British Speedway Forum
lisa-colette

Redcar vs Poole BSN SF 2nd leg 20th May

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

It’s all about opinion,mines is that Worrell wasn’t really past Edwards going into the corner,Edwards kept his speed but Worrell went through ( without really touching him)but forced Edwards off line and he had to get off.When you see where Worrell ended up out wide before turning back,there certainly would have been a collision.Ref made a decision.

You were there and my comment is based purely on what has been said. Where a person is watching from can make a huge difference to what they see and I say having been a steward in Stock Car racing. I once had a very close finish to a major championship where my view made me make one decision but thankfully I looked at two different video views which both showed things that I could not see from race control and I was able to make an informed decision. A speedway referee is not always in the best position to make a decision depending on where on the track an incident takes place. Speedway referees don't have the help of videos so they can only call what they think they have seen with no help. 

We all like close, competitive racing but brings with it the increased chance of incidents like the one between Worrall and Edwards. Depends on where we are watching from and possibly who we support on how we view any incident. The important thing is that the riders are not injured in any crash and we can continue to enjoy watching them entertain us while they try to earn a living.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris116 said:

You were there and my comment is based purely on what has been said. Where a person is watching from can make a huge difference to what they see and I say having been a steward in Stock Car racing. I once had a very close finish to a major championship where my view made me make one decision but thankfully I looked at two different video views which both showed things that I could not see from race control and I was able to make an informed decision. A speedway referee is not always in the best position to make a decision depending on where on the track an incident takes place. Speedway referees don't have the help of videos so they can only call what they think they have seen with no help. 

We all like close, competitive racing but brings with it the increased chance of incidents like the one between Worrall and Edwards. Depends on where we are watching from and possibly who we support on how we view any incident. The important thing is that the riders are not injured in any crash and we can continue to enjoy watching them entertain us while they try to earn a living.

I believe speedway referees can now use video replays if the race is being filmed by either Eurosport or BSN. Not sure about in house streams though. 

26 minutes ago, daz9100 said:

I believe speedway referees can now use video replays if the race is being filmed by either Eurosport or BSN. Not sure about in house streams though. 

Well it was on BSN.

So the ref should have looked at the video and seen Worrall dived into the corner, then drifted out to the fence, taking out Edwards.

Not sure there were enough cameras to give the ref a good enough view to make a more informed decision.

It was one of those that will divide opinion, I was on the back straight and thought Worrall was at fault and the bloke next to me said it was Edwards fault. It was a racing incident and nothing malicious in it from either rider. Had no effect on the overall result and fortunately Edwards wasn’t hurt.

Time to move on I think.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Yearbyred said:

Not sure there were enough cameras to give the ref a good enough view to make a more informed decision.

It was one of those that will divide opinion, I was on the back straight and thought Worrall was at fault and the bloke next to me said it was Edwards fault. It was a racing incident and nothing malicious in it from either rider. Had no effect on the overall result and fortunately Edwards wasn’t hurt.

Time to move on I think.

Exactly. It was 50/50. But looks like Steve was just in front when crash happened (just went to watch it again!) If he wasn't, he would have been out for sure. 

Also decision was made pretty quickly, so don't think ref watched any replays. 

4 hours ago, Chris116 said:

I was watching on BSN.When interviewed Jason though he had  been dived bombed be took it very well without ranting and raving,very impressed by him considering what had happened.I’m sure he has future in the sport.It’s just about opinions though,it’s the Ref’s that matters at the end of the Day.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

I was watching on BSN.When interviewed Jason though he had  been dived bombed be took it very well without ranting and raving,very impressed by him considering what had happened.I’m sure he has future in the sport.

Jason has always been a polite level headed young man, even as a kid at Eastbourne was exactly the same, a pleasure to watch and speak to, always seemed to be in control of the bike and himself. 

• Like 3

Just got round to watching meeting today. Why didn't Kerr look for danyon in heat 6? Surely TM should've known he was off the best gate and Kerr had already clamped Lawson. Drifting up all did was force Danyon wider and eventually to the back imo. Worrall definitely let it run a bit further under Edwards, tight call but I'd say more often than not you'd expect rider on the inside to get excluded there. Given how Poole struggled early doors on Wednesday and against Swindon on a grippy track was surprised how slick track was prepared

BSN SERIES FINAL DATES | POOLE vs GLASGOW

AWAY Leg Friday 30th June 7:30pm Ashfield Stadium

HOME Leg Wednesday 5th July 7:30pm Poole Stadium

Poole will now host Glasgow in the league on Wednesday 23rd August

• Like 2

On 5/22/2023 at 10:26 AM, Fromafar said:

It’s all about opinion,mines is that Worrell wasn’t really past Edwards going into the corner,Edwards kept his speed but Worrell went through ( without really touching him)but forced Edwards off line and he had to get off.When you see where Worrell ended up out wide before turning back,there certainly would have been a collision.Ref made a decision.

So what you mean is he applied the Nicky Pedersen line? 

Of course he's in front because he hasn't made his turn yet!

On 5/22/2023 at 10:26 AM, Fromafar said:

So what you mean is he applied the Nicky Pedersen line? 

Of course he's in front because he hasn't made his turn yet!

• Haha 1

Interesting comment from Jason Edwards about ht 11 in his interview before the Glasgow match. He said ''I left the door slightly open and Steve Worrall went through it''

15 minutes ago, redlead said:

Interesting comment from Jason Edwards about ht 11 in his interview before the Glasgow match. He said ''I left the door slightly open and Steve Worrall went through it''

Interesting that they have changed their minds now though as after the meeting it was 'there wasn't a gap'

• Like 1