British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

British GP Cardiff Saturday 2nd September

2 hours ago, iainb said:

Personally I thought it was all a bit meh, with a meh winner, especially after Woffy crashed out, I genuinely thought he was going to win it! It was only a glorious success when measured against last year's fiasco. 

The presentation is so poor compared to how it used to be, club anthems pumping out over the PA (WBD clearly don't know their audience) and some self indulgent announcer who clearly loves the sound of his own voice prattling on during the grading breaks.

When looking back at it in a few months/years time I suspect it'd be hard to recall any particular highlights other than the Woffy crash. 

On the whole, it was enjoyable... but certainly no classic... meh

I thought the presentation was spot-on and created a great atmosphere

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KrisB said:

I thought the presentation was spot-on and created a great atmosphere

Glad you enjoyed it :)

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, JamesHarris said:

Unpopular opinion time but I just don't get why people rave so much about Cardiff. Perhaps people are sucked in to the glitz and glamour of it?

I watched the last 8 heats last night and from what I saw the races are pretty much decided by the first bend. I've never rated this track. I would love to see a Grand Prix at Belle Vue which in my opinion is a proper racing track but I would assume Cardiff generates a lot of income for the organisers. 

Try watching the first four heats?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, JamesHarris said:

Unpopular opinion time but I just don't get why people rave so much about Cardiff. Perhaps people are sucked in to the glitz and glamour of it?

I watched the last 8 heats last night and from what I saw the races are pretty much decided by the first bend. I've never rated this track. I would love to see a Grand Prix at Belle Vue which in my opinion is a proper racing track but I would assume Cardiff generates a lot of income for the organisers. 

You are correct, Cardiff is, most years, the most over hyped and boring GP of the year, so last night's "decent" GP made a pleasant change from the rubbish we normally get. The racing WOULD be 10 times better at Belle Vue but sadly, quality exciting racing isn't the main concern of the GP series anymore, even more so when it comes to the British GP, it's all about the "glitz and glamour", as you say.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoundTheBoards said:

So Cardiff 2024 is 17 August

I wonder if they tip off the hotels before the supporters ??

I have been to every Cardiff GP and thoroughly enjoyed last night's offering, which exceeded expectations in every way.

I have to say that I didn't like the thump, thump, thump "music" or the deafening level at which it was played, (reminded me of Wolverhampton and their clown of a presenter!!!) but then, I'm only an old fellow so that's perhaps to be expected - and I appreciate that they have to try and satisfy the majority - and the majority of people there did seem to like it, so I realise that I have to put up with it!

The quality of the racing was excellent, and the track was superbly prepared, so hopefully, the people who stayed away in the memory of last season's shambles, will decide to give Cardiff another chance in future years, and help make sure that we don't lose this magnificent venue.

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Probably in case they had been taking casual visitors.  

17 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

I would suspect the hotel prices are high every weekend and not just for Speedway, it is a capital city with many attractions and I would think there's some kind of event on most weekends

16 minutes ago, brianbuck said:

I have been to every Cardiff GP and thoroughly enjoyed last night's offering, which exceeded expectations in every way.

I have to say that I didn't like the thump, thump, thump "music" or the deafening level at which it was played, (reminded me of Wolverhampton and their clown of a presenter!!!) but then, I'm only an old fellow so that's perhaps to be expected - and I appreciate that they have to try and satisfy the majority - and the majority of people there did seem to like it, so I realise that I have to put up with it!

The quality of the racing was excellent, and the track was superbly prepared, so hopefully, the people who stayed away in the memory of last season's shambles, will decide to give Cardiff another chance in future years, and help make sure that we don't lose this magnificent venue.

I completely agree, I really enjoyed it. Only criticism was the music was too loud  and too much dance cam and not enough rider interviews.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JamesHarris said:

but the actual racing was pants.

So, just like the old World Finals, then? That everybody loved! What about 1981? There were TWO good races...

Sometimes events are more about the occasion than the racing ..

• Like 7

19 hours ago, MARK246 said:

Zmarzlik increases his lead at the top, one race win all night 

Wouldn't have been in it if Dudek hadn't finished last in his final heat!

2 hours ago, JamesHarris said:

The best races were near the beginning, the racing is never going to be Scunthorpe or Belle Vue but it was still decent.

The pros and cons of holding a Belle Vue v Cardiff GP gets discussed every year, as long as lessons have been learned from 2022 track, Cardiff comes out on top everytime imo.

Edited by eric i
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

You think there will actually be ANY hotels open to the public still in a year's time?!!!!

19 minutes ago, Buttons said:

Wouldn't have been in it if Dudek hadn't finished last in his final heat!

You noticed that too?

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, eric i said:

The best races were near the beginning, the racing is never going to be Scunthorpe or Belle Vue but it was still decent.

The pros and cons of holding a Belle Vue v Cardiff GP gets discussed every year, as long as lessons have been learned from 2022 track, Cardiff comes out on top everytime imo.

Scunthorpe??? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Haha 2