British Speedway Forum

20 hours ago, Tommy Sweetman said:

Nah...doesn't even come close,can't even call it a local derby being nearly 50 miles apart,where as Wolvo and Cradley is only eight as the crow flies.

Think you need to recalibrate your AA roadmap

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Triple.H. said:

Think you need to recalibrate your AA roadmap

Blame Alexa...Oxford to Swindon 48.4 miles.... Wolverhampton to Cradley 9.3 miles by road ...Talk about splitting hairs.

Edited by Tommy Sweetman

1 hour ago, Tommy Sweetman said:

Blame Alexa...Oxford to Swindon 48.4 miles.... Wolverhampton to Cradley 9.3 miles by road ...Talk about splitting hairs.

Oxford to Swindon is about 30 miles

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

Oxford to Swindon is about 30 miles

Exactly. And even closer as the crow flies, less than 25 miles I'd imagine.

• Like 1

It's a pity this topic didn't go under'Local Derbies'...Parry,s Sponsorship should have been in the Wolves thread.

3 hours ago, Tommy Sweetman said:

It's a pity this topic didn't go under'Local Derbies'...Parry,s Sponsorship should have been in the Wolves thread.

Problem is what qualifies as a "local derby?" My interpretation is your nearest rival track? Ipswich & King's Lynn, Coventry & Leicester, Boston & Peterborough, Belle Vue & Sheffield etc etc were alll seen as "local derbies" to the fans who supported those teams. Who were Birmingham's closest rivals...Cradley or Wolves?

As a Brummie watching the Wolves v Cradley in the Black Country derbies was surreal. Standing on the terraces at Monmore Green in between the two, listening to two sets of fans abuse each set of riders, each other and Brendan Kearney in some kind of foreign language was amazing.

Edited by Deano
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Deano said:

As a Brummie watching the Wolves v Cradley in the Black Country derbies was surreal. Standing on the terraces at Monmore Green in between the two, listening to two sets of fans abuse each set of riders, each other and Brendan Kearney in some kind of foreign language was amazing.

Fab crowds at M.G and Dudley wood ...

17 minutes ago, Deano said:

As I said nothing like Cradley Wolves matches.Though the atmosphere did unfortunately get toxic on a lot of occasions.Had to stop taking my mother to Dudley wood after she threatened to brain a spoon fan with her umbrella for abusing Ole Olsen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wolfie456 said:

As I said nothing like Cradley Wolves matches.Though the atmosphere did unfortunately get toxic on a lot of occasions.Had to stop taking my mother to Dudley wood after she threatened to brain a spoon fan with her umbrella for abusing Ole Olsen.

It did. My own mom and dad talk fondly of the moment Big Arthur touched/fenced* Ole Olsen at PB once and Browning got excluded. The place went into orbit!

*view depended on whether you were a Brummie or bee fan.

On 1/19/2023 at 5:56 PM, Tommy Sweetman said:

I had to spend a night in Old Hill nick for an altercation I had with a Cradley woman who was built like a sumo wrestler.She started mouthing off,and I said shut the f..k up stupid c.. Anyway then it all kicked off,with about six Wolves fans and around 20 spoons.        The police came,and the Cradley lot said I started the scuffle,and consequently I was marched out of Dudley Wood .          I pleaded my inocence but still had to spend a night in the cell to calm down. .Yes,at the time I was angry,but looking back those were the days to be treasured .

I doubt many Wolves supporters miss matches with Cradley at all   I went to a handful and they'd developed a real sinister side to them (not helped by both clubs cashing in on the nonsense by having them race each other endlessly every year.  Hardly an advert for "a family sport" is it.  They should have been banned from racing each other long before Cradley closed.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, R87 said:

I doubt many Wolves supporters miss matches with Cradley at all   I went to a handful and they'd developed a real sinister side to them (not helped by both clubs cashing in on the nonsense by having them race each other endlessly every year.  Hardly an advert for "a family sport" is it.  They should have been banned from racing each other long before Cradley closed.

The one thing I miss about Cradley is the track.Dudley Wood had a tremendous racing circuit,ideal shape and length.     The only thing I didn't like about it was the colour of the shale,where as the Monmore surface has always been red, Cradley had a brown /grey colour although tbf it was always immaculately prepared.

Cowley to Blunsden is 35 miles.  Owlerton to Gorton is 33 miles.  Monmore to Dudley Wood is 7.5 miles.  Atmosphere at Cradley/Wolves fixtures were great in the late 80's early 90's, not old enough to remember anything prior to that.  The Dudley Wolves Cup fixture at Monmore when Ermolenko & Correy were excluded from heat 15 allowing Hancock & Hamill to cruise around for a 5-0 was superb.  I've only been Grand Stand at NSS when Sheffield have visited, have been to Owlerton for several Aces visits, but Tigers have always won quite comfortably.
There was animosity between Wolves & Bees fans at Monmore in the early-mid 2000's.

Just reading thru' some Oxford programmes (1986) and it mentions the less than friendly "cabbage patch kids" from Dudley who apparenetly threw objects at the victorious "Cheetahs" after one of many wins Oxford enjoyed at Cradley. Yes we made it a habit winning there...great days!

• Like 1