British Speedway Forum
Petecc

Birmingham v Glasgow 12/07/23

Apologies, this may sound stupid, I can be quite naïve at times, but is a drugs test, checking your pee? Coz I had a pee 40 minutes ago, and no way could I do another one right now (though I'm 51, so probably Mr Prostate has something to do with that)....... would they let you drink a couple of litres of water? Purely interested / curious, that's all 

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

Tbf the statement makes it sound like he refused to take any test. 

That’s half the problem. The statement from the SCB says that the test was refused, despite one being taken and another not been undertaken.

Edited by kopite92

Im no certain on this but i remember Danny Bird having a pretty  good job outside of speedway?

3 hours ago, eide67 said:

I watched the stream last night as there was no stream at Oxford where my team was riding. I didn't get full access until heat 9 but I must say the entertainment in those last 7 heats was better than a lot of full matches I've watched this season.  I've since watched the whole match using the 'rewind' function and it also included most of the previous year's match against Glasgow. I also got a reply to my email about the problem. I definitely feel I got value for the £11.99 I paid and won't be asking for a refund.

I watch a lot of speedway using streaming services and most, if not all, run into technical problems now and again. It's usually outwith their control and they try their best to sort the situation as quickly as possible. I'm just happy I can see so much speedway these days - I'm old enough to remember having to wait until the following morning to buy a Daily Mirror to find out how your team got on the previous night.

So pleased that my fellow Monarch has decided not to request a refund for the stream issues. I think it was the Monarchs who were first to introduce streaming and I thought this will be good as it gives a vital source of income. When streaming was extended to other clubs I thought that it would be a good way to give support to clubs struggling financially and Newcastle were the club I was thinking about. I understand that Birmingham are having to rely on individuals to keep them afloat. How about we "promote" as many as possible signing up for a particular Birmingham match being streamed, regardless of who it is against, and give them a financial boost? Surely we can get 1,000 at £11.99 which might be the £11,990 that will go towards keeping them afloat. It is too late for Newcastle, let`s help Birmingham and possibly we can "save" others going forward. Alternatively we can do nothing and we know the consequences for speedway.

• Like 1

With no knowledge of what happened here's my best guess from reading everything so far.Except the first bit which is why he missed meetings last week

NM 10 days or so ago had a big get off in Polska and withdrew from the meetings in the next week

Turns up at Brum and selected for test  he either took the first which was deemed non negative, or he refused to take the test. Clarification will no doubt come in 4-6 weeks time when the SCB can arrange a Zoom meeting To arrange a date for the hearing.

If he refused first test he's out for 2yrs after the fine is paid. 

If he took first test and then due to a non negative result they wanted a 2nd, maybe he couldn't pee any more. Or is 2nd test a blood test doubt they'd need no more than a prick test similar to what diabetics use.

As far as I'm concerned I hope it's a case of after the crash he has taken either prescribed or non prescribed painkillers  first test deemed not negative and was unable to have a tinkle.

If it was recreational/alcohol then obviously a completely different matter

Edited by Triple.H.
Spelling

I've heard he tampered with the first test by watering it down if true obviously had something to hide.

10 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

With no knowledge of what happened here's my best guess from reading everything so far.Except the first bit which is why he missed meetings last week

NM 10 days or so ago had a big get off in Polska and withdrew from the meetings in the next week

Turns up at Brum and selected for test  he either took the first which was deemed non negative, or he refused to take the test. Clarification will no doubt come in 4-6 weeks time when the SCB can arrange a Zoom meeting To arrange a date for the hearing.

If he refused first test he's out for 2yrs after the fine is paid. 

If he took first test and then due to a non negative result they wanted a 2nd, maybe he couldn't pee any more. Or is 2nd test a blood test doubt they'd need no more than a prick test similar to what diabetics use.

As far as I'm concerned I hope it's a case of after the crash he has taken either prescribed or non prescribed painkillers  first test deemed not negative and was unable to have a tinkle.

If it was recreational/alcohol then obviously a completely different matter

he took the first one refused the second  ,similar in Ben Barkers case he took the second one and then argued his case for pain killers also with Kyle Howarth who had been taken the stronger  type of night nurse  medication which had codeine in it as there is similar product which dose not have this in it 

I'll start by saying I have no idea on the rules on the drugs testing that takes place within speedway but i have read somewhere that it's the WADA (apologies if I have the abbreviation incorrect ) system that they follow. Now again as a bit of a boxing fan I understand how strict this can be and how simple cough medicines containing codine can flag up as a positive test. Now my two points I'd like to make.

I worked in an industry where we could be randomly tested on a regular basis and any medication we were on or had been on as long as we had the doctors prescription for it then it was fine is it the same in speedway?

My second point, I understand how certain performance enhancing drugs could cause boxers to have an unfair advantage but what exact advantage could a rider have I can't think of or is it recreational drugs that the sports governing body don't want involved with the sport in any way shape or form?

If it was medication he'd have taken the second test...nothing to hide etc... he's a loser!

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Cast1rn said:

I'll start by saying I have no idea on the rules on the drugs testing that takes place within speedway but i have read somewhere that it's the WADA (apologies if I have the abbreviation incorrect ) system that they follow. Now again as a bit of a boxing fan I understand how strict this can be and how simple cough medicines containing codine can flag up as a positive test. Now my two points I'd like to make.

I worked in an industry where we could be randomly tested on a regular basis and any medication we were on or had been on as long as we had the doctors prescription for it then it was fine is it the same in speedway?

My second point, I understand how certain performance enhancing drugs could cause boxers to have an unfair advantage but what exact advantage could a rider have I can't think of or is it recreational drugs that the sports governing body don't want involved with the sport in any way shape or form?

Just after the Darcy Ward ban in Latvia there was an interview with a fellow gp rider who stated they need to test more for drugs than alcohol. The understanding being that something like cocaine (and I am NOT saying what the substance in this case, as I have no idea), they suggested that it lowers your inhibitions meaning they will see a gap or opportunity that nobody else would dream of taking and end up causing serious injuries.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Debbi said:

Just after the Darcy Ward ban in Latvia there was an interview with a fellow gp rider who stated they need to test more for drugs than alcohol. The understanding being that something like cocaine (and I am NOT saying what the substance in this case, as I have no idea), they suggested that it lowers your inhibitions meaning they will see a gap or opportunity that nobody else would dream of taking and end up causing serious injuries.

As you rightly say drugs can impair  the perception of speed, space, distance etc so judgement is completely false.

Basically if you take drugs to enhance your performance you're cheating and have no place in any sport and a 2 year ban won't change the fact you were prepared to cheat or put lives at risk.

4 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

As you rightly say drugs can impair  the perception of speed, space, distance etc so judgement is completely false.

Basically if you take drugs to enhance your performance you're cheating and have no place in any sport and a 2 year ban won't change the fact you were prepared to cheat or put lives at risk.

Weed will make you think slower, no good. But still dangerous.  Coke will make you feel very confidant, maybe going for a pass you wouldn't normally take, but your still  alert and on your game, so to speak.. Alcohol, which is the fastest to get out of your system, and probably has the least positive tests,  affects everything you do if you have enough on board. 

4 hours ago, kopite92 said:

That’s half the problem. The statement from the SCB says that the test was refused, despite one being taken and another not been undertaken.

Unless they have changed it - it says 'refused to comply with the testing procedure'  which could mean a number of things!

5 hours ago, Wee Eck said:

My recollection was as someone else has said - the ban starts when he pays the two grand fine. Which he’s never going to now after what must be over 15 years away from the sport. 

You'd think it would work better the other way around, the SCB will never get that fine as even if Bird wanted to return, he wouldn't pay a fine now & hope in two years he's still keen. If it was ban first then pay fine, there's a bigger chance Bird (or any rider) might fancy giving it another go?

10 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Ha. Pickering or King best options. Nick ave with extra 5% allowed at home is 9.26 and Dougie is 9.29!! 

Douglas (9.29) & Harris (9.28) both just above the home bonus unfortunately for Birmingham. Charles Wright would be a good guest for next week.