British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, Beowulf said:

I once looked into this i.e. the 2 tracks nearest to each other. The answer, unless someone can prove otherwise,  was West Ham and Hackney who were only 3 miles apart. So that could be said to be the biggest derby. Certainly Wolves v Cradley had a ferocity to it that perhaps wasn't matched elsewhere, and I have seen fighting at those matches.  

As for the fighting the men were quite handy aswell. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Petecc said:

As for the fighting the men were quite handy aswell. 

I had to spend a night in Old Hill nick for an altercation I had with a Cradley woman who was built like a sumo wrestler.She started mouthing off,and I said shut the f..k up stupid c.. Anyway then it all kicked off,with about six Wolves fans and around 20 spoons.        The police came,and the Cradley lot said I started the scuffle,and consequently I was marched out of Dudley Wood .          I pleaded my inocence but still had to spend a night in the cell to calm down. .Yes,at the time I was angry,but looking back those were the days to be treasured .

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tommy Sweetman said:

I had to spend a night in Old Hill nick for an altercation I had with a Cradley woman who was built like a sumo wrestler.She started mouthing off,and I said shut the f..k up stupid c.. Anyway then it all kicked off,with about six Wolves fans and around 20 spoons.        The police came,and the Cradley lot said I started the scuffle,and consequently I was marched out of Dudley Wood .          I pleaded my inocence but still had to spend a night in the cell to calm down. .Yes,at the time I was angry,but looking back those were the days to be treasured .                                   Edit....And you can guarantee if there was any trouble it always came at the end of an heat involving Ivor Brown.  Yes he was definitely enemy Number 1.

Edited by Tommy Sweetman

Great respect to you.

The best we got was a few tangles with Sam Messer and his uneducated colleagues on the back straight @ Wudley Dud. 

10 minutes ago, Lefty said:

Great respect to you.

The best we got was a few tangles with Sam Messer and his uneducated colleagues on the back straight @ Wudley Dud. 

Yes we always stood on the back straight,and those pork sandwiches were something to behold .

8 hours ago, Beowulf said:

I once looked into this i.e. the 2 tracks nearest to each other. The answer, unless someone can prove otherwise,  was West Ham and Hackney who were only 3 miles apart. So that could be said to be the biggest derby. Certainly Wolves v Cradley had a ferocity to it that perhaps wasn't matched elsewhere, and I have seen fighting at those matches.  

Yes the only time you'd see 2 police officers walking on the terraces was at Wolves Cradley meetings never seen at any other meetings.

On 1/11/2023 at 11:16 PM, Wolfie456 said:

The biggest derby in speedway.

Oxford and Swindon took some beating.

57 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Oxford and Swindon took some beating.

Nah...doesn't even come close,can't even call it a local derby being nearly 50 miles apart,where as Wolvo and Cradley is only eight as the crow flies.

58 minutes ago, Tommy Sweetman said:

Nah...doesn't even come close,can't even call it a local derby being nearly 50 miles apart,where as Wolvo and Cradley is only eight as the crow flies.

Have to disagree. Try telling that to fans of "The Cheetahs", The Reading "Berks" and "The Budgies"...Oxford's and Swindon's rivalry went back to 1949 and matches between the two were always keenly anticipated with plenty of controversy mixed in down the years! Add in Reading (much later) and there was always a good mix at the various stadia and the fans from all three tracks were keen to get one over another!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Have to disagree. Trying telling that to fans of "The Cheetahs", The Reading "Berks" and "The Budgies"...Oxford's and Swindon's rivalry went back to 1949 and matches between the two were always keenly anticipated with plenty of controversy mixed in down the years! Add in Reading (much later) and there was always a good mix at the various stadia and the fans from all three tracks were keen to get one over another!

I think you will find that the same applied to the Wolves/Cradley matches. I always made sure I got to theses matches & there was always a strong turn out  of other Bees fans too. The attendances at both Monmore & Dudley Wood were always excellent,  the atmosphere was something special & way above the usual. Wonderful days very sadly missed.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Have to disagree. Trying telling that to fans of "The Cheetahs", The Reading "Berks" and "The Budgies"...Oxford's and Swindon's rivalry went back to 1949 and matches between the two were always keenly anticipated with plenty of controversy mixed in down the years! Add in Reading (much later) and there was always a good mix at the various stadia and the fans from all three tracks were keen to get one over another!

We had some great rows - sorry banter , with the coach load of Oxford fans that used to come and stand by us on the 2nd bend at Smallmead. It always ended civilly though with comments like "see you at the British Final". It was similar with Wolves fans but never ended on such good terms with them!

17 minutes ago, skydog said:

We had some great rows - sorry banter , with the coach load of Oxford fans that used to come and stand by us on the 2nd bend at Smallmead. It always ended civilly though with comments like "see you at the British Final". It was similar with Wolves fans but never ended on such good terms with them!

...funny I had similar experiences with Wolves fans. There were a group of Cradley fans who used to visit Cowley and were quite frankly looking for trouble! Most fans mixed quite happily and, as you say, had rows but would often end civilly. Great days!

2 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

I think you will find that the same applied to the Wolves/Cradley matches. I always made sure I got to theses matches & there was always a strong turn out  of other Bees fans too. The attendances at both Monmore & Dudley Wood were always excellent,  the atmosphere was something special & way above the usual. Wonderful days very sadly missed.

Yeah...i agree....good  old days ...

I would say some of the most fiercely held derbies would be between some of the old London tracks,only visited a few of them,some could be tasty,but wouldn't include Wimbledon  they were far to civilised coming from the posh side of town lol.

1 hour ago, Tommy Sweetman said:

I would say some of the most fiercely held derbies would be between some of the old London tracks,only visited a few of them,some could be tasty,but wouldn't include Wimbledon  they were far to civilised coming from the posh side of town lol.

I followed "The Rebels" to White City (although still following Oxford in the NL) but because they only ran for three years I guess it was too short to build up any sort of rivalry between Hackney and Wimbledon although London based "Rebels" may have felt different? Being an "out of towny" removed me from any direct link and/or close connection with the area so therefore didn't get the buzz.