British Speedway Forum
jbell1995

Plymouth Gladiators 2023

On 11/21/2022 at 11:02 AM, torpointfanatic22 said:

Morley on that average in the main body would be a poor signing. Starke a much better option if it fitted. 

With the averages now finalised I'd say Worrall, Barker, Gilkes and Bowtell are no-brainers for Plymouth.

Think you're right about Barker when it comes to no-brain! :D

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

Think you're right about Barker when it comes to no-brain! :D

When in doubt - sign a relative!!!

12 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

When in doubt - sign a relative!!!

Mr snidey is back!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lewy said:

Mr snidey is back!

Yes nice to see you back Lewy!

I had no idea that Barker is Mark Phillips nephew until I read about it in last week's Star!

Edited by Skidder1

16 hours ago, cinderfella said:

Actually makes you wonder why they didn't just go to 6 man teams or 8 man teams with two reserves with no averages.

Give the reserves 4 heats against the opposition reserves with a start from each gate position.

Sadly the gulf in ability of the 18 x 2.00 reserves would be massive (see fast track system of a few years ago). Couple of riders would succeed, several would get an average and then miss out the following year whilst ironically those who stayed on a 2.00 could have another chance with even lower rated riders. If the NDL had disappeared then that format of 8 man teams could be an option but otherwise it would be no more than a one season wonder/blunder.

13 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Yes nice to see you back Lewy!

I had no idea that Barker is Mark Phillips nephew until I read about it in last week's Star!

They're are cornish, they're are all related including Chris Harris :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, lewy said:

Are they jam on cream or cream on jam then? I can never remember. It was explained to me once but its scone now!:rofl:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Creekmoor Pirate said:

Looking at your posts I bet your fun to live with. Do you ever say anything supportive ?

Not if i can help it no... 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, lewy said:

They were going to do a TV series  CSI Cornwall until they realised DNA samples would be impossible to work with.

• Haha 3

Can we have a few Gladiator names please Mark & Gazza! 

With one less team in the league it "should" make team building a little easier for 2023.

I'm extremely disappointed the BSPL ditched their 2 home 2 away premier league for 2023, something I think they will regret.   

1 minute ago, Ghosty said:

Can we have a few Gladiator names please Mark & Gazza! 

With one less team in the league it "should" make team building a little easier for 2023.

I'm extremely disappointed the BSPL ditched their 2 home 2 away premier league for 2023, something I think they will regret.   

The Premiership have 2 home, 2 away. I'm assuming you mean the Championship?

I think there were two reasons for this, 1) because the league wouldn't have been finished by September for the play-offs & 2) to keep the NL going, as clubs with 16 home matches were going to pull out of the NL?

7 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

The Premiership have 2 home, 2 away. I'm assuming you mean the Championship?

I think there were two reasons for this, 1) because the league wouldn't have been finished by September for the play-offs & 2) to keep the NL going, as clubs with 16 home matches were going to pull out of the NL?

This league will always be the premier league to a lot of fans.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

This league will always be the premier league to a lot of fans.

Indeed though calling the 'top' division "The Elite" was surely a breach of trade descriptions lol.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

Indeed though calling the 'top' division "The Elite" was surely a breach of trade descriptions lol.

Depends how you look at it.....in terms of the rest of Europe it is/was a long way short of that description but as the highest standard/level of quality in the UK calling our top division the Elite or Premiership is perfectly valid.

11 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Depends how you look at it.....in terms of the rest of Europe it is/was a long way short of that description but as the highest standard/level of quality in the UK calling our top division the Elite or Premiership is perfectly valid.

When you consider that almost 90% of the riders also rode in the 2nd tier that would suggest that a minority of only 10% of riders could be classed as Elite.

But at the end of the day its only a title to make something sound better than it is.

• Like 2