British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2023

On 12/12/2022 at 1:00 AM, Essex said:

If Brum lost this sort of money and Glasgow even more and never won anything and yes I know you get nothing ££££ wise for winning and trophies don't matter to some On here but the promoters must have money to burn or this is an expensive plaything.What sort of business sense is this or is this the norm,can't believe the Ford's run Poole on that basis.

I wonder how many clubs actually turn a profit. Perhaps it’s long overdue that at one of these AGMs the promotors sat down together and agreed between them it’s time to cut their cloth accordingly. 

In the current economic climate any enterprise that’s held as a hobby and loses money hand over fist is going to be the first thing jettisoned if things get tight. A business that breaks even or turns a profit, no matter how meagre, has a stronger chance of survival. 

Very true but I’m sure there is a lot of teams  who give into to riders demands hoping it will turn there season around

9 hours ago, Deano said:

For me it sums up that running a speedway club is expensive. I struggle to understand why promoters and riders aren’t actively trying to make running it cheaper. It seems a no brainer to me.

Spot on, no idea why someone has reacted with a laugh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

Spot on, no idea why someone has reacted with a laugh.

that would be Diamonds85- perhaps he'd care to explain from his position of not having a club to support

20 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Maybe that clubs being honest with their supporters about finances

Let's face it, if they don't say something, people will make stuff up just to fill the "knowledge gap". Invent a "fact", say it often enough and it becomes a "virtual truth".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheGuvnor said:

I wonder how many clubs actually turn a profit.

How many clubs are totally independent of other business interests?  If speedway had to stand on its own, it would fall flat on its face. However, if speedway is promoted by people who run other profitable businesses, e.g. Tolley at Birmingham, the Facennas at Glasgow, and previously the Duggards at Eastbourne etc, then speedway benefits from becoming a bit of an indulgence, where profits from the other business, instead of going to the tax man, get invested into an "enjoyable hobby", and get written off the tax bill. Let's just hope that the badge making business doesn't suffer too much in the recession.

Birmingham just never seem to be able to make it work, how many different promotions have tried and failed there? For such a large city, you'd think crowds would be higher.

Looking at the team building for this season, its hard to see that changing in 2023 either. Looks like they've splashed the cash on their number one and don't seem bothered about the rest.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Pinny said:

Birmingham just never seem to be able to make it work, how many different promotions have tried and failed there? For such a large city, you'd think crowds would be higher.

Not enough people are interested in speedway and in any case, why would they be? What aspect of the sport would attract people who know nothing about it and have probably never even heard of it? 

The sport was lost to the city for 21 years, that's a lot of existing and potential fans lost to something else. The first few seasons back were fairly successful, crowd and team wise, then it kind of came of the rails and has struggled to repeat the "glory days" since. 

Football is the king really, Villa, Blues, Albion and Walsall all within easy reach. That's where the sporting interest largely is. Edgbaston come the 20/20 stuff too, packed out. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, uk_martin said:

How many clubs are totally independent of other business interests?  If speedway had to stand on its own, it would fall flat on its face. However, if speedway is promoted by people who run other profitable businesses, e.g. Tolley at Birmingham, the Facennas at Glasgow, and previously the Duggards at Eastbourne etc, then speedway benefits from becoming a bit of an indulgence, where profits from the other business, instead of going to the tax man, get invested into an "enjoyable hobby", and get written off the tax bill. Let's just hope that the badge making business doesn't suffer too much in the recession.

I think there has to be some truth in your post....tax off-set etc....

6 minutes ago, OGT said:

Not enough people are interested in speedway and in any case, why would they be? What aspect of the sport would attract people who know nothing about it and have probably never even heard of it? 

The sport was lost to the city for 21 years, that's a lot of existing and potential fans lost to something else. The first few seasons back were fairly successful, crowd and team wise, then it kind of came of the rails and has struggled to repeat the "glory days" since. 

Football is the king really, Villa, Blues, Albion and Walsall all within easy reach. That's where the sporting interest largely is. Edgbaston come the 20/20 stuff too, packed out. 

Quite right....Football/Cricket puts a dent in any possibility of new fans....

The only way I can see an increase in attendances, is if 'we' merged with Coventry/Cradley and were re-named to suit....

Signing Nick Morris will not put any 'new' bums on seats, or entice any stay away fans....that's not me whinging, or sounding ungrateful...it's a fact!

I don't think the promotion have learnt much about Team management/ building during their first season....

LR needs to step down as TM....great guy....but ???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pinny said:

Looking at the team building for this season, its hard to see that changing in 2023 either. Looks like they've splashed the cash on their number one and don't seem bothered about the rest.

Just a rumour but heard Birmingham were after a couple of Edinburgh riders but the Monarchs reprieve at Armadale scuppered that.

4 minutes ago, Bellers101 said:

Just a rumour but heard Birmingham were after a couple of Edinburgh riders but the Monarchs reprieve at Armadale scuppered that.

Seem to remember they ran a meeting as Birmingham past present and future that included Pickering and I think Brennan. They thought might get both and obviously with Edinburgh reprieve and never thought Tom was ever going anywhere they've got neither 

18 minutes ago, Bellers101 said:

10 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Seem to remember they ran a meeting as Birmingham past present and future that included Pickering and I think Brennan. They thought might get both and obviously with Edinburgh reprieve and never thought Tom was ever going anywhere they've got neither 

I am pretty sure Pickering was heading to Birmingham until Edinburgh got a reprieve to run in 2023.

1 hour ago, OGT said:

But it isn't like any of those are successful!  And I was brought up going to the Hawthorns every other weekend, usually Villa or Walsall when West Brom were away.
Aston Villa have been crowned English league champions 7 times, Wolverhampton Wanderers 3 and West Bromwich Albion once.  The last time the English league champions were form the West Midlands was 1981.
Compare that to the other big cities in England.  Liverpool (& Everton) have 28, as do Manchester (City & United).  London has 21.  11 for the West Midlands.
And now the closest professional Rugby Union team is in Gloucester or Leicester with Wasps (Coventry) and Worcester going into administration.

Edited by Col

40 minutes ago, Bellers101 said:

I'm sure that quite a few clubs would of looked at Edinburgh riders from last season.