British Speedway Forum

Just noticed this!

At my age computer basics get the better of me sometimes!

Can I move my post into the Swindon stadium thread?

Picked my first copy up in a long time from my local supermarket in Derbyshire today and good season preview.  Was slightly surprised at how small the font is, although I admit I am getting on a bit now (51).   

23 minutes ago, TheReturn said:

Picked my first copy up in a long time from my local supermarket in Derbyshire today and good season preview.  Was slightly surprised at how small the font is, although I admit I am getting on a bit now (51).   

Yeah, knowing how old most of us speedway fans are, they probably need to produce a large-print version of the mag...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/28/2024 at 1:43 PM, eric i said:

Not quite there doesn't seem to be much mention of German speedway.

I noticed that, just the ice speedway.. Landshut in Polish third tier. League fixtures for Poland, Sweden, Denmark, also Czech, Italy, France, Norway. As it said speedway is being overtaken by flat-track in most countries.

The Star is still a good magazine for what is now a minority sport, still clinging on, sales must be well below what they were 50 years ago, in speedway's heyday. We're fortunate to still see it on sale in major supermarkets.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 2

A decent issue of the bumper edition my only personal gripe is that the National league didn’t have the same cover as the premiership and championship they usually do but maybe with less teams they didn’t bother.

• Like 1

The season preview speedway star, has always been my favourite. But I miss they days when promoters (later fans) would give their predictions of the finishing order.

Don't know why they stopped that? Too many people not willing to join in? What's the harm of you get it wrong, it's supposed to be a bit of fun.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

But I miss they days when promoters (later fans) would give their predictions of the finishing order.

Don't know why they stopped that?

Well, it's not really the same when you only have three teams in the league, is it? :rofl:

• Haha 1

A big thumbs up to Peter Oakes in this weeks Star for his 'Just Saying...' column regarding the drug issue (or not!). A well balanced article. 

• Like 2