British Speedway Forum
Monarchs2468

World Cup - Wroclaw July 2023

I've never been to Wroclaw before so I'm really looking forward to this. I'm doing a lot of online research of course but if anyone has any recommendations for sights to see, best places to eat, drink etc or any tips in general it would be appreciated.

6 hours ago, Monarchs2468 said:

I've never been to Wroclaw before so I'm really looking forward to this. I'm doing a lot of online research of course but if anyone has any recommendations for sights to see, best places to eat, drink etc or any tips in general it would be appreciated.

I'm assuming like me, you are an Edinburgh fan? I've been to Wroclaw many times and it's my favourite of all Polish cities. The Old Town square is the largest in all of Poland, bigger even than Krakow's, and one of the most beautiful of the city's places to be. If you are there only for the race off and final, then you'll likely spend a lot of your time in and around the Square, where there are many great bars and restaurants to choose from. One of my preferred eating places in the Square is the Italian place O Sole Mio, and it's perfectly possible to meet riders there - Zmarzlik was having pasta for lunch just a couple of tables away from me on the day of the 2019 GP there. 

But to be honest, wherever you choose, you'll get a decent meal at a good price. Bars are plentiful too, and as it's the SWC, there will be speedway fans milling around all the time, including me! 

When the sun goes down the bars come alive around the Square and beyond. There are too many good places to really mention, but Casa de La Musica in the Square has a great atmosphere and is busy basically until you decide to go to bed, which can easily see it continuing until 5am or afterwards. PRL next door is also good. 

If like me you're planning to be there for the whole event and are going to be staying for a week, then you'll probably want to explore a bit more. Look out for the hundreds of wee gnomes all around the city - they have their own websites which tell you about them all, and are a big tourist attraction.

Sky Tower, the only skyscraper in Wroclaw is definitely worth a visit, but you will have to book tickets in advance as it's busy in the summer. Tickets aren't expensive, (23zl - less than £5) and the lifts rocket you up to the top of the building - 49 floors up - in less than 50 seconds! The view from the gallery at the top is amazing! Link below...

There is a water park to go open air swimming, a large sauna centre with dozens of public saunas (I'm going to try this place next year) and it's great fun getting the tram (again inexpensive) out from the city centre in any direction for a few stops and just investigating. 

No doubt you've seen some of the links below, but I'm adding them in case you haven't. PM me or message back here if you want any more information! 

https://galeria.skytower.pl/punkt-widokowy

https://www.wroclawguide.com/en/

https://www.getyourguide.com/wroclaw-l2036/

https://visitwroclaw.eu/en/top-10-attractions-wroclaw

Edited by stewmac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stewmac said:

I'm assuming like me, you are an Edinburgh fan? I've been to Wroclaw many times and it's my favourite of all Polish cities. The Old Town square is the largest in all of Poland, bigger even than Krakow's, and one of the most beautiful of the city's places to be. If you are there only for the race off and final, then you'll likely spend a lot of your time in and around the Square, where there are many great bars and restaurants to choose from. One of my preferred eating places in the Square is the Italian place O Sole Mio, and it's perfectly possible to meet riders there - Zmarzlik was having pasta for lunch just a couple of tables away from me on the day of the 2019 GP there. 

But to be honest, wherever you choose, you'll get a decent meal at a good price. Bars are plentiful too, and as it's the SWC, there will be speedway fans milling around all the time, including me! 

When the sun goes down the bars come alive around the Square and beyond. There are too many good places to really mention, but Casa de La Musica in the Square has a great atmosphere and is busy basically until you decide to go to bed, which can easily see it continuing until 5am or afterwards. PRL next door is also good. 

If like me you're planning to be there for the whole event and are going to be staying for a week, then you'll probably want to explore a bit more. Look out for the hundreds of wee gnomes all around the city - they have their own websites which tell you about them all, and are a big tourist attraction.

Sky Tower, the only skyscraper in Wroclaw is definitely worth a visit, but you will have to book tickets in advance as it's busy in the summer. Tickets aren't expensive, (23zl - less than £5) and the lifts rocket you up to the top of the building - 49 floors up - in less than 50 seconds! The view from the gallery at the top is amazing! Link below...

There is a water park to go open air swimming, a large sauna centre with dozens of public saunas (I'm going to try this place next year) and it's great fun getting the tram (again inexpensive) out from the city centre in any direction for a few stops and just investigating. 

No doubt you've seen some of the links below, but I'm adding them in case you haven't. PM me or message back here if you want any more information! 

https://galeria.skytower.pl/punkt-widokowy

https://www.wroclawguide.com/en/

https://www.getyourguide.com/wroclaw-l2036/

https://visitwroclaw.eu/en/top-10-attractions-wroclaw

Fantastic information stewmac, thank you so much, its appreciated. I decided to go for the the whole event so I'm there Tuesday - Monday. Four meetings in just a few days was too good to pass up.

Thanks again, I'm off to check out the water park and sauna you mentioned.

Ps I am indeed an Edinburgh fan. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Monarchs2468 said:

I decided to go for the the whole event so I'm there Tuesday - Monday. Four meetings in just a few days was too good to pass up.

Ps I am indeed an Edinburgh fan. 

Ryanair have Monday to Monday direct flights to Wroclaw next year from Edinburgh.

28 minutes ago, stewmac said:

Ryanair have Monday to Monday direct flights to Wroclaw next year from Edinburgh.

Damn, in my excitement I booked flights, via Amsterdam, with KLM. Thanks for the heads up though as it'll make an SGP round much more accessible in the future. 

• Like 1

I’ve never been to this venue and looking to go , is it easy to get to the stadium from the old square , and and ideas about hotels anybody please . 

1 hour ago, wallbanger said:

I’ve never been to this venue and looking to go , is it easy to get to the stadium from the old square , and and ideas about hotels anybody please . 

I stayed here in August https://www.hrs.com/en/hotel/lothus/a-414290/    decent budget hotel just a short walk from the old town square. It`s easy to get to the stadium by tram.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wallbanger said:

Many thanks do you think tickets will be easy to get can’t find anything yet

Probably depends how long you are going for- 4 meeting tickets i would think will be ok but the final is when all the Polish fans will want to be there so i’m anticipating a mad scramble for those.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wallbanger said:

Many thanks do you think tickets will be easy to get can’t find anything yet

As racers and royals mentions the final will sell out but the others will be fine for tickets. Make sure you register in advance rather than on the day they go on sale to save some time and hassle https://bilety.wts.pl/

There isn't any ticket info at the moment but keep checking here as racers and royals is fantastic at posting ticket info and also check the official FIM site too (follow them on twitter or insta if you have access as they will also post ticket info there).

As for accommodation I've booked as cheap as I could get in Old Town as I'm going for 6 nights. I used booking.com and there was plenty selection. My hotel is a 1 hour walk away but there are trams that you can get too so it's fairly easy to get to.

Have a great trip.

• Like 1

Still a reasonable team without him though. Both Holder's, Fricke & Lidsey 

Just need tickets released now..................................

What would everyone think about a grading system for the SWC? To even the competition a little. Every other speedway team competition has some kind of team building limit.

Top 20 riders - Grade 4 

Riders ranked 21 to 40 - Grade 3

Any other rider not in the other four categories - Grade 2

Riders U25 - Grade 1

Riders U21 - Grade 0.

Each five man team to total up to 10 grade points.

Poland would probably still win as they've got good riders in each grade but it might make it more competitive for more nations. However, you'd not get to see all the top riders (i.e. GB would only be able to select two from Woffinden, Bewley and Lambert who'd all be Grade 4). 

Worth some thought?

6 hours ago, enotian said:

What would everyone think about a grading system for the SWC? To even the competition a little. Every other speedway team competition has some kind of team building limit.

Top 20 riders - Grade 4 

Riders ranked 21 to 40 - Grade 3

Any other rider not in the other four categories - Grade 2

Riders U25 - Grade 1

Riders U21 - Grade 0.

Each five man team to total up to 10 grade points.

Poland would probably still win as they've got good riders in each grade but it might make it more competitive for more nations. However, you'd not get to see all the top riders (i.e. GB would only be able to select two from Woffinden, Bewley and Lambert who'd all be Grade 4). 

Worth some thought?

No thanks. The World Cup should be the best available rider's a country can offer. Scrap all ideas of forcing the including youth. 

• Like 4