British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2023

33 minutes ago, Petecc said:

All I can see is fans of other clubs saying what a bad signing. Not going to be the push over they were hoping for?

Don't know what posts your reading but most posts I've read are positive from opposition fans. haven't seen any saying what a bad signing it is

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

Tbf they said the same to Berwick fans when they signed him last season! 

And they were right then - will they be right this time as well?

I’ll admit it’s a signing that’s surprised me, and it’s definitely a gamble. But then, in my view, less of a gamble than Manzares. 

• Like 1

If and its a big IF...he lasts the season....then he will most likely be the only rider that improves his average (marginally...)

Personally, I think it's a replacement for Tate Zische....just my thoughts.

I think a Kangeroo should be our new mascot!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

If and its a big IF...he lasts the season....then he will most likely be the only rider that improves his average (marginally...)

Personally, I think it's a replacement for Tate Zische....just my thoughts.

I think a Kangeroo should be our new mascot!

Tend to agree, given his social media post saying thanks for making it happen. Reading between the lines it feels pretty last minute and the outing in France was to test his appetite for the sport again.

Has been a big if with him over the last few years, not sure he's completed more than one heat in a rain off for about 10 years at PB but he was always pretty handy around there. 

On paper he should be the pick of the 4 and under riders in the league bar Edwards, really hope he is but I just can't see it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DJC said:

Tend to agree, given his social media post saying thanks for making it happen. Reading between the lines it feels pretty last minute and the outing in France was to test his appetite for the sport again.

Has been a big if with him over the last few years, not sure he's completed more than one heat in a rain off for about 10 years at PB but he was always pretty handy around there. 

On paper he should be the pick of the 4 and under riders in the league bar Edwards, really hope he is but I just can't see it.

Proctor is a big gamble for sure, could bomb as his per his last few "comebacks" or just as likely turn out a 7 to 8 point average with the right "mindset".

1 hour ago, Wee Eck said:

And they were right then - will they be right this time as well?

I’ll admit it’s a signing that’s surprised me, and it’s definitely a gamble. But then, in my view, less of a gamble than Manzares. 

Disagree personally. 

5 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Proctor is a big gamble for sure, could bomb as his per his last few "comebacks" or just as likely turn out a 7 to 8 point average with the right "mindset".

Pun intended?

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Petecc said:

Pun intended?

I'm sure it'll all come out in the wash;)

• Haha 1

Been a long while since I've seen Proctor at Perry Barr but he was very useful back in the days of Jason Lyons!

Tbh, your never going to get a worldbeater this late in the day and on this sort of average but it could be a lot worse than Proctor. Get behind the lad at least! 

• Like 2

On 3/11/2023 at 6:27 PM, The Dog said:

Tbh, your never going to get a worldbeater this late in the day and on this sort of average but it could be a lot worse than Proctor. Get behind the lad at least! 

Or at least that's what we'll be saying to the opposition at each meeting! :D

• Haha 1

For an alternative opinion of Birmingham's strength I'm gonna compare them to Edinburgh. 

Now Edinburgh reached the semis last year & have only slightly weakened from a 42 to a 40 limit, Cook for Masters & Bickley for Sarjeant - so you could say that's a sensible team to guage yourself against if you wanna reach the play-offs!

Top 2: Morris & Sedgmen vs Pickering & Cook.
Edinburgh a little stronger (Birmingham have the strongest & weakest)

Second strings: Nielsen & Bowtell vs Castagna & Fredriksen, similar strength (Edinburgh have the strongest & weakest)

Reserves: Proctor & Pearson vs Hook & Bickley, I'd say Birmingham edge this.

Biggest difference between the teams is the 3rd heat leader Wright vs Thomson where Edinburgh are definitely stronger.

So if Birmingham are not much weaker than last year's top 4 side, they must be strong enough to challenge for a top 6 spot this year right?

Edited by szkocjasid
Spacing

16 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

For an alternative opinion of Birmingham's strength I'm gonna compare them to Edinburgh. 

Now Edinburgh reached the semis last year & have only slightly weakened from a 42 to a 40 limit, Cook for Masters & Bickley for Sarjeant - so you could say that's a sensible team to guage yourself against if you wanna reach the play-offs!

Second strings: Nielsen & Bowtell vs Castagna & Fredriksen, similar strength (Edinburgh have the strongest & weakest)

Biggest difference between the teams is the 3rd heat leader Wright vs Thomson where Edinburgh are definitely stronger.

So if Birmingham are not much weaker than last year's top 4 side, they must be strong enough to challenge for a top 6 spot this year right?

Hmm, how about a comparison with Oxfords team this season. That would be quite interesting! 

9 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Hmm, how about a comparison with Oxfords team this season. That would be quite interesting! 

Harder to compare as they are built more differently, Oxford obviously stronger at the top, but weaker at the bottom.

I figured Edinburgh were the closest match to Birmingham for how they built their teams 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Not sure you can compare B'ham reaching top 6 this season, when most other teams are different compared to last season ?

Your pitching this seasons team selection against 'other' teams last season selection ? (apart from Edinburgh of course....)

Edited by GiveusaB