British Speedway Forum

55 minutes ago, Gazc said:

It’s a shame the way things have went for Berwick this season , injuries have played a big part in how it has panned out but after witnessing their performance last night well that was shocking.

The fans. deserve so much better I suppose budget has played a big part in the team assembled but certain riders based on there averages should be doing much better than they are.

Injuries are not an excuse as all clubs have them. I can't wrap my head around signing a 7 point man on a 9.5 ish average - bad move! if you look at Berwick's cumulative finishing positions since 2005 finishing 2nd  it speaks volumes. Maybe that coincided with a fairer track(2009) that away riders enjoyed rather than dreaded.

Edited by Robinh88
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Robinh88 said:

Injuries are not an excuse as all clubs have them. I can't wrap my head around signing a 7 point man on a 9.5 ish average - bad move! if you look at Berwick's cumulative finishing positions since 2005 finishing 2nd  it speaks volumes. Maybe that coincided with a fairer track(2009) that away riders enjoyed rather than dreaded.

The most basic rule of team building is to try sign riders who will improve their starting average. 

I remember Rye House receiving many tonkings at Berwick over the years. Even our championship winning sides struggled with the place. One year (must have been 2009) we arrived early and spoke to Chris Neath in the pits where he said something along the lines of hating the place but the track looked alright from what he’d seen that night. He proceeded to have his best night ever at Shielfield. 

• Like 1

I've also said it... The minute Peter waite left is when we became vulnerable at home... It took a special team to beat us beforehand.... Peter knew others hated coming to Berwick so he kept conditions in such a particular way! 

We need to get a track that is conducive to racing... We need a team that can score points home and away... Not just rely on big home points cos as we've seen, when that doesn't happened... We're buggered!! 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Bandits4eva said:

I've also said it... The minute Peter waite left is when we became vulnerable at home... It took a special team to beat us beforehand.... Peter knew others hated coming to Berwick so he kept conditions in such a particular way! 

We need to get a track that is conducive to racing... We need a team that can score points home and away... Not just rely on big home points cos as we've seen, when that doesn't happened... We're buggered!! 

Spot on , I said much the same to a friend at the Poole meeting, there's no way Peter would have produced a track like that against a team who are used to ridding on tracks with very little dirt on them 

39 minutes ago, Bandits4eva said:

track is that slick no need for rakes tractors go around shale is about 2ft deep against the fence years ago track staff would be pulling that across the track.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bandits4eva said:

You would have to say it’s the riders that want the track way .IMO.We have the same track curators as in the Peter Waite days.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

You would have to say it’s the riders that want the track way .IMO.We have the same track curators as in the Peter Waite days.

Id have said it was done Peters way and they could either deal with it or not! When you think of the tonkings and the teams we beat back in those days, to see us struggle as we are now is so sad :sad: 

I ain't giving up my support though as it does need fans when it's going through times like this... I'll go tonight and see what Glasgow do to us :sad:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bandits4eva said:

I wouldn't disagree with you but I doubt any rider would be happy to race todays bikes as the track was back then, and to be honest we look back at those days and probably make them out to be better than they actually were. Anyway how the track was then doesn't solve todays issues. Now I am quite happy to concede the Berwick will never win the league, we just don't have enough money in the club by way of main team sponsor, race sponsor and any other kind of sponsor for that matter especially when you look at the kind of budgets other, big city, teams are working to, and most of them are failing to win the league to.

So what I want is value for money, something that has been very scarce at Berwick this season, take tonight, I have not pre-bought a ticket and I am struggling to find enough reasons to go.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, screm said:

I wouldn't disagree with you but I doubt any rider would be happy to race todays bikes as the track was back then, and to be honest we look back at those days and probably make them out to be better than they actually were. Anyway how the track was then doesn't solve todays issues. Now I am quite happy to concede the Berwick will never win the league, we just don't have enough money in the club by way of main team sponsor, race sponsor and any other kind of sponsor for that matter especially when you look at the kind of budgets other, big city, teams are working to, and most of them are failing to win the league to.

So what I want is value for money, something that has been very scarce at Berwick this season, take tonight, I have not pre-bought a ticket and I am struggling to find enough reasons to go.

The bikes are not that different from 2009 .It’s the way the track is prepared at times.

1 hour ago, screm said:

Think a lot of people would agree with the above.

I'd say that the majority of people aren't really that fussy about what happens away from home as these days not that many will travel to those matches, but they do want to see Berwick win at home or at least be competitive, turning up most weeks to see your team lose meekly is pretty demoralising no matter what sport you're watching. I have at times this season seriously debated weather or not to buy a ticket for meetings . I've bought one for tonight's meeting because I've nothing else on and tonight's TV ilooks poor , but I'd imagine this will probably be my last match this year 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DSC67 said:

I'd say that the majority of people aren't really that fussy about what happens away from home as these days not that many will travel to those matches, but they do want to see Berwick win at home or at least be competitive, turning up most weeks to see your team lose meekly is pretty demoralising no matter what sport you're watching. I have at times this season seriously debated weather or not to buy a ticket for meetings . I've bought one for tonight's meeting because I've nothing else on and tonight's TV ilooks poor , but I'd imagine this will probably be my last match this year 

Think you too take finance into the equation nowadays especially if there is a fair amount of travelling involved.Which a fair few Berwick have too do.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Think you too take finance into the equation nowadays especially if there is a fair amount of travelling involved.Which a fair few Berwick have too do.

Yup , I traveled through to Glasgow last Sunday on the train to watch the cycling and it cost me less than the admission price for last weekends double header and that was before you take into account the cost of fuel to get to Berwick and back , money is tight for a lot of people these days and I'm sure Bandit fans aren't the only ones feeling the pinch 

• Like 1

What do we reckon the latest excuse will be from George Dodds in the match report? The club are absolutely mugging people off and have been all season, utterly shameful how bad they’ve been.