British Speedway Forum
PhilTheAce

Leicester lions 2023 (PREMIERSHIP)

19 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

There will be a puppet on a stick nominally fronting one club....

Or in the case of Lynn/ Peterborough a muppet with 2 coats, one red, one blue to be worn depending on which bandwagon he has jumped on

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 1 valve said:

it remains to be seen if other clubs will do likewise so that the repetitious nature of same teams visiting can be avoided.

We'll have seen Poole & Scunny 3 times at BP this year before the season is out and with PL being down by at least 2 clubs next season I'll be surprised if they don't switch to 2 home and 2 away to match PL

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, iainb said:

We'll have seen Poole & Scunny 3 times at BP this year before the season is out and with PL being down by at least 2 clubs next season I'll be surprised if they don't switch to 2 home and 2 away to match PL

Agreed. But at least Poole & Scunny have been here in 3 separate competitions - allowing for the play off to be regarded as thus. 
No doubt you are correct re 2 home & 2 away - and will not be a surprise if at some point on at least one occasion a team will visit BP on back to back weeks - Not what the fans will want to see. 

• Like 1

Can't help thinking there's changes afoot for CL which Leicester don't like the look of. Maybe some stringent new rules on team-building aimed at "levelling down" the league, and they've decided this will have an adverse effect on attendances and income and if a major sponsor doesn't like it, that's maybe a large factor. There's also the danger of "same again" becoming the norm and boredom setting in.

The last time Leicester went up a level it was too soon and was basically part of a vanity project and those rarely have good outcomes. In the end riders didn't want to come to Leicester. Dropping back down saved the club's bacon and it was the only way forward. 

I'm sure the Bateses and Stewart D. will be doing this for very sound reasons and financial considerations at the top of the priorities.

As for a team, Sam Masters is king of Beaumont Park, maybe Klindt will be able to do UK, and how's the chances of Szymon Wozniak coming back?

1 hour ago, Big Al said:

There's also the danger of "same again" becoming the norm and boredom setting in.

I do feel that it's already got to a point where apart from maybe Poole and Glasgow the other home matches this year have been foregone conclusions. Whilst the racing has been good despite the scores there's less tension (for me anyway!) and therefore less crowd involvement in urging them on because it's been so comfortable again. 

I do think that despite some reservations in general and dislike of non-Saturday night racing the set up we have now is far, far better than when we did it before in terms of confidence and professionalism.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Big Al said:

how's the chances of Szymon Wozniak coming back?

Depends on the limitations imposed on Polish League riders, I'm sure he'd be on an absolute bargain average.  It seems unlikely that he'll now surpass fellow Poles his age so a GP spot would have to be through the qualifiers or SEC.  He rode 10 matches in Elitserien last year.
Would think Howarth would stay at Sheffield if he had the choice.

10 hours ago, iainb said:

The DU's will still need plenty of rides so more than likely...

Was Pieszczek the other Pole who spent a year with Leicester?

2 hours ago, Col said:

Was Pieszczek the other Pole who spent a year with Leicester?

Yes

Thought so, but he doesn't seemed to have kicked on in the Polish league.

26 minutes ago, Col said:

Thought so, but he doesn't seemed to have kicked on in the Polish league.

No he hasn't. I don't think he fitted in too well. Seemed a bit detached and possibly didn't speak much English which couldn't have helped. Whereas Wozniak had more of an outgoing personality and was able to get the fans on his side.

Fair play for them giving it a go...

Maybe, similar to Peterborough and Kings Lynn, having one owner with two clubs will help with costs and help subsidise each other. .?

Running off a Saturday night is a big risk though I would suggest...

As. Even with Doyle they struggled to make Thursdays pay, hence they dropped..

Good luck to them though.  

Let's hope the team averages allow them to build a competitive team, which engages the crowd. ..

From speaking to a few lions fans last night there some optimism that we can attract some big names. Robert Lambert was mentioned a few times. Although I'd expect him to be off to belle Vue. Everyone wants mountain back pretty much and most would like Richie Worrall. It's a mystery really. And..also nobody think Harris should be there . We love him but has never got on with the track one bit.

12 hours ago, mikebv said:

Fair play for them giving it a go...

Maybe, similar to Peterborough and Kings Lynn, having one owner with two clubs will help with costs and help subsidise each other. .?

Running off a Saturday night is a big risk though I would suggest...

As. Even with Doyle they struggled to make Thursdays pay, hence they dropped..

Good luck to them though.  

Let's hope the team averages allow them to build a competitive team, which engages the crowd. ..

With the names rumoured to be going to Leicester seems like they will be fine!