British Speedway Forum

As a first time visitor to the new Workington I struggled to find anything to be negative about. The layout is GREAT , elevated viewing for all spectators, a couple of seated stands , plenty of space and more than acceptable facilities for a brand new track although my wife would suggest the toilets need to be the next area for improvement.

As I was ‘ involved ‘ in the after match racing I can say that the pits are enormous, plenty of room not just for the main teams but second halfers / juniors too.

The staff were all keen, enthusiastic and very welcoming , from the security man at the main gate right through to the BBQ staff afterwards , although they were very overworked !

Good atmosphere and good crowd helped by sensible pricing , brilliant weather, yes, a little dusty but it’s SPEEDWAY after all.

I highly recommend a visit and I will be going again. Massive congratulations to Mr. Bain, Lawson and ALL the volunteers who made this happen.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2023 at 12:54 PM, SJA said:

Popped up (if that is the right expression) on the 8:20 train from London for the recent Leicester meeting and although the track wasn't great due to the drought like conditions it was an enjoyable meeting. I have to say the stadium should be the blueprint for any future development, on old industrial land,  simple yet functional stadium with great viewing from anywhere. I hope over time they build a ticket office, maybe a bar and better toilets but everything was more than good enough. Also special mention to the home & away fans who made an old bird from London feel very welcome. 

Wow great of you to do that and thank you for views. I'm pretty sure the team have all the facilities you mention on the 'to do' list.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, KK62 said:

As a first time visitor to the new Workington I struggled to find anything to be negative about. The layout is GREAT , elevated viewing for all spectators, a couple of seated stands , plenty of space and more than acceptable facilities for a brand new track although my wife would suggest the toilets need to be the next area for improvement.

As I was ‘ involved ‘ in the after match racing I can say that the pits are enormous, plenty of room not just for the main teams but second halfers / juniors too.

The staff were all keen, enthusiastic and very welcoming , from the security man at the main gate right through to the BBQ staff afterwards , although they were very overworked !

Good atmosphere and good crowd helped by sensible pricing , brilliant weather, yes, a little dusty but it’s SPEEDWAY after all.

I highly recommend a visit and I will be going again. Massive congratulations to Mr. Bain, Lawson and ALL the volunteers who made this happen.

Cracking review thank you. The team seem to have attention to detail, continuous improvement and crowd satisfaction high on the list of main attributes. They have a strong desire to try to produce good racing without losing sight that the sport is nothing without its fan base so it has to be enjoyable and value for money. Personally i'm looking forward to watching the project develop in the coming seasons and delighted to have the sport back in Worky

• Like 2

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

Would have done harry good to ride tonight could have won a race or 2 .

I'm not sure it would have done any good. He'd be riding against some of the best youth riders. If anything it could knock his confidence more. 

Think we know what he's capable of but it's up to the professionals to figure out how to get it out of him. 

• Like 1

Might be a long gap to the next home meeting on the 12th August now, however it was mentioned that they are trying to arrange a meeting on 29th July, wonder what that could be..

7 hours ago, Marksman said:

Might be a long gap to the next home meeting on the 12th August now, however it was mentioned that they are trying to arrange a meeting on 29th July, wonder what that could be..

Yeh I heard that. Also heard we'd need a rider to replace connor for one of the meets. Think we should try rail bickley back in

17 minutes ago, WokJoWe said:

Yeh I heard that. Also heard we'd need a rider to replace connor for one of the meets. Think we should try rail bickley back in

Kyle cant guest as an unattached rider. To be fair probably better to get a useful guest like Bowtell or Hagon ;)

9 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Kyle cant guest as an unattached rider. To be fair probably better to get a useful guest like Bowtell or Hagon ;)

Depends if it's a Challenge or not.  If it is then he can ride.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Hagon impressed me last weekend. That boy can ride. He was pushing connor right to the end of one of the heats.

3 minutes ago, WokJoWe said:

Hagon impressed me last weekend. That boy can ride. He was pushing connor right to the end of one of the heats.

Ive been critical and unimpressed in the past but really looks a different animal this season. 

5 hours ago, WokJoWe said:

Bailey has such a high average, second to Jordan Jenkins in the averages, so many possible guests if needed!

Superb to see young Luke rewarded with a team place at Redcar. Hit the ground running after some bad injuries and he isn’t fazed one little bit

• Like 1

On 7/18/2023 at 12:19 PM, CTD26 said:

Superb to see young Luke rewarded with a team place at Redcar. Hit the ground running after some bad injuries and he isn’t fazed one little bit

Watched him at Redcar on Friday against Scunny. He wasn't far off the pace at all, just getting left behind a bit at the starts. He commented in a brief interview with Roy Clarke that he wasn't used to tracks with more dirt on ie Redcar as the tracks in the NDL tended to be slick. I'm sure he will soon sort out the required changes.

Just as I expected Connor misses out on being a track reserve at Cardiff - https://britishspeedway.co.uk/miscellaneous/cardiff-line-up-complete/

Vatcher's lovechild's Rowe and Edwards selected ahead of the British Under 21 Champ :rolleyes:

Would be better off going to represent Australia and focusing on developing in Wroclaw than dealing with that clown

• Like 3