British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - The sight lines are far better than at Wembley, and you are much closer to the action. Been there for Rugby League Challenge Cup Final and better viewing than Wembley

National Speedway Stadium - The sad thing is that, for me, there was a lack of ambition in terms of the capacity (but I would imagine there were constraints). No spectators on the bends, and you have to have temporary stands for a really big meeting. Shame, as a 20,000 capacity would fit the GP bill I feel. 3,700 capacity going up to 6,500 with temporary stands - Not enough by a long stretch.

3 hours ago, davidncohen said:

National Speedway Stadium - The sad thing is that, for me, there was a lack of ambition in terms of the capacity (but I would imagine there were constraints). No spectators on the bends, and you have to have temporary stands for a really big meeting. Shame, as a 20,000 capacity would fit the GP bill I feel. 3,700 capacity going up to 6,500 with temporary stands - Not enough by a long stretch.

At the end of the day though, how is Manchester any different from Cardiff other than the fact that Manchester has better transport links? Belle Vue is fine for domestic speedway and smaller international events, but offers a smaller outdoor stadium outside of the city centre compared to Cardiff. 

13 hours ago, davidncohen said:

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - The sight lines are far better than at Wembley, and you are much closer to the action. Been there for Rugby League Challenge Cup Final and better viewing than Wembley

I think for the initial SWC the crowd was circa 7,000...

So 7,000 paying £35 would cover the staging fee quite comfortably I would imagine...

The Council are very much "onside" so extra seating wouldnt face much challenge (and already been done), from a safety certificate point of view...

It would bring in more fans and money than Gorican and Prague I would think..

And 7,000 would be about half of the total current weekly UK fanbase I would imagine, so a "more than decent" crowd for Speedway...

I was congratulatory of the journalistic prowess of Peter Oakes to get this non-story in the national press.
But I have now read his more personal take on it in todays Speedway Star and he seems to have lost sense of reality.

• Haha 1

I recall Brandon Stadium successfully staging one of the British GP's years ago. Perhaps speedway should get behind speedway returning to Brandon, which has a capacity of 24,000 and could be the new Wembley for British speedway!  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

I recall Brandon Stadium successfully staging one of the British GP's years ago. Perhaps speedway should get behind speedway returning to Brandon, which has a capacity of 24,000 and could be the new Wembley for British speedway!  

Nice thought, but I don’t the capacity would be much more than half that figure

4 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

When did Brandon last have the capacity to hold 24k ?

9 hours ago, Grand Central said:

When did Brandon last have the capacity to hold 24k ?

Google Brandon capacity. It refers to the biggest crowd speedway had there. Maybe it's not possible now? 

1 hour ago, Ray Stadia said:

Google Brandon capacity. It refers to the biggest crowd speedway had there. Maybe it's not possible now? 

1954 … Brandon got 24k inside whilst in the same year they managed to cram over 102k into  Odsal.

Hilariously irrelevant in 2023.

Edited by Grand Central

1 hour ago, Grand Central said:

1954 … Brandon got 24k inside whilst in the same year they managed to cram over 102k into  Odsal.

Hilariously irrelevant in 2023.

You really are 'Mr Negative'. Or Mr ...., join the the dots! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/11/2023 at 8:37 AM, Grand Central said:

I was congratulatory of the journalistic prowess of Peter Oakes to get this non-story in the national press.
But I have now read his more personal take on it in todays Speedway Star and he seems to have lost sense of reality.

Probably,with attitudes like yours, speedway was never allowed to progress. Wondering if you are a member of the BSPL.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

*hitehart lane  - what a joke. ALmost as funny as the original post about Wembley Stadium.

Where would you park your car?

Ever heard of public transport?

1 hour ago, Vic Meldrew said:

Ever heard of public transport?

Ever heard of disabled Speedway supporters?