British Speedway Forum
piepower

Electric speedway the future??

On 11/3/2022 at 2:06 PM, 1 valve said:

Are you saying current engines rev quicker higher than the electric equivalent which would/could cause problems by the electric motors not being powerful enough to cut through/move grippy surfaces?

Judging from the trial that the clip showed, yes, I don't think they'd wheelspin as quick and may lift more.

On 11/4/2022 at 2:21 PM, SPEEDY69 said:

Judging from the trial that the clip showed, yes, I don't think they'd wheelspin as quick and may lift more.

The electric motor spins up a hell of alot quicker than a ice motor , the problem comes at the top not the bottom with electric 

1 hour ago, piepower said:

The electric motor spins up a hell of alot quicker than a ice motor , the problem comes at the top not the bottom with electric 

If you mean the effect at the back wheel then that presents another issue to adapt to as we could see unintentional 'laying it down' mid-bend.  As long as it's able to be progressive it should be possible for a rider to adapt.  How the back wheel reacts to the track surface is critical for the rider to be able to control, to remain in control.

I had an electric trials bike for a while, it was very impressive in most ways.

Lack of power/ torque won't be a problem, there is a MX bike due to start being delivered anytime now that has various power settings but capable of producing 80hp. With electric motors that power can come in right from cracking the throttle if you want it to. The Trials bike and I believe the new MX bike came with assorted power maps as well so it can be equivalent to anything from 80cc to 500cc.

I've seen electric bikes in flat track races as well and there is no doubt the lack of noise seems to detract from the spectacle. However with lack of noise comes a lack of complaints from neighbours as well so I am sure it opens up the possibility of motorcycle sports happening within towns again which is something that Speedway desperately misses. Indoor Speedway on a variety of surfaces is also far more possible.

I would imagine one problem will be cost for a while yet, the Trials bikes are all but double the price of a petrol one and the Stark Varg MX bike is £10k which is a lot nearer a sensible price but still expensive for a Speedway bike. There is a possibility though that you could have series from kids through to GP's using exactly the same setup with different maps and bikes lasting for years with next to no maintenance.

A lot of plusses but the big minus could be whether fans would ever accept quiet Speedway. Following the fuss about silencers and then further noise reduction (some seem to think the bikes are quiet now) I very much doubt that they will.

• Like 2

On 11/12/2022 at 4:28 PM, Vince said:

I had an electric trials bike for a while, it was very impressive in most ways.

Lack of power/ torque won't be a problem, there is a MX bike due to start being delivered anytime now that has various power settings but capable of producing 80hp. With electric motors that power can come in right from cracking the throttle if you want it to. The Trials bike and I believe the new MX bike came with assorted power maps as well so it can be equivalent to anything from 80cc to 500cc.

I've seen electric bikes in flat track races as well and there is no doubt the lack of noise seems to detract from the spectacle. However with lack of noise comes a lack of complaints from neighbours as well so I am sure it opens up the possibility of motorcycle sports happening within towns again which is something that Speedway desperately misses. Indoor Speedway on a variety of surfaces is also far more possible.

I would imagine one problem will be cost for a while yet, the Trials bikes are all but double the price of a petrol one and the Stark Varg MX bike is £10k which is a lot nearer a sensible price but still expensive for a Speedway bike. There is a possibility though that you could have series from kids through to GP's using exactly the same setup with different maps and bikes lasting for years with next to no maintenance.

A lot of plusses but the big minus could be whether fans would ever accept quiet Speedway. Following the fuss about silencers and then further noise reduction (some seem to think the bikes are quiet now) I very much doubt that they will.

However, football, rugby and cricket are quiet sports, much of the noise comes from the crowd, which could happen with 'quiet' speedway. With motorised speedway, you can hardly hear the crowd. In addition, one of the attractions of 'yesteryear' was the whiff of the burning of castor oil in the air. That has virtually disappeared, due to the use of synthetic oils, which the guys use, apparently, to reduce expensive wear to engines. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

However, football, rugby and cricket are quiet sports, much of the noise comes from the crowd, which could happen with 'quiet' speedway. With motorised speedway, you can hardly hear the crowd. In addition, one of the attractions of 'yesteryear' was the whiff of the burning of castor oil in the air. That has virtually disappeared, due to the use of synthetic oils, which the guys use, apparently, to reduce expensive wear to engines. 

...was one of the things that grabbed me when I first attended speedway. I used to stand overlooking the pits taking it in!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1