British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Arch Stanton

Leicester vs Ipswich KOC 30th March

4 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

You will have to distract your friends then :D

I'm sure beer and p#ss taking will do the trick!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BTFC LION said:

To be honest there is no one more disappointed than myself and all the others who have been working so hard at our track for months.

I don't doubt it, all that work literally down the drain. It seems to me that rained off meetings are more of an issue these days than they used to be (and that's not to say that they hadn't used to be an issue). But it seems that the window in which the Speedway machines of today can operate is becoming smaller and smaller. Maybe the sport needs to look at some sort of wet weather setup for the bikes because we've all seen meetings being cancelled/abandoned in recent times where we've said I've seen them ride in worse than that, only the worse than that is becoming less and less with each passing year it seems. Ultimately this will effect crowds, especially on opening night, sometimes I get it, the weather will win and there is nothing you can do about it but I think as a sport we really need to get to a position that if the weather is fine at the scheduled start time then there really should be Speedway. I don't have all the answers and I appreciate that cost is a factor as we didn't repair the roof while the sun was shining in our sport but surely it can't be beyond the wit of man to come up with some solution. Maybe Phil Morris will put it on his long list of things to look at.

• Like 2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excellent that it has been rearranged quickly  - has been a great issue in recent years that cup competition gets sidelined and causes issues with getting finals run

• Like 3

The Leicester track has history of being a poor draining track. 
Seems it needs a week to beraceable after a days heavy rain. 

Don’t know why they start their season so early with high profile nmeetings. Always a high risk strategy.

46 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

The Leicester track has history of being a poor draining track. 
Seems it needs a week to beraceable after a days heavy rain. 

Don’t know why they start their season so early with high profile nmeetings. Always a high risk strategy.

It's no higher profile than any other meeting other than being the first match of the season, back in the top league, some would just describe it as just a cup match. And I wouldn't say the end of March is early, tracks have started much earlier in the past, you've got to start at some point. 

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

iainb,

I would beg to differ on your assessment.  A  KO Cup quarter final opening meeting of the season featuring the top two in the PL in the opposition (including the controversial russian Sayfootdinoff)is a high profile PL meeting  to be ridden at the end of winter. In my memory, which has become a little jaded recently, most clubs opened their fixtures with a "challenge" fixture.

Leicester track clearly is not a good drainer and the promoters have lost a good crowd for an opening fixture.

12 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

iainb,

I would beg to differ on your assessment.  A  KO Cup quarter final opening meeting of the season featuring the top two in the PL in the opposition (including the controversial russian Sayfootdinoff)is a high profile PL meeting  to be ridden at the end of winter. In my memory, which has become a little jaded recently, most clubs opened their fixtures with a "challenge" fixture.

Leicester track clearly is not a good drainer and the promoters have lost a good crowd for an opening fixture.

Fair enough we'll have to agree to disagree I think... what I will say though is that it's only a quarter final because of the severely depleted numbers in the top league, soon they'll be starting with semi finals! Also the KO Cup has been so devalued over the last 10 years or so it's little more than a fixture filler these days, in fact it's only been run in the top league twice in the last 10 years... and after the fiasco of last season you can't be guaranteed that the final will even be run! 

One thing we can agree on is that Leicester have lost out on a good crowd for their opening fixture... hopefully folk will turn out in numbers for the new opening fixture... there's a lot of bridges that need rebuilding after the end to last season.

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Fair enough we'll have to agree to disagree I think... what I will say though is that it's only a quarter final because of the severely depleted numbers in the top league, soon they'll be starting with semi finals! Also the KO Cup has been so devalued over the last 10 years or so it's little more than a fixture filler these days, in fact it's only been run in the top league twice in the last 10 years... and after the fiasco of last season you can't be guaranteed that the final will even be run! 

One thing we can agree on is that Leicester have lost out on a good crowd for their opening fixture... hopefully folk will turn out in numbers for the new opening fixture... there's a lot of bridges that need rebuilding after the end to last season.

It still hurts with how the season ended last year. My speedway mates still feel robbed of a grand final at home. Bridges do need to be fixed. Hopefully this season can sort that ! 

• Like 1