British Speedway Forum

I made a decision to buy a programme at the first meeting I attended in 1976, I have purchased a programme at every meeting since. 

They are stored on boxes and every now and then get a viewing brining back memories that would otherwise disappear.

I am definitely in the yes to a programme camp !!

• Like 5

I was once told by a promoter a couple of years ago that they sold between 3 and 4 hundred programmes a meeting, and their average gate was around the 1500 mark. With the price increases just to get in amongst everything else, I’d imagine that number will fall further and surely the programme will be one of the main things sacrificed for those feeling the pinch. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Dodger Blue said:

I made a decision to buy a programme at the first meeting I attended in 1976, I have purchased a programme at every meeting since. 

They are stored on boxes and every now and then get a viewing brining back memories that would otherwise disappear.

I am definitely in the yes to a programme camp !!

Absolutely couldn't agree more mine date back to1967.

It’s time for the sport to move into the future. That being an app with a scorecard that updates automatically. They could even charge a small nominal fee to use it across a season and might even turn a profit. Shock horror. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, TheGuvnor said:

It’s time for the sport to move into the future. That being an app with a scorecard that updates automatically. They could even charge a small nominal fee to use it across a season and might even turn a profit. Shock horror. 

You cannot put an 'App' in the loft...:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Fair enough. Certainly not the case I’m my experience. 

It depends on the Programme though to be fair, some clubs go the extra mile while others just do the basics.

I certainly don’t think a lot of them are particularly good value and most of them offer very little content.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, TheGuvnor said:

Hope not, a programme doubles as a shield to keep the muck off ya!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

It depends on the Programme though to be fair, some clubs go the extra mile while others just do the basics.

I certainly don’t think a lot of them are particularly good value and most of them offer very little content.

I think the way that some tracks simply almost "gave up" over the years, and just produced a "racing card"  suggests that programmes were "on their way out" at their tracks, and were not cost effective for them...

As has been said, there really should be a "real time" app available that updates each heat, aggregate score, times of each rider, average speed of each rider, averages up to the very moment, riders head to head history etc etc ..

Considering Speedway almost drowns itself in figures, it is a huge opportunity to use them more publicly. 

Baseball is an example where "stats" get used to engage its punters, and keep then informed and hopefully interested..

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mikebv said:

I think the way that some tracks simply almost "gave up" over the years, and just produced a "racing card"  suggests that programmes were "on their way out" at their tracks, and were not cost effective for them...

As has been said, there really should be a "real time" app available that updates each heat, aggregate score, times of each rider, average speed of each rider, averages up to the very moment, riders head to head history etc etc ..

Considering Speedway almost drowns itself in figures, it is a huge opportunity to use them more publicly. 

Baseball is an example where "stats" get used to engage its punters, and keep then informed and hopefully interested..

...and look how popular baseball is!!?;)

39 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

...and look how popular baseball is!!?;)

World Series seats behind the umpire £5000 dollars...:D

Just now, mikebv said:

World Series seats behind the umpire £5000 dollars...:D

Whats the 'world series'? :o

8 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Whats the 'world series'? :o

It's like the American Baseball version of the British Speedway Premiership Play Off Final...

But with massive crowds, huge financial rewards, loads of publicity, everlasting fame, credibility and kudos... :D

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

On the contrary most clubs make decent money on programmes and don’t think that’s likely to change as Curtis Sport prints the majority of them these days.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mikebv said:

It's like the American Baseball version of the British Speedway Premiership Play Off Final...

But with massive crowds, huge financial rewards, loads of publicity, everlasting fame, credibility and kudos... :D

Is that the 'everlasting fame, credibility and kudos' in their own backyard?;)

53 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Is that the 'everlasting fame, credibility and kudos' in their own backyard?;)

Ask world wide who Babe Ruth is,, then ask world wide who Ivan Mauger is,,, and see who wins that. 

Could try the same with the Yankees and Red sox and Poole Pirates and Belle Vue 

Edited by Baldyman
  • Like 1