Vue, but it's the guaranteed bit i don't like about these deals, no riders gonna bust a gut if he gets paid the same if he scores 2 points or 12 points.

Think it was more 6k a meeting 

18 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

Good job he only done a meeting then...

4 meetings ...

And I'm sure BV covered it with the prize money :D

Edited by Roger Jacobs

2 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

I think a lot of fans don't understand the costs of a top class rider. Jason Doyle won't be far behind those numbers & Ipswich chasing Emil who also will be on or close to those numbers. 

£650 per point based on a just over 9 average isn't such an unreasonable demand for such high quality is it?? 

Compared to what, though?

If we had any idea of pay and costs, we might be able to make our own "value" judgements.

200 season tickets at £250 nets Ipswich £50,000 up front. Maybe as many as 700 adults paying £22 admission nets £15,400 per home match. Concessions (£225 & £20) not counted in either of those guesses. 13 guaranteed home team fixtures gives roughly a total of £250,000 income for the year.

Stadium rental, wages for Chris Louis - at least costs and expenses (and for Ritchie Hawkins?) - plus seven riders (at £30k each that's £210k!) and miscellaneous costs (maintenance of track equipment, safety fence, etc.). Everything else, voluntary and good will ...

I've never tried to do these sums before - obviously it's all guesses - but it's clear that there's no money in the sport ...