British Speedway Forum

But I did not win the money  !!! But was there and was not enuf prize fund to buy 4 pints at Southern prices niver  mind buying a round  :drink:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Neila said:

But I did not win the money  !!! But was there and was not enuf prize fund to buy 4 pints at Southern prices niver  mind buying a round  :drink:

Did Barry not split it wid ya like?

3 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Did Barry not split it wid ya like?

Top prize £20 not enuf to split.:o  Not a bit of wonder rye house/lakeside closed, if that was the top prize for a 50/50 draw, think the comets fans bought most of the tickets as well  :D

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Neila said:

Top prize £20 not enuf to split.:o  Not a bit of wonder rye house/lakeside closed, if that was the top prize for a 50/50 draw, think the comets fans bought most of the tickets as well  :D

Aye me wid ten quids worth!!!

Rye House closed due to an overambitious and incompetent promotion. Some of us are still trying to repair the damage.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Rye House closed due to an overambitious and incompetent promotion. Some of us are still trying to repair the damage.

The other issue you had was and as Neil has rightly pointed out something  advertised as a 50/50 draw was more like 80/20 as the group I was with had more than 40 quids worth of tickets between us... so there was a few quid being skimmed off the top of that for sure...

Regards 

THJ 

Just had a look at championship fixtures, Redcar, Glasgow, Berwick etc seem very spaced out, weeks without home meetings , lot of fans not happy with the fixtures on this forum , maybe comets will get a few fans from these tracks to swell the crowd  ?

Think the dates of 15 march to 31 october should be cast aside ĺate april or 1st may bank holiday to 30 sep long enough,or should be !

• Like 3

14 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

The other issue you had was and as Neil has rightly pointed out something  advertised as a 50/50 draw was more like 80/20 as the group I was with had more than 40 quids worth of tickets between us... so there was a few quid being skimmed off the top of that for sure...

Regards 

THJ 

I'd include that under incompetent promotion..

The BMR era is firmly over. It not only saw the Rockets rightly thrown out of the league but their incompetence is being used to prove that the sport is unviable there. The damage may not just be temporary. Sadly we don't gave a .Northside to escape to.

Well done on all you have achieved. I look forward to being part of the set up that brings the Rockets back to Workington, hopefully in '24.

Regards,

Rob.

Bear in mind we have links with the Courtney family.......

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Neila said:

Just had a look at championship fixtures, Redcar, Glasgow, Berwick etc seem very spaced out, weeks without home meetings , lot of fans not happy with the fixtures on this forum , maybe comets will get a few fans from these tracks to swell the crowd  ?

I noticed a few gaps in Bears home matches, had same in 2022.  Am waiting for the NDL fixtures before booking travel for my holidays to see if I can fit in some meetings while I am over that side of the country

• Like 2

I hope your right Rob!

Didn't Rye House close mainly because a successful, well supported Saturday night operation was forced to move to midweek racing because of the dreaded set racenights for the top flight? - Same reason why Poole now reside in the 2nd tier when they are one of the biggest clubs in the Country and should really be in the top flight!

I'm convinced that Rye House speedway running on a Saturday night would again be a viable well supported operation if it can be re opened!

Good luck to the new Workington speedway set up at Northside. In this day and age of diminishing crowds, less greyhound stadiums around and excessive rental demands from existing stadium landlords, the Northside blueprint of owning your land and building it up into a bonafide stadium as and when funds allow seems the only way to open new speedway tracks. - Although obviously I hope Rye House speedway will be an exception to the rule as well as Eastbourne, Kent and Coventry! 

Edited by 25yearfan
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, 25yearfan said:

I hope your right Rob!

Didn't Rye House close mainly because a successful, well supported Saturday night operation was forced to move to midweek racing because of the dreaded set racenights for the top flight? - Same reason why Poole now reside in the 2nd tier when they are one of the biggest clubs in the Country and should really be in the top flight!

I'm convinced that Rye House speedway running on a Saturday night would again be a viable well supported operation if it can be re opened!

Good luck to the new Workington speedway set up at Northside. In this day and age of diminishing crowds, less greyhound stadiums around and excessive rental demands from existing stadium landlords, the Northside blueprint of owning your land and building it up into a bonafide stadium as and when funds allow seems the only way to open new speedway tracks. - Although obviously I hope Rye House speedway will be an exception to the rule as well as Eastbourne, Kent and Coventry! 

Rye House were in the 2nd Tier at the time - and had been for quite a while and were a Saturday night track.

Edited by StevePark

Find out more about our new promoter of the Comets, Andrew Bain. He recently spoke with Cumbria Crack and revealed all about his love for speedway & bikes, how progress is continuing at Northside and how the return of the Comets came about…

A TALK WITH ANDREW BAIN:

https://workingtoncomets.com/andrew-bain/?fbclid=IwAR0KCIjEqiVGGkh6al6mseFANfWc4rUERnWsMPwF9j4r3iqQzGL7_7HhnaE

• Like 3

2 hours ago, StevePark said:

Rye House were in the 2nd Tier at the time - and had been for quite a while and were a Saturday night track.

When Rye House closed in 2018 they were in the top tier. Like I said they enjoyed a good 1st season in the top tier in 2017 when Saturday night racing proved popular but in the winter the set racenight was brought into the top flight which meant that Saturday night racing was out of bounds for top flight teams. Rye House had to move to Wednesday night racing which decimated crowd levels which lead to the Rockets pulling out of the League mid season. Lets hope Rye House Rockets return cause I think that Saturday night racing would be popular at Hoddesdon!

Likewise, for Workingtons reopening to be successful Saturday racing has to be a must!

19 minutes ago, 25yearfan said:

When Rye House closed in 2018 they were in the top tier. Like I said they enjoyed a good 1st season in the top tier in 2017 when Saturday night racing proved popular but in the winter the set racenight was brought into the top flight which meant that Saturday night racing was out of bounds for top flight teams. Rye House had to move to Wednesday night racing which decimated crowd levels which lead to the Rockets pulling out of the League mid season. Lets hope Rye House Rockets return cause I think that Saturday night racing would be popular at Hoddesdon!

Likewise, for Workingtons reopening to be successful Saturday racing has to be a must!

Indeed, my memory isn't as good as it was. Rye had gone up despite finishing 9th the year before in the 2nd tier, lasting just the one season in the top flight.

Their demise left just 7 top-flight teams in 2018.