British Speedway Forum
PhilTheAce

Leicester lions 2023 (PREMIERSHIP)

8 hours ago, Spidvej said:

Yet Rosco has more titles on his CV than the back catalogue of the all Lions managers put together. 

Although 2017 was pretty much handed to him on a plate, they did make hard work of it though.

20 hours ago, SSL84 said:

Hi iainb hope your not feeling to down?  Got to say I was convinced they would make the play-offs even after the wolves loss. How long before you calm down.  Lol. Anyway from what I've been told you will have a lot to look forward to.  

Spill spill spill

19 hours ago, Teromaafan said:

Here’s a thought. Assuming that the Lions come to tapes next season (pray that they do and I don’t think that many people have a strong preference for either league), with new owners, would Dickson be asked or want to manage the team? Would supporters want him at the helm? If he isn’t here for whatever reason, who else would be suitable to take over? There is a very experienced man currently managing at a West Midlands track which may not be there next season. Although he only smiles every eclipse or by appointment I personally wouldn’t mind him at Leicester. What do others think?

Don’t think Birmingham are planning to dispose of Laurence Rogers if they run! ;-)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Call me wolfie said:

Although 2017 was pretty much handed to him on a plate, they did make hard work of it though.

He has won more titles than just 2017. 

Not sure what your point is ? Is it “Rosco has still won more titles than Leicester, but hey, let’s try and knock the bloke” 

Oh well, if clutching at straws makes you feel better, you crack on ! 

3 hours ago, DiveBomb said:

Spill spill spill

Prepare for a Jubilee Trophy... sometime in mid November :D

10 minutes ago, iainb said:

Prepare for a Jubilee Trophy... sometime in mid November :D

Best time of the year speedway clearly 

On 9/8/2023 at 9:59 PM, Teromaafan said:

Agreed. But then again you or me might have done a better job than Hemsley, Norris Allen and Jim Lynch. Can’t believe that the latter once said that he just wanted riders to go out and enjoy it. Great motivation…….if you are in charge of an Under 7’s Sunday Morning football team. The current GB manager never really impressed when he was here either. It didn’t escape my notice when Steady picked Ellis for GB in the World Cup (nothing to do with the Sheffield connection I’m sure) where he looked out of his depth. It can’t be that difficult to pick the best four in form riders for such an occasion. Without saying a word, he has confirmed that this was a mistake by releasing the same rider from the club he manages!

I'll have to defend Stead on this one, Ellis was the in form rider - in Poland, I don't believe he was out of his depth, but even if he was - I'm sure any alternative would have been equally out if their depth - GB had 3 GP standard riders, racing 3 opponents with 4 GP standard riders imo.

It certainly made sense to replace him for Sheffield (but Opole didn't drop him).

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I'll have to defend Stead on this one, Ellis was the in form rider - in Poland, I don't believe he was out of his depth, but even if he was - I'm sure any alternative would have been equally out if their depth - GB had 3 GP standard riders, racing 3 opponents with 4 GP standard riders imo.

It certainly made sense to replace him for Sheffield (but Daugavpils didn't drop him).

He rides for Kolejarz Opole, in Poland 

On 9/8/2023 at 9:59 PM, Teromaafan said:

Agreed. But then again you or me might have done a better job than Hemsley, Norris Allen and Jim Lynch. Can’t believe that the latter once said that he just wanted riders to go out and enjoy it. Great motivation…….if you are in charge of an Under 7’s Sunday Morning football team. The current GB manager never really impressed when he was here either. It didn’t escape my notice when Steady picked Ellis for GB in the World Cup (nothing to do with the Sheffield connection I’m sure) where he looked out of his depth. It can’t be that difficult to pick the best four in form riders for such an occassion. Without saying a word, he has confirmed that this was a mistake by releasing the same rider from the club he manages!

This was done to absolute death at the time but there were no obvious candidates after Lambert, Bewley & Woffy. So they sensibly went for two other Brits who ride in Poland regularly and have experience on continental tracks. Very difficult to imagine anyone else doing any better than Adam Ellis did.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tyler42 said:

He rides for Kolejarz Opole, in Poland 

Cheers, you're right, it was Daugavpils last year

• Like 1

On 9/8/2023 at 8:35 PM, Teromaafan said:

Exactly, did the double. Thought Dickson was going to be the Pep Guardiola of speedway at that point. Only the lack of a Saudi investor got in his way. (Just off to get my coat).

Pep Guardiola!! Come off it. The only tractor you'll see that bloke driving is one of those huge Mercedes, and as for helping to clean the bogs.....

18 hours ago, Spidvej said:

He has won more titles than just 2017. 

Not sure what your point is ? Is it “Rosco has still won more titles than Leicester, but hey, let’s try and knock the bloke” 

Oh well, if clutching at straws makes you feel better, you crack on ! 

Not at all, it still irks that we had to.go into the final without our top 2 riders and only lost by a single point. Not really sure why you’re being so touchy about it!!!

We are told that several parties have expressed an interest in taking over the Lions next year. Does anybody know if Chapman is one of these by chance?

13 hours ago, Teromaafan said:

We are told that several parties have expressed an interest in taking over the Lions next year. Does anybody know if Chapman is one of these by chance?

Depends on your sources. All I will say is that the new potential owner was at the cubs meeting last Saturday.. 

2 hours ago, DiveBomb said:

Depends on your sources. All I will say is that the new potential owner was at the cubs meeting last Saturday.. 

If you're referring to Mr Hemsley, isn't he already the owner? David Darcy said a few weeks ago on the centre green that it's the promotors licence that is up for sale, not the ownership of the club.