British Speedway Forum

Irrespective of how Drew and Anders progress British Speedway is going to suffer .Any British youngster that developing fast is going to lost in the main to Polish Speedway as has been proved with Bewley and Lambert,and let’s be honest British Clubs will struggle to meet their demands unless Swedish speedway (which is struggling) goes completely t#ts up,and the riders want to top up their earnings over here again.

Ambition for any Young rider in the WORLD is to get into Polish Speedway.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Irrespective of how Drew and Anders progress British Speedway is going to suffer .Any British youngster that developing fast is going to lost in the main to Polish Speedway as has been proved with Bewley and Lambert,and let’s be honest British Clubs will struggle to meet their demands unless Swedish speedway (which is struggling) goes completely t#ts up,and the riders want to top up their earnings over here again.

Ambition for any Young rider in the WORLD is to get into Polish Speedway.

This is very true but how many riders make it to the top tier of Poland, even if they go via the U24 route as Poland will keep unearthing hugely talented riders due to the help they get from a young age

This country needs to keep churning out talent, to a level that is talented enough to fill places in our league, yes they will set out with the ambitions of being World champion and may race in the Poland U24s 

More needs to be done on home soil which rewards british domestic level riders 

10 hours ago, Falcon1983 said:

This is very true but how many riders make it to the top tier of Poland, even if they go via the U24 route as Poland will keep unearthing hugely talented riders due to the help they get from a young age

This country needs to keep churning out talent, to a level that is talented enough to fill places in our league, yes they will set out with the ambitions of being World champion and may race in the Poland U24s 

More needs to be done on home soil which rewards british domestic level riders 

Lowering the Average’s is  doing no favours to British Speedway,regarding bringing on British youngsters.At least 3 or 4 are missing out this season because of it IMO.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

Lowering the Average’s is  doing no favours to British Speedway,regarding bringing on British youngsters.At least 3 or 4 are missing out this season because of it IMO.

The key failing was not to put a restriction on heatleader strength that would prevent teams having a powerful top three and as a consequence three low averaged riders, leaving little room for the mid-range riders.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, arnieg said:

The key failing was not to put a restriction on heatleader strength that would prevent teams having a powerful top three and as a consequence three low averaged riders, leaving little room for the mid-range riders.

Grading would be a solution if it could be done without riders manipulating it easily.Riders already look after their averages with the present system.

40 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

37 minutes ago, arnieg said:

The key failing was not to put a restriction on heat leader strength that would prevent teams having a powerful top three and as a consequence three low averaged riders, leaving little room for the mid-range riders.

It certainly irks me that Sam Masters (who I have nothing against) gets a Champ spot despite being one of the top Prem riders & has a team in Poland, ahead of Kemp or Thompson.

But where do you have the cut-off on averages for riders doubling up?

Most clubs will pick an 8.00 & 2.00 rider over 2 x 5.00 riders, which is why these guys have been left on the sidelines.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

It certainly irks me that Sam Masters (who I have nothing against) gets a Champ spot despite being one of the top Prem riders & has a team in Poland, ahead of Kemp or Thompson.

But where do you have the cut-off on averages for riders doubling up?

Most clubs will pick an 8.00 & 2.00 rider over 2 x 5.00 riders, which is why these guys have been left on the sidelines.

It irks me paying more to watch a watered down Championship.Some good riders left on the shelf for  riders who are only there because of their average not their talent.

There must be some way of making sure that Kemp, Rowe and Thompson have Championship spots if they want them before handing out work permits for similar standard non Brits.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bagpuss said:

There must be some way of making sure that Kemp, Rowe and Thompson have Championship spots if they want them before handing out work permits for similar standard non Brits.

I totally agree, very annoying to see foreigners who couldn't reach their 4.00 assessed aves get team places before 5 point Brits.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

It irks me paying more to watch a watered down Championship.Some good riders left on the shelf for  riders who are only there because of their average not their talent.

If you remove the top rider from each team & replace them with all the 5/6/7 point riders missing, then the league would be even weaker. However the difference in standard between the top & bottom riders would be closer, so the racing should be better (in theory)?

It certainly feels it's wrong for any team to rave admission when weakening the league for sure!

On 2/16/2023 at 9:28 PM, Bagpuss said:

That's a fair point but his starting point was low. You could argue that he went from 3.36 to 3.00 in the Premiership despite moving to the track with the biggest home advantage. I suspect Poole's strength at home and being in a title winning side explains in part why he increased his Championship figure.

I guess the way he exploded onto the scene in 2019 at Sheffield made many people think and expect that he would rapidly progress but it hasn't happened. Same with Rowe after his first season at Somerset. He at least is scoring well in the U24 Polish league but perhaps both riders just aren't as good as we all thought. 

In fairness, I’m not really sure that Rowe exploded onto the scene. Rowe was decent at reserve for Somerset and after a mid season reshuffle got forced into the main body of the side and was decent. I never really saw enough to think Rowe was going to become a top rider like it was expected of Kemp. I think there is something in Rowe to still get to a higher standard but he’s never really going to become World class and probably more of a Worrall standard type rider. Sounds abit harsh but that’s the way I see it.

For what it’s worth, I completely agree that it’s a nonsense that if Kemp, Rowe, Thompson etc are ready and available and want a team spot but haven’t because of averages. That should never be allowed to happen. This goes back again to the “rising star” scheme should be a thing in the Championship without question, along with a certain quota of British riders along the same lines as what Poland do.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1