British Speedway Forum

On 12/22/2022 at 2:27 PM, the outsider said:

Finally Joe Thompson another up and coming British racer. Put in some great scores for Leicester last season. At times he was out scoring twin brother Dan who had looked the one developing the faster. JT knows the right way around Scunny haven ridden countless times at Development, National & Champ levels. He could be a real trump card at reserve. 

Difference being Joe only made it out of reserve for 3/4 meetings in the last two seasons. Whereas Dan has held his own as a second string and beat some pretty strong riders in the process, away from BP too. if I recall correctly Dan is 2.5 points above Joe in the averages so I don’t think “had been the one” is accurate. Is the one is more like it. Joe did outscore Dan in some meetings, but let’s not forget he most likely had 7 rides to Achieve it, mainly against weaker riders. 

Edited by Leave some for us.
  • Like 1

I wonder if Adam Roynon was Scunny's target instead of Joe Thompson before Poole came in with the big bucks.

Rob got some new flood lights, I didn't really have any problem with the lights. Its the PA system that's dodgy, with speakers that sometimes stop working. What happened to the score board that was installed, I assume that broke?

Will there be any sort of Scunny merchandise for sale this year, even if there wasn't a proper track shop, how hard would it be to put out a few hats, scarfs and car stickers all of which are free advertising for the speedway. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, eric i said:

I wonder if Adam Roynon was Scunny's target instead of Joe Thompson before Poole came in with the big bucks.

Rob got some new flood lights, I didn't really have any problem with the lights. Its the PA system that's dodgy, with speakers that sometimes stop working. What happened to the score board that was installed, I assume that broke?

Will there be any sort of Scunny merchandise for sale this year, even if there wasn't a proper track shop, how hard would it be to put out a few hats, scarfs and car stickers all of which are free advertising for the speedway. 

I am with you with the PA system. It seems only Rob knows how the electrics in the announcer's box works. Rob himself need"s to invest in a sports mic that is protected from the wind, as soon as he starts walking around we can't hear him.  PA system in the bar, for after meeting talk is also poor. Only the chosen" Inner Sanctum" have access to any merch-not that I am impressed with the ice hockey look in Sheffield colours that they are wearing!

The report in this weeks SS says that fans were approached for what they wanted to see next year. Who are these fans? When were they approached? I, & many others have never been approached for our views whether at the turnstiles, around the stadium or in the clubhouse.

I agree with eric, & many others would too, that the PA system needs looking at whether more/bigger speakers, better microphones or sponge top covers or being taught how to use them properly as it seems, by ear, that the announcer talks in to the microphone then talks away probably when reading info. Possibly employing a DJ for minimal cost will improve this situation & an improvement in music before a meeting, promoting/announcing what is going on, team news, basic rules, etc between heats giving a better atmosphere(MX can do it at Sheffield, Manchester, Birmingham but these are indoor arenas).

The scoreboard issue, from memory, was down to man/women power in the referee's box due to reduced numbers(personnel & covid restrictions).

• Like 1

I am pretty sure shimmy will voice his opinions later. :rolleyes:

When it comes to Scorpions merch, im afraid the thing is there isn't the demand there for it.. Scorpions track staff got the ice hockey jerseys (I must admit i'm not a fan)..

24 minutes ago, ScunnyDan said:

When it comes to Scorpions merch, im afraid the thing is there isn't the demand there for it.. Scorpions track staff got the ice hockey jerseys (I must admit i'm not a fan)..

I find that hard to believe, it doesn't cost that much to get custom merchandise made and its not like they go off. It wouldn't have to be a full on shop just a few items that say Scunthorpe speedway, they could sell them by the bar in the club house.

i am prety sure the announcer wears a mic that hangs around the neck so when he turns his head it doesn't pick him up?    what he needs is a gaming headset.

As for the set up in the clubhouse i think the riders should be interviewed along the sides near the windows as i think they are too near the equipment hence feedback.

If we miss out on playoffs, koc and Bsn trophy there will be no need for floodlights.....the ice hockey tops as dan says were for track staff, probs to look more professional on streaming? deffo wrong colour though

5 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

The report in this weeks SS says that fans were approached for what they wanted to see next year. Who are these fans? When were they approached? I, & many others have never been approached for our views whether at the turnstiles, around the stadium or in the clubhouse.

I agree with eric, & many others would too, that the PA system needs looking at whether more/bigger speakers, better microphones or sponge top covers or being taught how to use them properly as it seems, by ear, that the announcer talks in to the microphone then talks away probably when reading info. Possibly employing a DJ for minimal cost will improve this situation & an improvement in music before a meeting, promoting/announcing what is going on, team news, basic rules, etc between heats giving a better atmosphere(MX can do it at Sheffield, Manchester, Birmingham but these are indoor arenas).

The scoreboard issue, from memory, was down to man/women power in the referee's box due to reduced numbers(personnel & covid restrictions).

Having a decent DJ/Presenter is surely a minimum requirement these days, whether working alone or with a Centregreen Announcer?! 

Poole's DJ - Karlito - has just been selected for all the 2023 SGP series.  Not everyone will always agree with the choice of music but nobody can disagree that it dramatically improves the atmosphere and fan experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ScunnyDan said:

So you and I and plenty of others, have been wearing Jake Allen, or Jordan Palin gear that they can   promote, but the club itself can't be bothered!!!

5 hours ago, ScunnyDan said:

4 hours ago, eric i said:

I find that hard to believe, it doesn't cost that much to get custom merchandise made and its not like they go off. It wouldn't have to be a full on shop just a few items that say Scunthorpe speedway, they could sell them by the bar in the club house.

31 minutes ago, scunny1 said:

So you and I and plenty of others, have been wearing Jake Allen, or Jordan Palin gear that they can   promote, but the club itself can't be bothered!!!

There is a supporter who went out of his way to source polo shirts(£10) & hoodies(£15) with a Scunthorpe Scorpions emblem on the front. I mentioned it on here on a meeting towards the end of the season. We can be found in & in front of the 4th bend stand.

1 hour ago, scunny1 said:

Better to help the riders out and buy theirs 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ScunnyDan said:

But you wear one!!!!! .......(FREE?)

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

But you wear one!!!!! .......(FREE?)

you've gotta do what you've gotta do to prove your staff these days

May be an image of ‎2 people, motorcycle, outdoors and ‎text that says "‎ROCKOIL SCUNTHORPE 5TH MARCH SPEEDWAY SCUNTHOPE SPEEDWAY TITANS OF DIRT Wسdan ASP LET SMONED EW LIVE STREAM FOOTAGE SUPPORTED BY SCORPIONSTV SCUNTHORPE SPEEDWAY AMATEUR MEETING LIVE STREAM LIVE ON E-SPEEDWAY FACEBOOK PAGE 11AM START‎"‎‎

For anyone interested, this Sunday's amateur meeting including the all new E Speedway will be Live streamed straight to E-Speedways Facebook page, free of charge to view

• Like 1