British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
speed29

Is Sidecar will be back in Speedway in 2023??

3 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...I'd forgotten about quads racing. We had some demonstration races at Cowley I recall. During the days of Second Halves I remember during 1972 we had Grasstrack riders competing on their grasstrack bikes. The likes of Julian Wigg, Chris and Alan Drewett, Ken Matthews, Ralph Waller and the like. It added a bit of variety which I used to enjoy.

On the other hand I did see some go karts and they were rubbish. The leader had to wait for the others almost every lap to try and make it look good. But I guess it is all down to the racers available. The same thing could often be said about speedway

3 minutes ago, iris123 said:

On the other hand I did see some go karts and they were rubbish. The leader had to wait for the others almost every lap to try and make it look good. But I guess it is all down to the racers available. The same thing could often be said about speedway

I had a friend who raced go karts on a specially designed circuit and I was soon bored with it...their centre of gravity is so low and the steering so acute they just hugged the racing line. Cowley had a go kart circuit on the centre green and I watched it a couple of times and felt underwhelmed.

• Like 1

Flat Track Racing is more suitable to a speedway track and is perhaps more suitable for a second half attraction? Although once again, speedway purists will only want to watch a 500cc, without a gearbox! (understandable).   

12 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

Flat Track Racing is more suitable to a speedway track and is perhaps more suitable for a second half attraction? Although once again, speedway purists will only want to watch a 500cc, without a gearbox! (understandable).   

I used to find Speedway quite a good 2nd half attraction when going to watch the Speedway :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, SSL84 said:

Was that the old perry barr track? 

No, the present one. Fortuately, it was rebuilt a year ago.

That depends which sidecars. 1000cc ones run clock wise and ruin tracks. They’re only found here and in Oz. You get the odd old one that’s been sold abroad they use it to be able to write “international “ on the side of their vans, whereas the 500cc ones use the same engines / wheels / tyres as speedway bikes and run in the same direction. Also there’s riders from many European countries so you could invite foreign teams to spice it up a little. ( they’re  faster too most of the time than the 1,000’s )

4 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

That depends which sidecars. 1000cc ones run clock wise and ruin tracks. They’re only found here and in Oz. You get the odd old one that’s been sold abroad they use it to be able to write “international “ on the side of their vans, whereas the 500cc ones use the same engines / wheels / tyres as speedway bikes and run in the same direction. Also there’s riders from many European countries so you could invite foreign teams to spice it up a little. ( they’re  faster too most of the time than the 1,000’s )

Very true and the 500cc speedway ones do not rip the track to bits