British Speedway Forum

On 7/16/2023 at 10:07 PM, Cast1rn said:

On the "Glasgow made a mistake letting Connor go" front, his away form was at best, awful. He maybe had got a little too comfy around Ashfield and needed to move on. His average also didn't fit this year, with the bit between his teeth and being forced to learn a new home track, the addition of Poland, he's only going to improve. 

My thoughts exactly, Connor winning yesterday didn't "prove" anything to the Glasgow promotion, they already knew he is good around Ashfield & I'm sure they are delighted for him. His away form will be the reason he was let go.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

My thoughts exactly, Connor winning yesterday didn't "prove" anything to the Glasgow promotion, they already knew he is good around Ashfield & I'm sure they are delighted for him. His away form will be the reason he was let go.

So if that reasoning remains constant we can expect a few new faces in The Stripes next season if not this?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I think that Harris, Nowak and Vissing were always in the plan for 2023 and when Brennan and Basso were confirmed, the 40 point limit meant there were only six points left and neither Hume nor Bailey could be fitted in. Pijper on 2.00 and a 4.00 rider was the only fit available. Whether Complin was always the first choice as the 4.00 is uncertain. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Beirao said:

I think that Harris, Nowak and Vissing were always in the plan for 2023 and when Brennan and Basso were confirmed, the 40 point limit meant there were only six points left and neither Hume nor Bailey could be fitted in. Pijper on 2.00 and a 4.00 rider was the only fit available. Whether Complin was always the first choice as the 4.00 is uncertain. 

Think bringing Nowak back was a mistake.IMo

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

In hindsight I would agree but if rode like he did the last time it would have been O.K. Maybe the changes in his personal life are the reason.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tyretrax said:

In hindsight I would agree but if rode like he did the last time it would have been O.K. Maybe the changes in his personal life are the reason.

Yeah, I think we all expected him to make a bigger leap forward this year than he has so far. Seemed to have much more fight in him last year. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Everyone seems to miss who Nowak was brought in to replace. It was Broc Nicol, not Connor or Danyon.

Everyone's expectations were based on a guy riding at number 6 with only 9 meetings in the UK.

Again as the other informed forum members have stated it's about TEAM building, you have to make it fit with 7 riders.

Basso Brennan and Harris left enough for 5,5,4,2 to fill the team that's it, no more no less. So when the statements of "it was a mistake".What else would you have done?? 

People have said, "oh we could've got another Dane like Bastian in", but again the reality is you can bring in any rider on a 5 average and they could be an instant flop or you can get a gem. Glasgow seemed to have gone with a guy who had 9 British meetings under his belt with the hope of improving.

I agree he's maybe a point/point and a half short of where I'd hope he'd be at,but by Christ he's not as shockingly bad as Broc was last year, the difference being we had two strong Reserves to support Broc we don't have that at present.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cinderfella said:

So if that reasoning remains constant we can expect a few new faces in The Stripes next season if not this?

Depends what the team building averages are? If they go as low as 36, if that's the case expect to see 70% of the team change.

14 minutes ago, Cast1rn said:

Depends what the team building averages are? If they go as low as 36, if that's the case expect to see 70% of the team change.

Indeed if the rumours of the PL and CL amalgamating are true big change to team construction will be required.

If the change does go ahead I just hope the CL Promoters hold their ground and don't let the declining PL guys dictate what's happening.

Maybe something akin to the old RIDER CONTROL will be required to balance teams out though I can't see that being popular with all riders. But if they want a team place then hey ho go with the flow!

59 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

How much, if at all, did he ride in Poland last year? A year out is a long time.

Personally I think over the years Glasgow have been guilty of building a team around guys who can ride Ashfield forgetting titles are won away from home.

Yes you want Ashfield as a fortress but arguably the track is so good and fair it doesn't always give a home advantage so visiting racers can do damage.

Equally our reserves haven't dominated at home. Ideally home reserves should be getting the upper hand on visiting counterparts and even beating s/s and the occasional h/l. Who can ever forget our two reserves, David McAllan and Trent Leverington scoring a 5-1 against Newport's top two Craig Watson and Frank Smart?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

How much, if at all, did he ride in Poland last year? A year out is a long time.

Personally I think over the years Glasgow have been guilty of building a team around guys who can ride Ashfield forgetting titles are won away from home.

Yes you want Ashfield as a fortress but arguably the track is so good and fair it doesn't always give a home advantage so visiting racers can do damage.

Equally our reserves haven't dominated at home. Ideally home reserves should be getting the upper hand on visiting counterparts and even beating s/s and the occasional h/l. Who can ever forget our two reserves, David McAllan and Trent Leverington scoring a 5-1 against Newport's top two Craig Watson and Frank Smart?

He rode in Poland last year.

2 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

He raced all season for Lodz in the first division. That's what stopped him racing for us last year. Then We had Connor and and Danyon at reserve which would've been cool to see how that would've  worked out.

11 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

What i noticed about Connor Bailey on Sunday is that he has finally developed a ruthless streak. Last year when he gated he always looked odds on to stay ahead but when he didn't gate he rarely passed anyone. Sunday's final showed that he has finally taken another step in his development and it was great to witness. 

• Like 3

The British U21 Final was fantastic and it was great to see Connor take the title and it was well deserved as he really dug in after a poor performance in his opening ride. However, i was very disappointed by the turnout on Sunday and if it hadn't been for the merry troubadours of Plymouth, the usual suspects from Armadale and one or two from Manchester and Redcar the stadium would have been almost empty. Really sad to see so few Glasgow fans turning out on what was a nice day weather-wise and good racing speedway-wise with a final heat worthy of an SGP final.

On another note, the new seating on bend 3 looks really good although on wetter days it could probably have done with some covering. 

Edited by Nickinho
  • Like 1