British Speedway Forum

3 minutes ago, churchill said:

I am a Haven fan and also followed the Comets every week.  When at Haven matches there are quite a few people I recognise as being former Comets supporters - you may be surprised at how many people will travel through from Whitehaven, Egremont & Cleator Moor areas to follow the speedway.  Same as when Reds were a football league team - we ran busses through from Egremont & Cleator Moor every week - not much other sport in West Cumbria to support.

Fair comment marra, and no I'm not surprised at Comets fans travelling from other towns - I do/did and have resided in all of those places down the years.....Sadly though not enough folk made the journeys from the areas you mentioned or we wouldn't have said goodbye to the Comets following that remarkable 2018 campaign. 

3 hours ago, StevePark said:

Kyle Bickley

59 minutes ago, mc131 said:

Nailed on no1 surely 

Would be a sensible signing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, singy13 said:

Good point Mr. churchhill...At Derwent Park the Comets ( i.e.the second phase promoters from 1999 - 2018) were not allowed to hold Sunday afternoon meetings. Therefore, as an alternative to the regular Saturday nights, Sunday nights were used - on rare occasions.

Obviously such meetings being held when Town were playing away...Haven would have no effect on speedway crowds though. I believe the Sunday afternoon 'block' was made by the church behind the scoreboard end, that was bends 1 and 2 of course. However, given that the new track is several hundreds of metres away from said church, perhaps the Sunday afternoon' block' will not apply.....personally hope so. But again, as you point out, any clash with Town would be foolish......I'm a Town fan too and wouldn't like such a fixture tangle. 

I see that Town's fixtures are now out for next season, and they seem to have reverted back to a 3pm start, only 7 of 10 would be inside the Speedway season it seems, 12pm starts perhaps?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marksman said:

I see that Town's fixtures are now out for next season, and they seem to have reverted back to a 3pm start, only 7 of 10 would be inside the Speedway season it seems, 12pm starts perhaps?

Maybe even 1 pm would do? Also allows Sunday dinner addicts time to get full belly's. 

I haven't had a look at Northside since summertime.....must go soon...anyone know if those 1200 seats are in situ?..............hello THJ? ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, singy13 said:

Maybe even 1 pm would do? Also allows Sunday dinner addicts time to get full belly's. 

I haven't had a look at Northside since summertime.....must go soon...anyone know if those 1200 seats are in situ?..............hello THJ? ?

Steve posted an update on his twitter yesterday, back straight looks ready for those seats now  :t:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, singy13 said:

Hello Singy me old pal...

No seats aren't out yet but young Brad Haughin and me have a date wid a measuring wheel some road spikes tape and a can of road marking paint...

If it's dry we will take the wheel for a walk and see if we can do some sensible marking out...

One thing that is in place is the VIP hospitality cabin and the refs box...

One minor problem is them Gypo's are back and the padlock on the gates had been vandalised... They didn't get in but I do hope that the scum leave the spot alone and the sooner we get the perimeter fence up the better... and some power to the site so we can get a few security cameras up...

Regards 

THJ 

57 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Hello Singy me old pal...

No seats aren't out yet but young Brad Haughin and me have a date wid a measuring wheel some road spikes tape and a can of road marking paint...

If it's dry we will take the wheel for a walk and see if we can do some sensible marking out...

One thing that is in place is the VIP hospitality cabin and the refs box...

One minor problem is them Gypo's are back and the padlock on the gates had been vandalised... They didn't get in but I do hope that the scum leave the spot alone and the sooner we get the perimeter fence up the better... and some power to the site so we can get a few security cameras up...

Regards 

THJ 

Don't bother with cameras  , wire the electrics to the gate !!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Reccomend having a chat with Rob Godfrey, discuss how Scunny solved their unwanted incursion problems of a few years ago ;)....

• Like 3

12 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Yeah THJ in July I entered the track via a path beside the railway line and scrambled in at the corner next to freight thingys and tractor......that's the second time I've done that. Think I told you I thought it was too handy for the 'travellers' to do same. On that second visit, a proper sunny day, I wandered around took several pics....no other soul in sight...came home tried and tried to upload my pics on here but couldn't..yet again.....And again my thoughts were if I can sneak in as it were those Gypo's (I saw four vans nearby) would manage even easier. At my age, and fitness level, the scramble wasn't that easy. Maybe I should get an aforementioned zimmer ha, ha. But thankfully you say they didn't get in....therefore have you blocked that corner? Hope so THJ......if not I hope they don't read this.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Trying to remember NL riders from Cumbria. George Rothery & Mason Watson?

Mason Watson is from Berwick 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Reccomend having a chat with Rob Godfrey, discuss how Scunny solved their unwanted incursion problems of a few years ago ;)....

Simple,they didnt allow any tracks to ride friday nights:t:

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Not too sure but didn't a couple of riders stay in the caravan then when riders were away, a few volunteers had sleepovers.

4 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

Not too sure but didn't a couple of riders stay in the caravan then when riders were away, a few volunteers had sleepovers.

Yea come over from Aussie we'll put you up no problem, did not say it was an old static caravan at the track, and your a security guard when your not riding :D

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Neila said:

Yea come over from Aussie we'll put you up no problem, did not say it was an old static caravan at the track, and your a security guard when your not riding :D

I seem to remember that 1 of the riders was MPT!