British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rearingtogo

Mervyn Stewkesbury RIP

Sad to hear of the passing of the former Weymouth Wildcats and former Poole pirates promoter after a lengthy illness. Heartfelt condolences sent to all his family and friends from the speedway community.

Edited by rearingtogo
  • Sad 1

Sad news indeed...stirred up the hierarchy within speedway at the time but certainly left his mark.

RIP

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

R.I.P. Mervyn, condolences to all Mervyns family and friends.

Weymouth and Poole speedways had good times when under his ownership.

Edited by 25yearfan

Looks like poor old Mervyn Stewkesbury isn't very popular. I never met the chap, but certainly a big name I remember from the past. Just shows you either of 2 things. This forum has hardly any active members now and/or people don't remember the guy, as the forum members are too young. I think sadly it is the former, rather than the latter. RIP Mervyn

7 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

Looks like poor old Mervyn Stewkesbury isn't very popular. I never met the chap, but certainly a big name I remember from the past. Just shows you either of 2 things. This forum has hardly any active members now and/or people don't remember the guy, as the forum members are too young. I think sadly it is the former, rather than the latter. RIP Mervyn

Certainly was the case with the late John Berry when reading his book.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Certainly was the case with the late John Berry when reading his book.

I have read John's book, but a number of years ago now. I will have to dig the book out.....if I can find it! But of course, you would expect there to be promoter rivalry, but the fans not liking Mervyn? :unsure:

11 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

I have read John's book, but a number of years ago now. I will have to dig the book out.....if I can find it! But of course, you would expect there to be promoter rivalry, but the fans not liking Mervyn? :unsure:

With John his reasons were for the way that, in his opinion, Mervyn "manipulated" the direction speedway was heading to suit his personal agenda. If I recall it was the time that promotion and relegation was introduced during Stewkesbury's tenure which was never going to succeed and the rift began to surface between the two leagues?

• Like 1

Wasn't Mervyn Stewkesbury the one that developed the "blueprint" for the 5h1tshow of a sport we have today?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

Probably a condolence page is not the place for a critique, but arguably the architect of the 'them-and-us' division between the BL and NL that arguably did not serve the sport well in the long term. Nor the 're-merger' of the BL and NL as a vehicle to get Poole back into the top league at a lower cost.

I'm sure there are different sides to the argument that are both valid though. 

• Like 3