British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SJA

Best Team Managers

4 hours ago, iainb said:
Bojangles said:

In Steve's defence, it's usually The Toad that kicks things off. Has to be the most argumentative person on this forum!

Who is your candidate for best team manager then ?   why or do you feel the need to come a running when poor old recall gets himself in knot because he failed to read the question posed at the start of the thread usual suspects come to mind

28 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

Phil Mountford

If I recall he was Team Manager at Oxford back in 1979 (?) after managing the British "Lions" down under. I wonder what happened to him?

The best team manager for me isn't someone who wins everything. It's about getting performance above & beyond the rider's capabilities. 

Obviously we're all slightly biased but Rob Lyon is exactly that guy. Very good tactically too. Unfortunately, because of the 'Rising Star' system tactics are less available. Should still be the Great Britain manager imo. 

By far the worst Team Manager is Mark Lemon. Still absolutely clueless at decision making for both Belle Vue & Australia 

• Like 3

On 7/22/2023 at 5:43 PM, weatherman said:

Garry May worked wonders at Somerset

Totally agree, I would like to see him as Team manager for the British Team in the future.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2023 at 10:17 PM, steve roberts said:

...as I've indicated elsewhere he [Peter Adams] has/had good lieutenants in which to bounce his thoughts off which is always a bonus when planning strategies on and off the track.

True, but probably why they were signed in the first place!

Adams has always been strong on detail. He showed me his planned R/R rides at Coventry once and mentioned that he liked to avoid giving riders consecutive heats where possible. The trap thus baited, I duly plunged in and pointed out two on the trot late in the meeting for Adam Skornicki only to be told triumphantly "Coventry always have their interval between those races."

Perhaps slightly off-topic, I always felt that at GB level Rob Lyon had the bigger picture at a time when those running the sport had not. He was way ahead of the curve and would have thrived under the current, more progressive set-up.

In terms of success, I must note that Tony Jackson signed off Workington's tenure with the second-tier treble!!

• Like 2

I think the way Rob Lyon masterminded the Panthers averages towards to end of 2021 was hugely impressive as there was not much margin for error to get Bjarne to reserve and to keep Ulrich in the top two so as the maximise R/R opportunities.

A very useful poor night at home v Sheffield in September followed by really timely retirements for Harris and Andersen (both when leading) in the next home match v King’s Lynn worked to perfection to set everything up for the play offs and we all know how they ended!