British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
EnglishRoundabout

Swindon Speedway. Your classic memories.

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

In the early 90's Wolverhampton was like the 51st state....:D

Monmore had USA flags everywhere, and their fans were often in attendance when England rode against the USA in the Midlands, cheering on their stateside brothers...

"Come un Sammoi, an Ronnoi, ya 'orrrll":D

During the middle eighties they were like "mini" Denmark...infact Wolves have never really pushed the British influence in my years of attending speedway.

Travelled down from Cumbria late 80's early 90's for a bank holiday double header, Oxford  in the morning rained off, clear weather rest of day went to Swindon for evening meeting rain arrived meeting called off. 700 miles for 2 rain offs !!!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Neila said:

Travelled down from Cumbria late 80's early 90's for a bank holiday double header, Oxford  in the morning rained off, clear weather rest of day went to Swindon for evening meeting rain arrived meeting called off. 700 miles for 2 rain offs !!!

It took me three atempts to catch a meeting at Boston and then it wasn't a full meeting! First time it was cancelled. Second time the action only got as far as the exclusion lights (even before entering the first bend!) when a bad crash involving Mick Handley (?) called a halt to the proceedings. Third time I arrived late as the World Team Qualifier at King's Lynn over ran!

I put my 1965 memory of the Abbey on Years Gone By-evidently put it in the wrong place  as the actress said to the bishop!!

• Haha 2