British Speedway Forum
mc131

Berwick 2023

On 2/12/2023 at 10:50 AM, Paulbooth said:

Hi can you show the tweet please as I do owens social media I know he hopes to one day have a NDL team and was in talks this year with a team who showed interest but not the bullets. The bullets would be great but not yet . He is however staying with berwick academy  this year for 2023

I’ve posted this already ,it’s in Twitter “ tweets of the week”in Speedway Star 14th Jan.Page 23.!

Edited by Fromafar
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Fromafar said:

I’ve posted this already ,it’s in Twitter “ tweets of the week”in Speedway Star 14th Jan.Page 23.!

Hi thanks for that i looked through his twitter and couldn't see anything like that. I don't have Jan speedway star  so not sure were it's came from 

4 minutes ago, Paulbooth said:

Hi thanks for that i looked through his twitter and couldn't see anything like that. I don't have Jan speedway star  so not sure were it's came from 

It implies it came from(@speedwayOwen).It’s thanking his Sponser.

11 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Thanks I have been through all of this year's tweets and carnt find it so no idea  lol guess i l keep looking but we were not even looking for a NDL club this year  but we're approached by one what didn't come off.   Happy for Owen just to keep progressing this year 

• Like 1

thanks to @fromafar for sending me the picture . The reply was not buy me or owen . Think it was a comment from speedway star  which is dispointing as it was never a conversation or a thing that owen was trying to nail down a ndl place with berwick . Hopfully sometime.i  the future though

3 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Thanks I have been through all of this year's tweets and carnt find it so no idea  lol guess i l keep looking but we were not even looking for a NDL club this year  but we're approached by one what didn't come off.   Happy for Owen just to keep progressing this year 

Owen made good progress last season after linking with Berwick Academy, and has every chance of continuing to improve in 2023.

• Like 2

I can't remember where I read it (maybe in a Speedway Star) but Danny Phillips was hyping up the Bullets as play-off contenders. Naturally he's going to say something positive like that, as no-one signs for a club planing to do poorly.

But I do feel he's gravely mistaken & that Berwick will be nearer the bottom than top. Built to just over 40 points, which means they need to put 2 points on their averages, just to be a mid table side. I honestly don't see much potential for riders to up their averages.

The league certainly looks stronger than last year.

Coles is a good number one, but rode at 3 last year, so by adding heat 13 to his races, if he keeps his average, he'll be doing well. Ditto for Blair, had a great season, but at the easier number 4 for half the season. Phillips is an acceptable 3rd heat leader.

Freeman showed so much potential for Newcastle & Armadale I expected a lot more from him last season. Now out of the reserve berth, it's tougher. Like Coles I think he can improve (by keeping his average).

The bottom 3 all have the potential to improve, but I see that as a slow & steady rise up the ranks, which is where they will miss Luke Harrison!

So on the whole, the team doesn't look bad. But if you have 6 or 7 strong looking teams & 1 or 2 average looking teams, they'll be near the bottom.

If I was a Berwick fan, I'd just be happy you're getting to see lots of Speedway in 2023. More matches than Glasgow & Redcar (not to mention Newcastle).

Edited by szkocjasid
Grammer
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I can't remember where I read it (maybe in a Speedway Star) but Danny Phillips was hyping up the Bullets as play-off contenders. Naturally he's going to say something positive like that, as no-one signs for a club planing to do poorly.

But I do feel he's gravely mistaken & that Berwick will be nearer the bottom than top. Built to just over 40 points, which means they need to put 2 points on their averages, just to be a mid table side. I honestly don't see much potential for riders to up their averages.

Coles is a good number one, but rode at 3 last year, so by adding heat 13 to his races, if he keeps his average, he'll be doing well. Ditto for Blair, had a great season, but at the easier number 4 for half the season. Phillips is an acceptable 3rd heat leader.

Freeman showed so much potential for Newcastle & Armadale I expected a lot more from him last season. Now out of the reserve berth, it's tougher. Like Coles I think he can improve (by keeping his average).

The bottom 3 all have the potential to improve, but I see that as a slow & steady rise up the ranks, which is where they will miss Luke Harrison!

So on the whole, the team doesn't look bad. But if you have 6 or 7 strong looking teams & 1 or 2 average looking teams, they'll be near the bottom.

If I was a Berwick fan, I'd just be happy you're getting to see lots of Speedway in 2023. More matches than Glasgow & Redcar (not to mention Newcastle).

Agree they don’t look aTop 2 Team.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Agree they don’t look aTop 2 Team.

Workington, Oxford & Leicester look the favourites to me.

• Like 2

On 2/17/2023 at 11:12 AM, szkocjasid said:

By the time you take in cup matches, Premier Trophy next rounds and playoffs, i will bet Redcar and Glasgow have as many matches as Berwick.

• Like 1

Bullets begin their campaign this coming weekend.

This from a comprehensive media briefing issued by the club:

The new-look Berwick Bullets can call upon a wealth of inside knowledge during their weekend road trip to Belle Vue and Leicester.
Their third season in the National Development League begins with a Good Friday trip to the National Speedway Stadium (1pm) followed by Saturday  evening’s clash with 2022 and 2019 double winners Leicester Lion Cubs in the east Midlands (7pm).
It’s a challenging start for last year’s beaten play-off semi-finalists but the GHT Bullets, powered by STS,  can call on the experience of teenager Archie Freeman who returns to Manchester following a successful 2022 in Colts’ colours while Josh Embleton was a member of that 2019 Leicester double-winning side.

A third new signing, Connor Coles, rode for Leicester in their all-conquering 2022 campaign and also enjoyed a year with the Colts while Jamie Halder was a member of the Coventry side was based at the east Midlands circuit in 2018 and was named in the 2021 Cubs’ side only to miss the whole season after suffering a broken ankle in a fall at his home while the fifth new signing, Danny Phillips, rode for Belle Vue in 2019.

“You couldn’t have asked for two tougher opening fixtures,” Embleton admitted.
“Having said that the 2023 Bullets are probably less experienced around our home circuit than on some of the away tracks, especially Leicester, where four of us have spent some time.
“I jumped at the chance to sign for Berwick and even with just the press and practice and launch night behind us you can feel that there is a really good buzz about the Bullets.
“Having raced against them I know just how much help and support the management and riders give each other and I’m looking forward to having the advantage of that guidance.”

Embleton’s preparations for the new season were given a £500 boost last weekend thanks to a generous donation towards his costs by the Newcastle Speedway Supporters Association.
“That was a really nice surprise,” Embleton admitted. “They might not have their own team to follow this season but are still looking to support the city’s riders and I am very grateful for that backing.”

Freeman, who like Embleton is Newcastle-born, added: “Belle Vue is seen around the world as one of the best speedway racetracks and I really enjoyed my season with them last year.
“But the opportunity to join Berwick was a real no-brainer. There’s a really good mix of experience and potential in the team and this is going to be a really good opportunity to get the season off to a flying start.

Like the Bullets both of this week’s opponents have brought in new faces for the 2023 campaign.
Jack Smith, son of multiple British Champion Andy, and highly-rated teenager Freddy Hodder are joined by 2022 Oxford man Sam Hagon and Australian-Brit Matt Marson and Luke Muff from Mildenhall while British Speedway Network pundit Paul Bowen has come out of retirement.     Belle Vue have also taken advantage of new rules allowing teams to track one Commonwealth rider this season by naming asset James Pearson – who will also race for Birmingham in the Championship – in the seven.

Defending champs Leicester are again built around the Thompson twins, Dan and Joe, and have a very youthful look with Vinnie Foord and Max Perry also returning to the fold while a pair of 17-year olds, Max James and Norfolk whizz-kid Ashton Boughen are handed regular team places.

“Look around the league and there are no weak teams,” added Jedburgh-based Bullets skipper Greg Blair, who along with Berwick-born Mason Watson is the only other surviving member of that 2022 Bullets squad.
“The focus is on developing riders for the Championship and Premiership and there is no better way that making every ride in every meeting competitive.
“It’s been a long time since we were together as a team – more so for me as I couldn’t ride in the play-off at Mildenhall due to suffering dizzy spells.
“I think that most people know that my links to Berwick stretch right back to my great-grandparents Danny and Liz Taylor, who brought the sport here in 1968 and it will be something special to lead a Berwick team out as captain.

“But we’re not here just to take part. We plan to make a serious statement to the rest of the league this weekend.        With the new scoring system this season it is important to battle for every point and look to collect aggregate bonus points as well as meeting wins.”

• Like 1

Disaster for Berwick at Belle Vue today. Didn't expect them to win, but thought the score would've been closer. Bottom 3 couldn't cover for Freeman - who would have been aching to do well on his former home track.

Quick look at possible guests for Leicester tomorrow (if needed)

Freeman (5.29), Watson (4.41), Embleton (3.92)

Mickie Simpson (4.46) on his former home track with r/r for Watson? Unless Luke Harrison or Luke Killeen are available?

I assume it has to be an unattached 3.00 guest for a missing reserve, if not I'd be looking at Harrison or Killeen again!

Hopefully the injuries aren't too severe though.

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

Disaster for Berwick at Belle Vue today. Didn't expect them to win, but thought the score would've been closer. Bottom 3 couldn't cover for Freeman - who would have been aching to do well on his former home track.

Quick look at possible guests for Leicester tomorrow (if needed)

Freeman (5.29), Watson (4.41), Embleton (3.92)

Mickie Simpson (4.46) on his former home track with r/r for Watson? Unless Luke Harrison or Luke Killeen are available?

I assume it has to be an unattached 3.00 guest for a missing reserve, if not I'd be looking at Harrison or Killeen again!

Hopefully the injuries aren't too severe though.

Looking at social media it seems Archie Freeman may have a broken leg.

6 minutes ago, screm said:

Mason out for 9 days due to the concussion rule 

19 minutes ago, screm said:

Simpson riding grass track all.weekend I think