British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, crescent girl said:

Were you ever at Berrington Lough?

Yep but that was before health and safety was invented and sueyou.com was ever even heard of...

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

It isn't just the sunset time either where the track is located was another issue... there are many factors to take into account (and have been) when looking at the day to run on and the time to start... consideration had to be given to people walking to the track which is difficult in broad daylight let alone in any twilight... it ain't located on any main well lit road that is for sure...

Regards 

THJ 

When I came up the other week, I walked to the track from the town centre. The walk is too far and too difficult to be comfortable - unlike Derwent Park - and I can't see many trying it but in terms of being remote it is nothing like Buxton or Mildenhall, for example.  Eastbourne - which is accessed by a short drive down a narrow unlit road - is similar. 

8 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

When I came up the other week, I walked to the track from the town centre. The walk is too far and too difficult to be comfortable - unlike Derwent Park - and I can't see many trying it but in terms of being remote it is nothing like Buxton or Mildenhall, for example.  Eastbourne - which is accessed by a short drive down a narrow unlit road - is similar. 

All it needs is a slip trip or fall and where there is blame there is a claim... once upon a time it was your fault if you tripped over... not now... and the walk to Northside is riddled with potential trip hazards...

Also no one said it was remote however it is in an isolated position in the town without easy (walking) access at present but I can see that changing in the short to medium term... but it is much better if you are in a vehicle to get to the track...

Folk will need to temper their expectations as this will be a work in progress for a number of years and a multitude of factors will need to be looked at as part of the on going process...

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 5

surely you're only responsible for inside the ground, the approaches are someone else's problem (council?) 

On 1/3/2023 at 5:07 PM, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Its also supposed to be family entertainment; somewhere to take the kids; So 7:30 on a Friday night may not be ideal for families as its in from school then back out again with the kids after a week at work for the parents; then likewise on a Sunday (day/night) as daytime Sunday lunch (if any one has that these days) and night-time its school the next day!!! so are you just thinking of yourself here as to what suits you sir (ooooh suits you sir!!!) as a Saturday morning or late afternoon doesn't really impinge on much for the locals; they can come and watch their Speedway with the kids then go and do the Football or the Rugby in the afternoon... when it was the other way round I know quite a few guys who used to come to the speedway after watching either sport but often missed due to the drinking culture so you only seen them when either sport was away from home... 

Jenga comment just landed in and this covers his thoughts as well...

Regards
THJ

Halifax ran on a Saturday and it was ideal,as after the speedway a lot of fans drifted off into the local pubs and clubs,and fish and chip shops,so it was a winner all round.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ch958 said:

surely you're only responsible for inside the ground, the approaches are someone else's problem (council?) 

No it will be the gate in at present to the race track until the site is further developed and the folk who know the site will know what I am on about... nothing is as straightforward as it seems... 

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

No it will be the gate in at present to the race track until the site is further developed and the folk who know the site will know what I am on about... nothing is as straightforward as it seems... 

Regards 

THJ 

I assume you're on about the MASSIVE van sized craters on the road up to the gate, that runs alongside the mx track?? Not been there since the small track days, but I'm guessing this is still the main road in? Nearly snapped a few axles and blew out a few wheels in these holes in the past, especially when they're filled with water because you forget how deep they are :rofl:

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Did the sat nav not pick up the postcode correctly lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Diamonds85 said:

I assume you're on about the MASSIVE van sized craters on the road up to the gate, that runs alongside the mx track?? Not been there since the small track days, but I'm guessing this is still the main road in? Nearly snapped a few axles and blew out a few wheels in these holes in the past, especially when they're filled with water because you forget how deep they are :rofl:

Ya supposed to take it easy on rural roads 

Part of this road got resurfaced when a new bridge got put in over the railway, was used as a diversion for dock traffic which ended up coming out opposite Asda, all since dug up wot a waste of money 

• Like 1

Yep they are part of the problem and the promotion will fill them in and tidy that roadway up... and thats driving in imagine walking up that road in the dark... not good... there is a better footpath to the rear of the track that will be used as an access point that will be a more even surface to walk on but again not something I would like to do in poor light...

Regards 

THJ 

Wish young mr denham the best,more to it than fiĺling in a programme am sure win your a hero lose and u aint,still at least he wont have granda breathing down his neck lol

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

Wish young mr denham the best,more to it than fiĺling in a programme am sure win your a hero lose and u aint,still at least he wont have granda breathing down his neck lol

Geoff , can you explain jyst what is this supposed tm say , please translate  ! LOL .

Edited by jenga
  • Like 1