British Speedway Forum

5 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Great post and is totally the right way to go 

You would like to think that it was also the "common sense" way of doing it.. 

Putting young lads up against some of the World's Top 10 without giving them the safety net of not being dropped is ludicrous to be honest..

Putting career pressure on young lads to score points against the likes of Doyle, Emil, Bewley, Fricke, and Holder simply helps no one, neither team, nor individual, nor watching fans....

I often hear Promoters bemoaning all the advantages the Poles have re their continued "conveyor belt of talent", and I get that owning their own tracks and/or having access to them at anytime is an advantage...

But I can pretty much guarantee that if four U21 lads rode at 6 and 7 in every single 2nd and 3rd tier meeting that took place over here, with 3 rides a meeting each guaranteed like the Poles do, you would have a much larger "conveyor belt of talent" over here..

You could even add to the "ring fenced mix", those aged 21+ riders who are "newbies" to the sport, as some of top riders down the years didnt start riding Speedway till well into their 20's..

I thought the Covid break would have given those who run the sport a huge opportunity to implement the radical change in operating model that is so clearly required...

Sadly they passed up the chance to move the sport forward long term, just like the promoters did when the Sky money was just used in the main to pay for GP riders, rather than increasing the awareness of the sport through marketing, and setting up a proper development programme for young riders..

Ring fencing four U21 lads per meeting to take a minimum collective 12 rides out of the 60 on offer, just may, (will), unearth GB riders to fill places in 1 to 5's down the line in the 3rd and 2nd tier's at the least..

And it also wont throw them in at the deep end without arm bands to help them float like currently can happen..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Putting young lads up against some of the World's Top 10 without giving them the safety net of not being dropped is ludicrous to be honest..

Putting career pressure on young lads to score points against the likes of Doyle, Emil, Bewley, Fricke, and Holder simply helps no one, neither team, nor individual, nor watching fans....

I often hear Promoters bemoaning all the advantages the Poles have re their continued "conveyor belt of talent", and I get that owning their own tracks and/or having access to them at anytime is an advantage...

But I can pretty much guarantee that if four U21 lads rode at 6 and 7 in every single 2nd and 3rd tier meeting that took place over here, with 3 rides a meeting each guaranteed like the Poles do, you would have a much larger "conveyor belt of talent" over here..

You could even add to the "ring fenced mix", those aged 21+ riders who are "newbies" to the sport, as some of top riders down the years didnt start riding Speedway till well into their 20's..

I thought the Covid break would have given those who run the sport a huge opportunity to implement the radical change in operating model that is so clearly required...

Sadly they passed up the chance to move the sport forward long term, just like the promoters did when the Sky money was just used in the main to pay for GP riders, rather than increasing the awareness of the sport through marketing, and setting up a proper development programme for young riders..

Ring fencing four U21 lads per meeting to take a minimum collective 12 rides out of the 60 on offer, just may, (will), unearth GB riders to fill places in 1 to 5's down the line in the 3rd and 2nd tier's at the least..

And it also wont throw them in at the deep end without arm bands to help them float like currently can happen..

The thing is the changes we talk about are easy to implement, but nothing will happen until the ppl tht run the sport change sadly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

Good stuff but,,, it fell down in the first sentence, ("common sense"). ;)

• Haha 2

Every youngsters ambition is get into Poland as soon as possible nowadays.You can’t really blame them.But it’s tough gig and not many will survive IMO.ThePoles look after their own unlike us.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Every youngsters ambition is get into Poland as soon as possible nowadays.You can’t really blame them.But it’s tough gig and not many will survive IMO.ThePoles look after their own unlike us.

And with their U24 league, the Poles are training up our lads too...

Obvously with self interest of course so their three leagues will have decent riders to fill positions 1 to 5...

They definitely don't rest on their laurels and look no further than getting the next meeting on..

They plan to be "the top table" for many years to come and have actually got the UK as a reference point to use from when this country ruled the roost..

"Don't do what they did" being their plan..

19 minutes ago, mikebv said:

And with their U24 league, the Poles are training up our lads too...

Obvously with self interest of course so their three leagues will have decent riders to fill positions 1 to 5...

They definitely don't rest on their laurels and look no further than getting the next meeting on..

They plan to be "the top table" for many years to come and have actually got the UK as a reference point to use from when this country ruled the roost..

"Don't do what they did" being their plan..

Like you say they will be at the “Top Table” dominating the sport for many years to come.When you look at the Multinational and Conglomerates sponsorship involved in the backing of the sport other Countries have very little chance of competing financially at the top of the sport,and they are making sure that the best riders will be there in the future.When you see the presentation and the Media coverage they involve in EVERY meeting you can see why.Very Professional.Some of the racing might not be any better than GB,but the credibility is there to see.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 3

Reading what everyone is posting is very interesting how ironic that the club that has done this to a young English talent who was very good against my team last Tuesday is run by the person who is the chairman of British speedway I feel sorry for joe Thompson I really do.

• Like 3

I see wolves having a bit of a gripe about the same sort of situation with Becker. Suppose slight difference being he's expected to be back this month but Kennedy most likely miss the season. Does seem a bit odd that all these decisions are made on the whim of Neil vatcher right enough 

How does a professional sport like speedway allow only one person Neil Vatcher make these decisions surely a committee of 3 or 5 people should make these decisions . Ex riders and promoters should be involved in decision making 

16 minutes ago, Tosh1218 said:

How does a professional sport like speedway allow only one person Neil Vatcher make these decisions surely a committee of 3 or 5 people should make these decisions . Ex riders and promoters should be involved in decision making 

Don’t be silly Tosh that’s way to sensible what your saying,I think sometimes the people at the top of our sport treat it like a plaything and at the end of the day it’s a young lads career .

On 5/6/2023 at 8:39 PM, IronScorpion said:

I rest my case with the decisions made by the Scunthorpe Promotion & as I said before, 1 change was required but Rome wasn't built in a day.

Glasgow next week not an easy test to resolve things but I am still gutted & disappointed.

So Rome wasn`t  built in a day but it burnt down very quickly. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mikebv said:

The almost made an effort to do this with the rising star rule, however this FIVE year plan only lasted ONE year in the Championship. Credit to the Prem teams for sticking with it.

2 hours ago, Jaizer said:

I see wolves having a bit of a gripe about the same sort of situation with Becker. Suppose slight difference being he's expected to be back this month but Kennedy most likely miss the season. Does seem a bit odd that all these decisions are made on the whim of Neil vatcher right enough 

VVVVVVVVatcher is a CCCCClown,makes rules(and changes them)as/when it suits him #jobsworth powermadidiot.lovestheglory..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bigred said:

VVVVVVVVatcher is a CCCCClown,makes rules(and changes them)as/when it suits him #jobsworth powermadidiot.lovestheglory..

Is he still head of youth championship etc? Bit of irony this decision cost a young Brit a job

12 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Great post and is totally the right way to go 

Would like to see the 18 British under 21 reserves you would like to see next season , all of a similar standard of course 

• Like 1