British Speedway Forum

4 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Yep and the other famous Aussie was Tero Aarnio.... doh...

Ha, ha.......Not really that relevant but this has brought back memories of seeing the first ever Comets superstar Bob Valentine (Bluey was his Oz name) when he was living in a caravan too........right outside the Crewe Kings track, think he did track work as well as starring for Ian Thomas/Jeff Brownhutt and their Comets.

I was on way to see Worky Reds v Crewe soccer match and had made a diversion to have a butchers at the Kings speedway track.......Bob appeared, prob to check us out, and we certainly had a great craic with him. Think Reds won too.

• Like 1

Here we jolly well go...

Full steam ahead and the first management committee meeting next Friday in the Golden Lion in Maryport...

Let's see where we get with this little venture

Regards

THJ

• Like 8

Good luck to sll involved looking forward to details, have a few friends from other parts of the country looking to come up to see the new track/team 

• Like 1

Brilliant news that there's going to be a new track in 2023 and very well done to all involved, but...

I understand they're to be called Northside? So what, doesn't mean anything to anybody (could say the same about Belle Vue! Although that does have a rich history). I'm assuming for some reason they couldn't use the name Workington, so surely Cumbria Comets was the next logical name. 

• Like 1

On 11/15/2022 at 2:04 AM, martinmauger said:

Reccomend having a chat with Rob Godfrey, discuss how Scunny solved their unwanted incursion problems of a few years ago ;)....

So that's how he got his BSPL HQ lair :D

2 hours ago, iainb said:

Brilliant news that there's going to be a new track in 2023 and very well done to all involved, but...

I understand they're to be called Northside? So what, doesn't mean anything to anybody (could say the same about Belle Vue! Although that does have a rich history). I'm assuming for some reason they couldn't use the name Workington, so surely Cumbria Comets was the next logical name. 

The team will be called Workington Comets, northside is just the location/venue name (within Workington). And a name a lot of people within speedway will know because of the previous training track

From having a dig around, The BSPL have already quietly added the new team and track info to the site...   https://britishspeedway.co.uk/team/workington-comets/

Edited by Marksman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Marksman said:

The team will be called Workington Comets, northside is just the location/venue name (within Workington). And a name a lot of people within speedway will know because of the previous training track

From having a dig around, The BSPL have already quietly added the new team and track info to the site...   https://britishspeedway.co.uk/team/workington-comets/

Apologies, I misheard the BSPL podcast where it actually said they may also be known as Northside... I misheard that they "will" be known as Northside.

I thought it was strange!

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Apologies, I misheard the BSPL podcast where it actually said they may also be known as Northside... I misheard that they "will" be known as Northside.

I thought it was strange!

You can have the naming rights for a substantial fee Ian...

The ianb Motor Park @ Northside has a certain ring about it....

Maybe not...

Workington Comets racing at Northside rather than Derwent Park...

Regards 

THJ 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

You can have the naming rights for a substantial fee Ian...

The ianb Motor Park @ Northside has a certain ring about it....

Maybe not...

Workington Comets racing at Northside rather than Derwent Park...

Regards 

THJ 

If I have got naming rights I'm calling it the Anyone But Poole Arena, thanks :D

• Haha 2

Great news...

Definitely will make the trip next season...

Maybe when the Colts are there....

All the best to the "new" Workington Comets...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After reading IOW have installed solar panels to help power smallbrook, maybe THJ can run a cable from one of the nearby windmills to power the speedway facilities ?  Or maybe look into solar panels like IOW ?

12 hours ago, Neila said:

After reading IOW have installed solar panels to help power smallbrook, maybe THJ can run a cable from one of the nearby windmills to power the speedway facilities ?  Or maybe look into solar panels like IOW ?

Wind turbine maybe a better bet than solar panels? :rolleyes:Sure the IOW is the sunniest place ( or second) , not sure where Workington is on the list.....

1 hour ago, gazzac said:

Wind turbine maybe a better bet than solar panels? :rolleyes:Sure the IOW is the sunniest place ( or second) , not sure where Workington is on the list.....

Dunno about sunniest but a bet Worky is in the top 3 for wettest...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2