British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

SPEEDWAY IN GERMANY

Any historical information on speedway in Germany please.

Martin Smolinski rode for Coventry, despite the cathedral being in ruins

• Haha 2

You can pick the bones out of this

Remember East German Gerhard Ullenbrock riding for Coventry on the recommendation of Garry Middleton.

We had Klaus Lausch at Oxford who showed lots of potential before deciding that there was more money to be made in tuning!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Remember East German Gerhard Ullenbrock riding for Coventry on the recommendation of Garry Middleton.

We had Klaus Lausch at Oxford who showed lots of potential before deciding that there was more money to be made in tuning!

Yes, i think it might have been a Dave Lanning tale, that Gerhard escaped from East Germany in a sidecar. I don't think the story is true. Or maybe it is my memory playing up.

28 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Yes, i think it might have been a Dave Lanning tale, that Gerhard escaped from East Germany in a sidecar. I don't think the story is true. Or maybe it is my memory playing up.

I remember that now...a great story nonetheless. Dave Lanning was full of anecdotes! Whether true or not but I recall the story told by Lanning that Barry Thomas would attempt to catch rabbits in an sttempt to improve his reflexes!

Edited by steve roberts

According to Willhelmpedia there was a young Austrian in the 1930's called Aldi Hilter who took on a German licence. He had an accident where he lost a testicle and this curtailed his European activity. He's not been heard of much since his Farewell appearance in Berlin in the mid forties. There are rumours he was spotted in Argentina / Brazil, but his moustache trademark might have gone by then. Hope this helps. 

• Haha 3