British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Chris116

Riders who give up when at the back

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Personally I never just base the "greatest ever' on World Championships won but a rider's overal contribution and racing awareness...don't recall Tony Rickardsson doing much team riding on the occasions that I saw him which is why I don't rate him above Ivan Mauger (another great team man who cajoled his team mates) despite equalling Ivan's World Championships win or above the likes of Nielsen, aforementioned Moore and dare I suggest Ole Olsen!

This^^, a tad biased, perhaps, but Moore (& Briggs), Mauger, Olsen & Nielsen (& Gundersen) all team rode, I know as I saw them all do it with the exception of Moore, & they turned their teams into succsessful ones.  TRick was a very good rider, granted, you don't get 6 World Championships just handed to you, but was more for himself than his teams....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, martinmauger said:

This^^, a tad biased, perhaps, but Moore (& Briggs), Mauger, Olsen & Nielsen (& Gundersen) all team rode, I know as I saw them all do it with the exception of Moore, & they turned their teams into succsessful ones.  TRick was a very good rider, granted, you don't get 6 World Championships just handed to you, but was more for himself than his teams....

Witches fans that saw him classically shepherd Toni Svab around ahead of Jason Crump at Peterboro would disagree

6 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Witches fans that saw him classically shepherd Toni Svab around ahead of Jason Crump at Peterboro would disagree

You have beat me to it.  Absolutely brilliant foiled crump on every bend.  He was fuming 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Not saying TRick didn't ever team ride, just not as much as the mentioned riders which wouda bin pretty much impossible.  Would love to have seen the race mentioned, Crump also got done by NickiP in a SWC meeting, enjoy clever tactics from anyone....

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

You have beat me to it.  Absolutely brilliant foiled crump on every bend.  He was fuming 

...Jason had a temper. Remember when he slapped team mate Todd Wiltshire for a collision. He apologised later realising that it hadn't been Todd's fault.

23 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...Jason had a temper. Remember when he slapped team mate Todd Wiltshire for a collision. He apologised later realising that it hadn't been Todd's fault.

I think that was Todd”s first ride in his comeback, it didn’t make Crump very popular at Oxford.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2022 at 3:16 PM, martinmauger said:

Never easy when comparing eras and I think this is one of those where its an apples and pears job.

For Mauger and the like the British League title was the second most important competition of the whole season behind the World Championships, just as it would have been for Tony Rickardson had he shared the same era. Fast forward to Rickardson's era and you think Mauger and Olsen would have put as much emphasis on success in the British League had they been competing? Truth is they would have been prioritising bigger money in Poland and each GP far above speedway in Britain, if they would have bothered with Britain at all. 

• Like 1

As you say it's difficult, if nigh impossible, to compare different eras. All I know is that Mauger craved success at team level and each team he rode for he had a great say in how the team was put together. Came later in Olsen's career after carrying Wolves for many years and, of course, Nielsen was the main player at Oxford where he had great influence. By the time the nineties came along riders started looking towards Poland for big money reward but of course the likes of Mauger, Olsen, Briggs, Collins etc achieved financial gain by riding on the continent on sundays at longtrack/grasstrack events during the seventies and eighties as well as riding in Britain whereby meetings came thick and fast unlike today. Recall Peter Collins saying that on any given month he perhaps had three/four days when he wasn't competing otherwise it was all go.

Edited by steve roberts