British Speedway Forum
Chadster

Stoke v Wolves 1961

That was wonderful! Again - as some of us have stated on here - the racing really was no better back then. However, it was more of a spectacle because of dirt on the tracks, individual styles, black leathers, chrome machinery, and fans on the terraces. Nearly every male you saw wore a tie, mostly with a jacket! Real speedway...

2 hours ago, chunky said:

That was wonderful! Again - as some of us have stated on here - the racing really was no better back then. However, it was more of a spectacle because of dirt on the tracks, individual styles, black leathers, chrome machinery, and fans on the terraces. Nearly every male you saw wore a tie, mostly with a jacket! Real speedway...

...and the music was better back then!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chadster said:

Found this on You Tube, very interesting!

Spotted a very young Terry Betts!

59 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Absolutely!!!

5 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Totally agree Steve. Fantastic stuff.

8 hours ago, chunky said:

Absolutely BRILLIANT!!!

A trifle early for me - I started watching Speedway in 1964. Absolutely superb viewing this. Pity we can't go back to those days Speedway wise. A far superior product then, in my opinion. No doubt many will disagree with me, which is fair enough. I know how I feel.

• Like 1

That was a treat, thank you. I've never seen any real footage of Sun Street before.

Speedway was certainly different then and I don't think it can be compared with modern day speedway.  I think we might look back through rose tinted glasses sometimes.

Just re-reading Reg Fearman's book and he covers extensively his time as a rider/promoter at Sun Street.

It's a great video- just fyi Reg Fearman  had his 90th birthday on April 26th- hopefully will have many more

• Like 1