British Speedway Forum

Why can't Poole fans raise some money between them and buy a bit of land off the beaten track and create a track like Workington have done? It doesn't need to be Wembley Stadium. Just one covered stand, 2 air fences, 3 burger vans, 4 portaloos and 5 tons of shale. Get to it Pirates fans!

[edit] I just discovered that you can even rent seated stands.

Edited by Nickinho

47 minutes ago, Nickinho said:

Why can't Poole fans raise some money between them and buy a bit of land off the beaten track and create a track like Workington have done? It doesn't need to be Wembley Stadium. Just one covered stand, 2 air fences, 3 burger vans, 4 portaloos and 5 tons of shale. Get to it Pirates fans!

Where though? I do agree we need to own our own stadium though as otherwise you are just looking at one season at a time or maybe 2 if you pay the rent for a couple of seasons at a time.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lewy said:

Any news on where or if Poole will be riding next season yet?

I'm pretty certain they will be riding next season

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nickinho said:

The price of land in this area is ridiculous. I bet prospective promoters have looked.

Best thing they could do would be buy Poole Stadium.

Cost a pretty penny mind. Then you would see why costs are so expensive!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, weatherman said:

The price of land in this area is ridiculous. I bet prospective promoters have looked.

Cost a pretty penny mind. Then you would see why costs are so expensive!!!!!!!!!!

No need to buy Poole stadium. Just lobby the council to transfer the lease away from GI who are currently not meeting the terms of the lease agreement. The Poole promotion have enough support and experience with their sponsors etc to run the stadium and introduce other activities to it.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

If any Poole fans are interested there is a 'Poole Pirates Speedway' YT channel and there are putting up races from 2002ish onwards plus stuff from 2020 onwards too. Looks like been set up a few weeks ago and quite a lot of race clips on there now! 

16 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

If any Poole fans are interested there is a 'Poole Pirates Speedway' YT channel and there are putting up races from 2002ish onwards plus stuff from 2020 onwards too. Looks like been set up a few weeks ago and quite a lot of race clips on there now! 

https://www.youtube.com/@poolepiratesspeedway

10 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

No need to buy Poole stadium. Just lobby the council to transfer the lease away from GI who are currently not meeting the terms of the lease agreement. The Poole promotion have enough support and experience with their sponsors etc to run the stadium and introduce other activities to it.

Do you not think Stadia UK are not looking at opportunities to get other use from the stadium?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, weatherman said:

Do you not think Stadia UK are not looking at opportunities to get other use from the stadium?

Yes, as mentioned on this thread several pages ago! 'Corporate Hire of the whole stadium 3 times per annum plus permission to run films ie drive-in cinema on a daily basis'!!

Anyone who knows the stadium layout well would undoubtedly question the practicalities of getting vehicular access via the only 2 vehicle access points ie pits and tractor entrances/exits?!

On 4/25/2023 at 3:09 PM, weatherman said:

I think clubs need to start looking into what involvement their local council can play in terms of the land. I think Manchester City Council contributed a lot to Belle Vue's stadium.  In the US, local authorities give HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of dollars towards financing stadia (the Nevada Legislature approved $750 MILLION to help fund the construction of the Raiders' new stadium in Las Vegas). I know the promotors at Armadale looked into this kind of help and didn't get very far because local Scottish politics is a corrupt cesspit and you're more likely to get the go-ahead for a hundred kebab shops on the same high street than you are to get for a speedway stadium on the edge of town but if you can prove that it will bring money/jobs/tourism/reputation into the local area then some councils down south might just help a bit. 

Edited by Nickinho

2 hours ago, Nickinho said:

I think clubs need to start looking into what involvement their local council can play in terms of the land. I think Manchester City Council contributed a lot to Belle Vue's stadium.  In the US, local authorities give HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of dollars towards financing stadia (the Nevada Legislature approved $750 MILLION to help fund the construction of the Raiders' new stadium in Las Vegas). I know the promotors at Armadale looked into this kind of help and didn't get very far because local Scottish politics is a corrupt cesspit and you're more likely to get the go-ahead for a hundred kebab shops on the same high street than you are to get for a speedway stadium on the edge of town but if you can prove that it will bring money/jobs/tourism/reputation into the local area then some councils down south might just help a bit. 

Local council in Poole is pretty much the same, although local elections are due.

1 hour ago, weatherman said:

Local council in Poole is pretty much the same, although local elections are due.

It's the local council in Poole that own the whole stadium site!!

• Like 1

Is there nowhere in the vicinity of Bournemouth Airport which seems to be very underused and a lot of land surrounding it? 

Just thinking that 2 hours speedway a week for 20 odd weeks could hardly be stopped on noise grounds. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

It's the local council in Poole that own the whole stadium site!!

Oh. Then in that case they should have a duty to rehome the club. Spending money on the Pirates cause would be better than whatever they normally waste the taxpayers' money on. Do we really need more rainbow-coloured pedestrian crossings?  

• Like 1

With the amount of debt this crooked lot have run up, I can't see that happening.

It's a huge plot and with other pockets from railway sidings etc nearby, worth some serious money.

Would also cost the council a pretty penny to buy the lease back.

• Like 1