British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, IronScorpion said:

A racing incident that annoys me is when riders are racing close together round a bend & the rider in front locks up. The rider behind has no time to change his line, no time to lay his bike down so runs in to him & is excluded. The fault lies with the rider in front.

I recall when Ted Hubbard at Hackney did exactly that in front of John Dews and John took avoiding action.

Rule 011.1.11

"When a heat is stopped, the Referee shall disqualify the rider, who in their opinion is the primary cause of the stoppage."

So surely this means someone has to be excluded. In the case of a genuine 50/50 that must mean the rider who came off as he is the cause of the stoppage.

Doesn't matter in any situation, 2 rider's coming together someone is at fault, it's fact. It's a reason I don't like 'All Four Back' at the start of a heat too. 

9/10 time, reckless riding is the cause of 1st bend bunching. Rider's on gates 3 & 4 should never be aiming for turn 1 curb & rider's of 1 & 2 shouldn't be aiming for an outside line. 

The best rider's in the world hardly ever cause a first bend incident. 9/10 times these are caused by lesser standard rider's being desperate. 

17 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Doesn't matter in any situation, 2 rider's coming together someone is at fault, it's fact. It's a reason I don't like 'All Four Back' at the start of a heat too. 

9/10 time, reckless riding is the cause of 1st bend bunching. Rider's on gates 3 & 4 should never be aiming for turn 1 curb & rider's of 1 & 2 shouldn't be aiming for an outside line. 

The best rider's in the world hardly ever cause a first bend incident. 9/10 times these are caused by lesser standard rider's being desperate. 

...a favourite ploy of Tommy Knudsen. Tried it against Marvyn Cox at Cowley on one occasion but Marvyn anticipated it and held back slightly cutting back and passing Knudsen up the inside joining Hans for a glorious match winning 5-1!

6 hours ago, Grachan said:

Rule 011.1.11

"When a heat is stopped, the Referee shall disqualify the rider, who in their opinion is the primary cause of the stoppage."

So surely this means someone has to be excluded. In the case of a genuine 50/50 that must mean the rider who came off as he is the cause of the stoppage.

No, it doesn't.

If riders crash, the referee probably puts the red lights on for safety reasons primarily. However if, in their opinion, they can't decide who was the primary cause of the stoppage, there's nothing to stop them declaring an all 4 rerun.

I suspect most refs don't do it because fans may think they're 'bottling' making a decision and, therefore, shouldn't be in the job. I would argue the opposite. The option is there. If the situation fits, use it.

Refs should be able to restart races with riders in their original position at time of incident. Not sure what would work best though - a rolling start with riders having to be a line coming off bend 4, or trying to stagger start and 5 metre intervals....

36 minutes ago, kelvinht said:

Refs should be able to restart races with riders in their original position at time of incident. Not sure what would work best though - a ....  stagger start and 5 metre intervals....

I've seen that in the States.