British Speedway Forum
GregT

Wally Thomas

My brother and i are trying to fill in a missing piece of our dad's history. We were well aware of his speedway history here in NZ. Prewar an A grader at Monica Park in Christchurch and postwar helping to get Aranui started. But what we didn't know was that he'd gone to the Uk prewar and had apparently ridden for Wembley.

We think the years in question would be 1935 - 37.

Any information would be welcomed, dates and the level ridden at particularly.

Thanks in advance

Greg Thomas

I've not come across the name. He was certainly never a contracted Wembley rider. He may have ridden as a junior or novice in second halves, but that would be as far as he got.

I've not come across the name before either, and I can't find any trace of him racing in Britain between 1934 and 1938.

In 1935 a New Zealander by the name of "Thomas" rode in a couple of meetings at the Stade Vélodrome Buffalo in Paris, France. He was in the line-up of nine riders on Sunday, September 1, 1935, for the "Championnat du Monde de Dirt Track", the unofficiall world championship, which was contested in Paris annualy from 1931 to 1935.

He was referred to as Gene Thomas and as Clem Thomas in a couple of French newspaper reports, but the French press was never that accurate when it came to the correct names or the nationalities of the dirt track riders. It could very well be Wally. The only other New Zealanders that ever rode in Paris were Spencer Stratton and 'Mac' Sillick.    

Well, there were another two New Zealanders, who rode in Paris. That's Stewie St.George (though he rode at another Paris track at St.Ouen back in 1928) and Charlie Blacklock (1932/34).

2 hours ago, Bavarian said:

He was referred to as Gene Thomas and as Clem Thomas in a couple of French newspaper reports, but the French press was never that accurate when it came to the correct names or the nationalities of the dirt track riders. It could very well be Wally. 

From the little information I have regarding Clem Thomas I believe he was born in around 1913.  He rode for Lea Bridge/Walthamstow in 1934 and spent the 1935 season with Hackney.  I understand that although he was known as Clem he was sometimes referred to as W.C. Thomas.  I would be interested to know Wally's date and place of birth.  There was a photograph in the Daily Mirror on 4th April 1934, showing Clem Thomas, N. (Jack) Bibby and J. (Fred) Tracey.  They are described as 'three new Australian riders who will be riding for Lea Bridge this season'.  The Daily Mirror, 16th February 1934, stated that Clem Thomas was attached to the Melbourne track in Australia and only recently came into the limelight.  The London Daily News, 5th April 1934, said that Clem was 5 ft 2 ins tall and weighed just 8st.

Edited by BL65
information added.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BL65 said:

There was a photograph in the Daily Mirror on 4th April 1934, showing Clem Thomas, N. (Jack) Bibby and J. (Fred) Tracey.  They are described as 'three new Australian riders who will be riding for Lea Bridge this season'.

And he rode for a "Kangaroos" team at Hackney on 19th August, 1935. Of course, the opposing "Bulldogs" team included Morian Hansen, so that doesn't prove anything...

Thanks for that quick response guys. Wally was W G Thomas, born 1902 Christchurch NZ. I suspect '34 is too early as he rode at the first speedway meeting in ChCh in 1929 then when Monica Park opened he was a regular for several seasons.

One of the things he's remembered for here is leading the strike by the Kiwi team picked for the first test against the visiting UK team. Lets just say there was a massive pay discrepancy between the two teams. The NZ promoters flew a team in from Wellington which featured Charlie Blacklock.

If it helps, Wally Kilminster was a close friend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GregT said:

Thanks for that quick response guys. Wally was W G Thomas, born 1902 Christchurch NZ. I suspect '34 is too early as he rode at the first speedway meeting in ChCh in 1929 then when Monica Park opened he was a regular for several seasons.

One of the things he's remembered for here is leading the strike by the Kiwi team picked for the first test against the visiting UK team. Lets just say there was a massive pay discrepancy between the two teams. The NZ promoters flew a team in from Wellington which featured Charlie Blacklock.

If it helps, Wally Kilminster was a close friend.

That's interesting, and quite possibly helpful. As I said, there's no actual record of a "Wally" Thomas, but old records aren't always accurate. I guess we have some more research to do, to see if we can help you!

Full name was Walton George Thomas.   Never heard of any nicknames either sorry.

And no known history or anecdotal evidence of riding in France either.

Edited by GregT

The Wally Kilmister connection might have some bearing on where/when/if he rode. Could Wally K have for example arranged a ride as a reserve ?

Certainly when dad was in London in 1940 prior to shipping out for Crete he spent time with Wally K. To the extent of doing a couple of days work in Wally K's shop. Probably because they'd been out on the town. There are diary entries confirming that Wally K couldn't stand the pace and had to be poured into his bed at least two nights running. The night life during those years seems to have been frenetic to say the least.

Edited by GregT

13 minutes ago, GregT said:

The Wally Kilmister connection might have some bearing on where/when/if he rode. Could Wally K have for example arranged a ride as a reserve ?

Certainly when dad was in London in 1940 prior to shipping out for Crete he spent time with Wally K. To the extent of doing a couple of days work in Wally K's shop. Probably because they'd been out on the town. There are diary entries confirming that Wally K couldn't stand the pace and had to be poured into his bed at least two nights running. The night life during those years seems to have been frenetic to say the least.

Obviously, Wembley would have been the most likely, but I checked as much as I could find right now - and concentrated on the London clubs. There has to be something on him somewhere!

I have found a Clem Thomas riding at Luton in 1935. Luton was used by Wembley as a nursery track. 

39 minutes ago, norbold said:

I have found a Clem Thomas riding at Luton in 1935. Luton was used by Wembley as a nursery track. 

That's the same Clem Thomas who was with Lea Bridge, Walthamstow and Hackney.  He was in the Hackney reserves team for the match at Luton on 8th June 1935.  He also rode for Hackney reserves in matches at Seaforth, Cardiff and Plymouth that year, as well as representing West Ham reserves at Plymouth.

Edited by BL65
  • Like 1

It's just interesting that we are finding other riders called "Thomas", but back home, it certainly appears that he was just known as "Wally". On Tuesday, December 27, 1932, Monica Park Speedway in Christchurch hosted an Interprovincial contest between Canterbury and Wellington, with Wally Kilmister and Charlie Blacklock as captains. Also on the bill was a "Chevrolet Gold Helmet Race between Wally Thomas and Norm Gray.

The following month, Wally faced Percy Lunn in a challenge race, while there was a three-cornered match race between Kilmister, Blacklock, and Eric Whittle.

There was an article on Speedwayplus which featured all New Zealanders who raced in the UK, and Wally's name isn't listed.