British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NeilWatson

Phil Morris appointed Premiership CEO

3 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

You never know but I would be surprised if Poole did without the guarantee of Weds nights. Which I don't see how you can work it with Denmark riding. Crowd levels are literally half on Thursday nights. 

But would they be with Bewley, Emil, and Nicki P et al there?

Poole, quite sensbily stepped down when the top league and the 2nd Div were pretty much using all the same riders, so it made perfect sense to drop down, save money, use Div 1 HL's and ride on their historical best nght...

Maybe Thursday would be more successful when some of the World's best are there? 

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

But would they be with Bewley, Emil, and Nicki P et al there?

Poole, quite sensbily stepped down when the top league and the 2nd Div were pretty much using all the same riders, so it made perfect sense to drop down, save money, use Div 1 HL's and ride on their historical best nght...

Maybe Thursday would be more successful when some of the World's best are there? 

I guess it depends how many were just picking and choosing meetings and who generally had other plans on Thursday. 

I am giving Thursday as an example as crowds on Mondays were even worse ;)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

I guess it depends how many were just picking and choosing meetings and who generally had other plans on Thursday. 

I am giving Thursday as an example as crowds on Mondays were even worse ;)

Poole's crowds do drop off quite significantly when they are not successful as well too dont they?

And its more noticable there given the higher than most starting point when they are doing well I would say..

Maybe being a big fish in a small pond suits them best now...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chrismorton said:

SGP is boring these days

IMO  the main reason for this is we are watching  in the current  world champ one of the greatest riders the sport has ever seen , barring injury he will continue dominate  for a number of years to come .

Back on topic I am not a fan of Morris but his face obviously fits !

Edited by FAST GATER
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, FAST GATER said:

IMO  the main reason for this is we are watching  in the current  world champ one of the greatest riders the sport has ever seen , barring injury he will continue dominate  for a number of years to come .

Back on topic I am not a fan of Morris but his face obviously fits !

Maybe he will attract more of the GP riders back, they seem to like and respect him.

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

Poole's crowds do drop off quite significantly when they are not successful as well too dont they?

And its more noticable there given the higher than most starting point when they are doing well I would say..

Maybe being a big fish in a small pond suits them best now...

Can't remember that far back to be honest!!!

A big fish in any size pond seems to summarise their recent achievements!;):D

30 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Not sure Morris would stand for any shenanigans of the past that got you there though

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

2009? The last 'bad' year I can think of. The crowd levels weren't amazing in 2019 but we were in playoffs, so a good-ish season. 

Completely understand why we moved down and the crowd levels didn't suffer but I think with the better riders now in the Premiership it could be beneficial to move back up. 

42 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Completely understand why we moved down and the crowd levels didn't suffer but I think with the better riders now in the Premiership it could be beneficial to move back up. 

Idk, if we moved down to save money. Why move up and have a bigger wage bill. I mean how much are Peterborough forking out for Nicki. I think I would rather stay in the Champ if the club is more financially stable. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Idk, if we moved down to save money. Why move up and have a bigger wage bill. I mean how much are Peterborough forking out for Nicki. I think I would rather stay in the Champ if the club is more financially stable. 

Yes but if by spending a little more you get more people in then it could be worth it and we get to see better riders, win win. 

17 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Yes but if by spending a little more you get more people in then it could be worth it and we get to see better riders, win win. 

In order to spend more the club would need to charge more, which would just as likely reduce the crowd. Especially if its on an 'off' race night and especially as 'better' riders don't always mean better racing!!

The more important issue is the longer term availability of the stadium. Once that is secured, then who knows.......?!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

In order to spend more the club would need to charge more, which would just as likely reduce the crowd. Especially if its on an 'off' race night and especially as 'better' riders don't always mean better racing!!

The more important issue is the longer term availability of the stadium. Once that is secured, then who knows.......?!

I think most would be willing to pay for better quality of riders. The most important issue is the long term availability of the stadium, if that can be done I don't see why the crowd wouldn't be good. 

57 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Big if there though. Hard to second guess what fans are going to do! 

• Like 1