British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2023

2 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

There definitely is a signing then? 

Maybe its in the Speedway Star!?

5 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

They could still do Tues (possibly - as greyhounds in pm), Friday or Sun (although might conflict with Poland)

I fear its Wednesday or no day for Brummies there given the very tight restrictions in place. 

The alternative options are pretty much non existant. 

It's looking possible that if Birmingham City get new Owners that they want to develop Wheels as a Sport City type of place but hard to see how Speedway would fit in to a new 40000 seater stadium and other football training and hotel type set up. 

That assumes that they can decontaninate the land. 

CVS seemed quite positive Wolves may have found or been found some land. No idea where its most likely brownfield site in deepest Black Country industrial area, within Wolves City Council land. 

With things very tight financially at Brummies anyway, probably best to make the most of this season and hope Wolves find something. 

Personally if they coukd get a new track with a proper shape and entertainment I'd go, Monmore is just awful in terms of proper racing. 

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, HGould said:

I fear its Wednesday or no day for Brummies there given the very tight restrictions in place. 

The alternative options are pretty much non existant. 

It's looking possible that if Birmingham City get new Owners that they want to develop Wheels as a Sport City type of place but hard to see how Speedway would fit in to a new 40000 seater stadium and other football training and hotel type set up. 

That assumes that they can decontaninate the land. 

CVS seemed quite positive Wolves may have found or been found some land. No idea where its most likely brownfield site in deepest Black Country industrial area, within Wolves City Council land. 

With things very tight financially at Brummies anyway, probably best to make the most of this season and hope Wolves find something. 

Personally if they coukd get a new track with a proper shape and entertainment I'd go, Monmore is just awful in terms of proper racing. 

Cradley been looking for land for decades without luck in roughly the same area, and yet CVS might have found somewhere within weeks of being told that their out of Monmore...?? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Cradley been looking for land for decades without luck in roughly the same area, and yet CVS might have found somewhere within weeks of being told that their out of Monmore...?? 

Lot more brown field in Wolverhampton than Dudley Borough probably. 

Council in Wolverhampton are also far more in to supporting all kinds of sport than Dudley or Birmingham. 

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

There definitely is a signing then? 

The words from Laurence Rogers on the "Speedway Tavern" podcast last night was it would be announced within 24 hours watch this space, so I took him at his words, I have even listened back to the podcast and for sure thats what was said.

• Like 1

I don't see that amending the planning consent to allow a Tuesday or a Friday race night,  being a problem as long as the planning officer is made aware of the fact that the intention is not to stage more than one meeting per week. The change from Wednesday nights to Thursday nights (a change which only lasted for one season) wasn't difficult to obtain.

There were a handful of objectors who all claimed that Birmingham wanted to run twice a week, but the Planning Officer in his report to committee, stressed that he was approving either Wednesday or Thursday as the permitted race night conditional on this not being on both nights of the same week. The approval to run on Good Friday and on Bank Holiday Sundays, which is still valid on the planning conditions, also stated that if a Bank Holiday Sunday meeting was rained off, then it could be re-staged on an alternative non-Bank Holiday Sunday providing that another meeting was not scheduled for the Wednesday or Thursday of the same week.

Contrary to what people seem to think, Birmingham City Council have never placed any difficulties in the way of Birmingham Speedway.

• Like 2

Just now, HGould said:

Lot more brown field in Wolverhampton than Dudley Borough probably. 

Council in Wolverhampton are also far more in to supporting all kinds of sport than Dudley or Birmingham. 

I can assure you the site search by Cradley has stretched far more than Dudley MBC, try Dudley, Sandwell, Walsall, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, Staffordshire, Wyre Forest, South Staffs and even Solihull, let me give you an example of what Cradley are up against, approx 2 years ago a site came on the market and it was sold for £800k recently the same site was offered for £6 million, other land owners prefer to just let the sites lie idle or continue to use as pasture land rather than take a reasonable rent from Speedway, another example from an old farmer that has 150+ acres says why should i rent out some land and get the hassle that goes with it, That my friend is just some of the obstacles of what we are up against.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, brianbuck said:

I don't see that amending the planning consent to allow a Tuesday or a Friday race night,  being a problem as long as the planning officer is made aware of the fact that the intention is not to stage more than one meeting per week. The change from Wednesday nights to Thursday nights (a change which only lasted for one season) wasn't difficult to obtain.

There were a handful of objectors who all claimed that Birmingham wanted to run twice a week, but the Planning Officer in his report to committee, stressed that he was approving either Wednesday or Thursday as the permitted race night conditional on this not being on both nights of the same week. The approval to run on Good Friday and on Bank Holiday Sundays, which is still valid on the planning conditions, also stated that if a Bank Holiday Sunday meeting was rained off, then it could be re-staged on an alternative non-Bank Holiday Sunday providing that another meeting was not scheduled for the Wednesday or Thursday of the same week.

Contrary to what people seem to think, Birmingham City Council have never placed any difficulties in the way of Birmingham Speedway.

It could actually be a blessing if Birmingham go with Sundays, I personally think the attendances would improve, as for Bank Holidays the BSPL going with fixed race days cream crackered a potential money spinner for some Championship Clubs, which is all the more annoying when Bank holidays come around and their are only 1 or 2 fixtures, Speedway simply needs to be more fan friendly, the local derby Cradley v Coventry on Bank holiday monday with the return on the same day that,s the type of planning needed.

Edited by heathen52
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, heathen52 said:

It could actually be a blessing if Birmingham go with Sundays, I personally think the attendances would improve, as for Bank Holidays the BSPL going with fixed race days cream crackered a potential money spinner for some Championship Clubs, which is all the more annoying when Bank holidays come around and their are only 1 or 2 fixtures, Speedway simply needs to be more fan friendly, the local derby Cradley v Coventry on Bank holiday monday with the return on the same day that,s the type of planning needed.

Newcastle have shown how hard it is to build a competitive team on a Sunday, with many riders preferring to race in Poland. Could work with a drop down to NL?

7 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Newcastle have shown how hard it is to build a competitive team on a Sunday, with many riders preferring to race in Poland. Could work with a drop down to NL?

We can't build one on a Wednesday ? :D

1 minute ago, GiveusaB said:

We can't build one on a Wednesday ? :D

But imagine running with the same team minus Nick Morris!

7 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I don,t think Brum would need to drop down a League.

3 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

So has British Speedway sunk so low that Birmingham (or anyone else for that matter) could not put a 7 man team together to race on Sundays ?, remember they would have the pick of British based riders.

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

SOH !

All this talk of what day etc is pointless/meaningless until we know the facts ?

If we're going to get a choice of a new race day, then that's a whole different 'topic'... 

Besides, we've got to get through this season first !