British Speedway Forum

If Riss was to end his season early we could have Lewis Kerr to guest for the cup !!!

riss was woeful tonight. Kept looking behind even when last. I think he was expecting the tractor to pass him.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

If Riss was to end his season early we could have Lewis Kerr to guest for the cup !!!

riss was woeful tonight. Kept looking behind even when last. I think he was expecting the tractor to pass him.  

He’s been like that since he attempted to come back. Still sharp out the gate, but then it’s a desperate bid to hold on for 4 laps resulting in getting passed by most. So slow and tentative. 

Isn’t really a surprise reading his latest comments that he still isn’t right, and he doesn’t expect to get back to where he was before the season is completed. Fair play for his honesty, but again that begs the question why the promotion have failed to address this ongoing situation all season long as they simply must have known his situation also? It’s the sole reason we’re not in the play offs we’ve carried a 6 point man all year and we’ve lost tight meetings because of it. 

On Rew, think you can pencil him in for next year going by Hawkins’ comments..

I thought the effort Keynan put in at reserve was superb and if he can put everything like that into every meeting then next season you will really see him push on“

Oh Well,

It seems it's 5th for us this season(out of 7)

Weve had Emil and Jason Doyle all season, don't think either have missed a meeting, and have entertained us every week and i'm sure most honest Speedway supporters, and fans of the other 6 teams will agree they have entertained those supporters as well.

Yes we have a Cup Final to look forward to, and a Cup is a Cup as they say in most sports.

We are also lucky to have a team to go and support every week in a declining league, i seriously get that point before any mud is thrown my way and i can't see who replaces Wolverhampton next season, rumours i hear are Oxford, possibly Poole(but i hope not)but if it is them then id accept it, but it needs to be minimum of 7 teams, but is 8 being to positive.

But my main gripe and question is.......Is 5th place a failure, especially with our 2 big hitters, big mistakes have been made by management, and i mean the biggest being Ritchie Hawkins still being at the club, as ive boringly said on here before, 47 years a Foxhall supporter, he for me is the worst manager ive tactically seen for years.

But should some blame be at Chris Louis door, i cant knock the loyalty shown to Erik Riss, but all those weeks of using R/R, relying on Danny King to get extra points, again Hawkins go to man in Heat 15 on some occasions this season(painful to watch). I hear there are no riders out there, and i'm not saying there was, but surely somebody could of come in for Erik 8 weeks ago, and scored a couple of more points than Erik did in those losses at Home to Belle Vue and at some away meetings where 3 or 4 more points on our league finish would of had us 2nd or 3rd and we wouldnt be riding Belle Vue until possibly the Final.

And i can,t write this without the many many interviews before home meetings where Hawkins has said the League is our main aim, we must get top 4, that's all we are concerned about this season, anything else is a failure, his own words.

So Thank you for another season completed, apart from next Thursday's 2nd leg, which is now i agree a big meeting, thanks to all of the volunteers who help every week, to all the Track workers as well, all valuable members of this Ipswich Speedway Family.

And finally from me a Big Thank You to Ritchie Hawkins for a 5th place finish(unless Peterborough cause a miracle)for failing to make the Play Offs where he has had the best 2 riders ive seen at Foxhall for many many seasons in Jason Doyle and Emil Sayfutdinov.

Oh and for me, Jason Doyle must return next season as Captain, that for this sad old supporter is a must.

Enjoy your break everybody, and let's hope team building goes well for next season, and hope i see many of you at the Presentation Meal in November

• Like 1

I will say it was a very entertaining season, obviously Doyle and Sayfutdinov being the highlights, while I think this will be Hume's last season in the premiership for a while his determination and occasionally beating a big name was also great.

The Ipswich management will have to wonder why a team with 2 of the best riders in the world has failed to make the playoffs. I think the main reason is still the rising stars. Failing to sign Kemp ( or Rowe) when the had 2 clear opportunities to do so has cost them and it was Kemp who scored 11+1 last night who has got the Lions into the playoffs.

In the end we should be thankful we have a team to support and they have won a good number of meetings this season.

For me as a Peterborough supporter and therefore a neutral opinion the writing was on the wall from the very first meeting for Ipswich. Only winning 42-48 in a meeting that was neck and neck until heat 13 against a poor Panthers side at the Showground (without Nicki Pedersen as well after heat 1) Very surprised changes wasn’t made especially at 3&4 during the season as well. The KO cup will be some consultation but a very disappointing league campaign ultimately.

• Like 1

You can never read anything from a first meeting of the season as riders are rusty. What cost us is losing 3 meetings at home.

31 minutes ago, Bash said:

You can never read anything from a first meeting of the season as riders are rusty. What cost us is losing 3 meetings at home.

What cost you was a bottom four that rarely scored enough points to back up a very good top three.

You were too top heavy 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

What cost you was a bottom four that rarely scored enough points to back up a very good top three.

You were too top heavy 

Its a team sport and at times the top 2 just didnt help by not riding as team members ,

It only takes a few seconds to look around/across to see if your team mates with you or needs a bit of help 

Doesnt give you team spirit if you have one rider having a go at another team member for being in the way either .

2 hours ago, JoeW436 said:

For me as a Peterborough supporter and therefore a neutral opinion the writing was on the wall from the very first meeting for Ipswich. Only winning 42-48 in a meeting that was neck and neck until heat 13 against a poor Panthers side at the Showground (without Nicki Pedersen as well after heat 1) Very surprised changes wasn’t made especially at 3&4 during the season as well. The KO cup will be some consultation but a very disappointing league campaign ultimately.

That's what I said on the night as well.

Shouldn't have needed Emil & Doyle to drag the Witches over the line against a 6 Man Panthers side that contained Hans and Richie.

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

Its a team sport and at times the top 2 just didnt help by not riding as team members ,

It only takes a few seconds to look around/across to see if your team mates with you or needs a bit of help 

Doesnt give you team spirit if you have one rider having a go at another team member for being in the way either .

That’s rubbish! Not sure how many meeting you went to? There is just the one rider in the team who has never looked for a team mate and on many occasions almost stuck his team mates through the fence. Jason and Emil are the two riders who have put bums on seats as shown my the increased attendances at Foxhall this year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

You were too top heavy 

No, what cost them was an unexpected debilitating illness to a very decent top flight rider in Erik Riss, and an unlucky pre-season crash for what would have been one of the better rising stars in the league in Jack Thomas. The issue certainly wasn’t going top heavy as you claim. You don’t build a side with two very high averaged riders and expect a potent bottom three as well that’s obvious, but the side Chris Louis put together would have sailed in to the play offs comfortably but for these issues. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Aries said:

No, what cost them was an unexpected debilitating illness to a very decent top flight rider in Erik Riss, and an unlucky pre-season crash for what would have been one of the better rising stars in the league in Jack Thomas. The issue certainly wasn’t going top heavy as you claim. You don’t build a side with two very high averaged riders and expect a potent bottom three as well that’s obvious, but the side Chris Louis put together would have sailed in to the play offs comfortably but for these issues. 

Agree of course, but Louis has to take responsibility for not addressing those issues. With all due respect to Joe Thompson, it was a very strange choice when other better riders were sitting there waiting to be picked, although it’s difficult to be too critical here because we don’t know that one of or both or Kemp and Rowe were asked and said no for whatever reason. 

The biggest and strangest decision (or lack of) is the Riss one. SHOULD have been replaced very early on which even he accepts he expected, but for some reason only Louis knows, he wasn’t. 

3 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I think quite clearly you dont watch Ipswich speedway otherwise you wouldnt say anything at all like you have just said.

King has been the only rider who has hampered his team mates in races 

Helps to have a bit of information before you comment

Next season will be Doyle, Emil, Riss, Rew, Dan Thompson and 2 others , 

Not sure what that would leave but Tom Brennan would be a great signing if surplus to requirements at Belle Vue

6 minutes ago, Gavan said:

I think quite clearly you dont watch Ipswich speedway otherwise you wouldnt say anything at all like you have just said.

King has been the only rider who has hampered his team mates in races 

Helps to have a bit of information before you comment

Next season will be Doyle, Emil, Riss, Rew, Dan Thompson and 2 others , 

Not sure what that would leave but Tom Brennan would be a great signing if surplus to requirements at Belle Vue

I wouldn’t gamble on Riss again Gavan, even on his lower average. Let someone else take the risk this time. 

Adam Ellis has dropped a point off his average after a bad year but as far as I’m aware, it’s not health related? They’re the type of riders to go for. 5.71 average

Edited by Arch Stanton