British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
EnglishRoundabout

Swindon Speedway. Your classic memories.

Apologies if this is in the wrong section. I couldn’t bring myself to post it in the defunct track section just yet. 

For all supporters to post their favourite memories about Swindon speedway, whether whilst visiting Blunsdon, or riding against Swindon at your particular track. Or for Robins fans to reflect on some fantastic memories. 

• Like 2

Watching Darcy Ward there, couldn't believe what I was witnessing. Always enjoyed my visits

• Like 1

Spent many happy evenings down the road at the "old enemy" with some classic encounters...however, and I'm sure "Robins" fans won't want to be reminded, the night the "Cheetahs" won 56-22 during that glorious year of 1986 (if you were a "Cheetahs" fan!) That apart the memories of Martin Ashby, Bob Kilby and Phil Crump blasting their way round was always a pleasure to behold as well as the likes of Mike Keen and Edgar Stangeland...great memories!

A great track when prepared properly and will be sorely missed.

• Like 2

Richard May beating Barry Briggs -Twice (1972)

Reading coming from 8 down to win in the rain 1973

Every other Racers victory at Swindon

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Richard May beating Barry Briggs -Twice (1972)

Reading coming from 8 down to win in the rain 1973

Every other Racers victory at Swindon

And there were plenty of them :)

• Like 2

Coventry 2007...Adams and Korneliussen lying on the track after a coming together in heat 1. Then Adams and Chrzanowski needing a 5-1 to win 46-44 in heat 15, holding off Schlein and Nicholls to send the visiting Robins fans wild.

The last meeting in 2019 hammering Ipswich to clinch league and cup double. Incredible atmosphere, 3500 singing chanting fans, not knowing it would be the final meeting.

2012 Grand Final v. Poole, winning by 7 points at home on a rain-sodden track, then winning the title at Poole losing 45-44, the first title since 1967.

2017..near the bottom of league, then signing Tobias Musielak, and winning 17 matches in a row., smashing everyone. Losing home leg of final to an understrength Wolves, then winning in last heat at Monmore Green to lift trophy.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1

My memories? Bloody cold and windy!!!

I also think that they produced some of the best looking progs of all time, with some of their full-colour designs of the 40's, 50's, and early 60's.

So many memories cannot mention all of them here goes 1972 New Zealand v Sweden, 1973 New Zealand v Sweden 1977 Malcolm Holloway hitting the flower beds in a junior jaunt race.1973 a double header Swindon v Sheffield and Swindon v Reading.Malcolm Holloway scoring a 12 point maximum against Sheffield beating Shawn Moran twice.1976 Swindon v Sheffield Martin crash Ashby beating the brilliant Tommy Jansson in the golden helmet 1984 Mike Lee killing the brilliant Phil Crump in the golden helmet shedding a tear writing this criminal that the track has been discarded.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

So many memories cannot mention all of them here goes 1972 New Zealand v Sweden, 1973 New Zealand v Sweden 1977 Malcolm Holloway hitting the flower beds in a junior jaunt race.1973 a double header Swindon v Sheffield and Swindon v Reading.Malcolm Holloway scoring a 12 point maximum against Sheffield beating Shawn Moran twice.1976 Swindon v Sheffield Martin crash Ashby beating the brilliant Tommy Jansson in the golden helmet 1984 Mike Lee killing the brilliant Phil Crump in the golden helmet shedding a tear writing this criminal that the track has been discarded.

Some similar moments there to the ones I remember, Sidney. Renember the 1974 double header against Hackney and Belle Vue? My first season and the biggest crowd I ever saw there with Bob Kilby guesting for both sides. Couldn't believe it when it was later announced that Kilby would be at Blunsdon in  1975.

I also remember Malc Holloway riding through the flower beds while the track staff scattered in all directions. So funny.

The Ashby/Jansson Golden Helmet. I git Tommy's autograph that night. 

Crump and Lee was another one. For me, the best riding I've ever seen from any rider ever was Michael Lee that night. He was beating Crump by the length of a straight and pulling wheelies at the same time. I remember it clearly.

Another great memory for me was Andrew Silver coming in as our number 8 and riding straight between a couple of Wolves riders who were team riding on a 5-1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember the excitement created by the signing of Jan Andersson. His first meeting was at Blunsdon, riding at number 4. He flew from the tapes and won his first race in such style. I think we all knew we had a potential superstar on our hands. 

Exeter Falcons visiting with the imperious Ivan Mauger leading the team. Bob Kilby made a fantastic start against Mauger in heat 11. Mauger subsequently chased him down but forced Kilby into the bend four fence. Not sure I’ve ever seen such a furious crowd. There were several people attempting to get to Mauger at the pit gate. 

Edgar Stangeland and Norman Hunter riding in the 1975 Robins team , with Geoff Bouchard riding at reserve  Hope of a decent team forming? Sumner McKnight riding at number two....great leathers, great style, but plenty of last places   

Martin Ashby representing the Robins in the British final at Coventry in 75. A run off with Ray Wilson to decide who would qualify for the world final at Wembley in September. Probably the best match race I’ve ever seen. Ashby missed the start and hunted Wilson to 3 laps, before just edging in front going into the final two bends. However, Ashby allowed just enough room for Wilson to squeeze past him and around the outside for a width of a fronti wheel win. Gutted for Martin. 

Numerous trips on the speedway coach to Hackney, Wimbledon, Sheffield, Halifax, Ipswich, and Kings Lynn during the 70’s. Always received a hammering! Can’t ever remember seeing the Robins win at any of those tracks!

Visiting the fantastic Shay track at Halifax in around 75/76. Geoff Bouchard scoring an amazing 16 points. Mike Keen thumping into the iron fence on bend one, resulting in a serious back injury. The coach broke down on the M6 on the way home. Arriving back in Swindon at 7.30 am. 

The 2007 play off final at Coventry. The coach I was on arrived late due to the traffic around Brandon. A mate rings me to say Sebastian Ullamek has crashed during the warm up......but then wins heat one by a mile! His last contribution of that meeting unfortunately. Arriving at the stadium just in time for heat two....through the main stand. I look across at bends one and two and can honestly say , the biggest away following I’ve seen in speedway. A sea of red and white. BUT, what a let down the evening was, with only Leigh Adams on form. Coventry were really on it and deservedly won. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Grachan said:

Some similar moments there to the ones I remember, Sidney. Renember the 1974 double header against Hackney and Belle Vue? My first season and the biggest crowd I ever saw there with Bob Kilby guesting for both sides. Couldn't believe it when it was later announced that Kilby would be at Blunsdon in  1975.

I also remember Malc Holloway riding through the flower beds while the track staff scattered in all directions. So funny.

Crump and Lee was another one. For me, the best riding I've ever seen from any rider ever was Michael Lee that night. He was beating Crump by the length of a straight and pulling wheelies at the same time. I remember it clearly.

Another great memory for me was Andrew Silver coming in as our number 8 and riding straight between a couple of Wolves riders who were team riding on a 5-1.

Lee took a while to get going in 83 but once he did he was very good . 84 before the ban was getting there.quick could beat anyone he beat Crumpie easily that day in the helmet.

12 hours ago, Grachan said:

I was at that meeting I remember watching "Rebel" Bob Kilby guesting for both sides...also Swindon's 25th Anniversary Meeting and Oxford spoiling the party!

The best race I ever saw at the Shabbey was Swindon v Exeter late 60s, Briggo and Crashby neck and neck for 4 laps, Martin winning by a few inches.

39 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

The best race I ever saw at the Shabbey was Swindon v Exeter late 60s, Briggo and Crashby neck and neck for 4 laps, Martin winning by a few inches.

I remember a race between Phil Crump and then "Brummie" Hans Nielsen...super race where they passed and re-passed each other I can't recall how many times. All very fair and each giving the other plenty of room however I can't remember who won?