British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PowerfulPierre

Leicester Lion Cubs 2023

1 hour ago, mc131 said:

Hopefully for dan t he can get a cl spot soon because nl of no benefit to him now, he was nearly unbeatable at most places season gone 

Agreed. Pretty sure he’s just waiting to be contacted by a Championship club around May time when teams have already lost patience with under performers or have injuries. Highly unlikely that he would then still stay with the Cubs, for whom it would leave a massive void.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Islander15 said:

It’s not to rebuild a team after winning the league and having such a dominant season. But this Cubs side looks to have done it to a tea. Somehow they’ve kept the Thompson twins and they aren’t even in huge averages! Both will be near unbeatable at home and could top the 10 point average mark. Then in Perry, Boughen and James they have a trio who are definitely on a fast upwards trend. That’s not forgetting Foord & Spencer who have their moments, especially at home. It looks another strong team and potentially another league title. 

With such a short season ahead signing a team that is already so dialled in at home is huge. Plenty of improvers throughout the side also. Is another year in the NDL going to do either Thompson anything extra? The debate will always rage on but whilst the rules allow and the points limit has been raised again they get another few sharpeners. Sadly the lack of competing teams dulls the enthusiasm especially if 4 from 6 will get play off spots anyway.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

Good to see you don’t find it concerning that’s there’s not enough Capable riders to fill 7 teams in the lowest league. 

Mr B far from it if you read my first post you commented on when need more clubs yes quality may drop but more rider's would get a chance .

On 12/18/2022 at 7:21 PM, mc131 said:

Think Workington will be a match

Hopefully, should be some very good meetings between the 2 next year, maybe even multiple times if only 6 teams run!

Both teams looking strong from 1 to 7.

Edited by Marksman

On 12/19/2022 at 1:49 PM, Teromaafan said:

Agreed. Pretty sure he’s just waiting to be contacted by a Championship club around May time when teams have already lost patience with under performers or have injuries. Highly unlikely that he would then still stay with the Cubs, for whom it would leave a massive void.

Knowing the Thompson family as i do I don’t think Dan will drop the Cubs once he has a Championship place. The boys just love to race their bikes & the Cubs is another opportunity to do that .

I feel the key to this is Dan & Joe can now both drive so there is less pressure on their parents to drive them to matches which allows them to run their family business more effectively .

I think the boys will do NDL away matches & Dan will mechanic Joe’s matches for Scunthorpe on their own which keeps costs down & means Darren can earn money from working aswell . 

1 hour ago, Lenny Lion said:

Knowing the Thompson family as i do I don’t think Dan will drop the Cubs once he has a Championship place. The boys just love to race their bikes & the Cubs is another opportunity to do that .

I feel the key to this is Dan & Joe can now both drive so there is less pressure on their parents to drive them to matches which allows them to run their family business more effectively .

I think the boys will do NDL away matches & Dan will mechanic Joe’s matches for Scunthorpe on their own which keeps costs down & means Darren can earn money from working aswell . 

Excuse my ignorance, but have they changed the rules, so that you can have a rider in three UK leagues, as I thought that you could only ride in two divisions?

7 hours ago, StevePark said:

Excuse my ignorance, but have they changed the rules, so that you can have a rider in three UK leagues, as I thought that you could only ride in two divisions?

Was changed season after being brought in

• Thanks 1

On 12/24/2022 at 4:54 AM, Lenny Lion said:

That enthusiasm is great but riding in three leagues is an awful lot of time on the road for a young driver, particularly when you consider the geographical locations of Championship and National League tracks.

On 12/26/2022 at 11:40 PM, Teromaafan said:

That enthusiasm is great but riding in three leagues is an awful lot of time on the road for a young driver, particularly when you consider the geographical locations of Championship and National League tracks.

However there likely to be less matches this year in both leagues. Dan T really should be in the Champ but if the promoters prefer to use foreigners over improving Brits, what can he do?

7 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

However there likely to be less matches this year in both leagues. Dan T really should be in the Champ but if the promoters prefer to use foreigners over improving Brits, what can he do?

Was there not a rule when you had a champ average over a certain amount mayb 4 you couldn't ride nl 

Edited by mc131

On 12/29/2022 at 8:03 AM, mc131 said:

Was there not a rule when you had a champ average over a certain amount mayb 4 you couldn't ride nl 

Not now no, as there already 6 Riders named in NDL teams for 2023 who have Championship Averages ABOVE 4.00

It's good to see that the Cubs are getting the supporters involved again in sponsorship opportunities. At £25, it seems a reasonable amount to donate, even in this day and age when money is tight, to help the lads all have a set of kevlars.  It's always great to see them all turned out looking as a team in their red and yellow outfits; so much more professional.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2022 at 8:54 AM, Lenny Lion said:

There are better riders in the BNL than the twins who are older and still improving. They should not be prevented from riding while they are so young, They need every opportunity to ride. After all they are still developing and it is a Development League. Having said this there are quite a lot of oldies who are obviously no longer developing but should not be deprived of their inclusion. Perhaps it would be better to drop the word developing and simply call it The British National or Conference League.

On 2/16/2023 at 5:22 PM, Barrow Boy 2 said:

There are better riders in the BNL than the twins who are older and still improving. They should not be prevented from riding while they are so young, They need every opportunity to ride. After all they are still developing and it is a Development League. Having said this there are quite a lot of oldies who are obviously no longer developing but should not be deprived of their inclusion. Perhaps it would be better to drop the word developing and simply call it The British National or Conference League.

After reading that correctly I agree with you lol!

These older riders can assist the development of their team mates & be a target for developing riders to beat. I.e if you can beat Ben Morley, then you're reaching Champ reserve level. 

I agree they should get rid of the "development" name & just call it the National League.

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Not sure I agree with that for a couple of reasons:

1) these older riders can assist the development of their team mates & be a target for developing riders to beat. I.e if you can beat Ben Morley, then you're teaching Champ reserve level. 

2) do you remove all riders who aren't "developing" Elliot Kelly, Josh Embleton, Danny Phillips & Tom Woolley for example?

I do agree they should get rid of the "development" name & just call it the National League.

I said such older non developing riders should be allowed to ride and did not suggest that they should be prevented. I agree that such riders do provide help and guidance to the youngsters.