British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norbold

Lost speedway tracks of Essex

Tomorrow morning (10 December), starting at 10 a.m., BBC Essex will be broadcasting a programme about lost Essex sports stadiums. As part of this, at about 10:30, I am being interviewed about the lost speedway tracks of Essex. It is a phone-in programme, so it would be good if any of you could phone in with memories of speedway in Essex.

• Like 2

Can i phone in from Canada??- the only speedway ones I can think of are Arena Essex  and Romford though, or are Crayford and Walthamstow in Essex?? Sounds like a good program though Norbold

4 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Can i phone in from Canada??- the only speedway ones I can think of are Arena Essex  and Romford though, or are Crayford and Walthamstow in Essex?? Sounds like a good program though Norbold

There was Rayleigh also.

5 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Until 1965 Walthamstow, West Ham and Dagenham were in Essex, with Lea Bridge/Clapton on the border of Essex and Middlesex.

• Like 1

Cough cough High Beech

• Like 2

The tracks I have on my list to talk about are High Beech, Dagenham, West Ham, Rayleigh, Walthamstow, Lea Bridge and Arena Essex/Lakeside. Romford is a bit of a funny one because it was in Essex until 1965 but, there was no speedway there until 1969, by which time it was in London! Although there was a team called Romford before the War which operated from the Dagenham track.

The researcher I spoke to, thought I also ought to mention Rye House as it is very close to Essex and a lot of Essexians (or whatever we are called) would have gone there.

• Like 1

Done my bit, though we didn't get off to a good start! The presenter of the programme, Steve Scruton, rang me on Wednesday to ask me if I could take part in the programme. He said the only track he knew about was Rayleigh and asked me if I ever went there. I told him that I only went there once or twice. So, he started off the interview with me this morning by saying he understood I was a regular at Rayleigh and must have lots of memories of the place that I could talk about. Doh!!!

Edited by norbold
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2