British Speedway Forum
paul84

Edinburgh Academy V Workington Comets

3 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Does it matter whether it's inside or out a pass is a pass

Around most tracks no, but when riders have to shut off so much it does not make it exciting, just my opinion of course, and they’ll be plenty that disagree. The throttle jockeys vs technical tracks debate will always go on, and many have their favourite type.

Modern machinery hasn’t helped tracks like Edinburgh, and I feel it’s very hard to sell slow racing to a non fan / newcomer to the sport.

53 minutes ago, Marksman said:

Around most tracks no, but when riders have to shut off so much it does not make it exciting, just my opinion of course, and they’ll be plenty that disagree. The throttle jockeys vs technical tracks debate will always go on, and many have their favourite type.

Modern machinery hasn’t helped tracks like Edinburgh, and I feel it’s very hard to sell slow racing to a non fan / newcomer to the sport.

Technical tracks are good mastering throttle control to many young riders these days around Europe don’t understand how to use it. All about being flat out and causes too many accidents these days from lack of control.

Edited by Mr Blobby
  • Like 1

Plaudits to the track staff for producing a fine racing surface after days of heavy rain and with a forecast of more on the day. The match wasn't overly exciting mainly due to the home riders having their gating gloves on, but it was a confidence-boosting big win. There were 3 or 4 very good heats mainly involving Dayle Wood and Luke Harrison. Luke was the pick of the visitors showing great track craft for one so young (I remember being impressed with him last year on a 250cc in the British Youth Championships). Lee Complin gave it his all as usual and I thought Harry McGurk rode and scored steadily given his recent dip in form.

Ace had a rare Armadale off-night but looking forward to seeing him plus Mickie Simpson and Sam McGurk pit their skills against the more experienced under-21s at Glasgow today.

17 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Can't believe Connor Bailey isn't riding, plenty of time after Redcar was postponed! Half joking - but should this count as "witholding his services"?

4 hours ago, edmon said:

He was in attendance!

That makes it even worse imo. Many fans hate the guest system, I feel it's a necessary evil but gets abused. How can you explain to a newcomer why Workington are allowed a guest for a rider not injured & in attendance?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

That makes it even worse imo. Many fans hate the guest system, I feel it's a necessary evil but gets abused. How can you explain to a newcomer why Workington are allowed a guest for a rider not injured & in attendance?

Connor wanted to ride but the Workington promotion told him they were going to honour the guest booking they had given to Lee. Weird decision.

33 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

Connor wanted to ride but the Workington promotion told him they were going to honour the guest booking they had given to Lee. Weird decision.

What ever decision they had made would have been wrong to some people,despite my first thoughts i think andrew done the right thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

Well in that case, I'll remove any blame I was feeling towards Connor. Can't understand the decision though, when Complin was offered the guest booking he must have known it was because Redcar we're riding that day, so there's always a chance of a postponement & Bailey suddenly becoming available. I feel the "integrity" of the sport i.e using your own riders should trump Complin's guest booking.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Well in that case, I'll remove any blame I was feeling towards Connor. Can't understand the decision though, when Complin was offered the guest booking he must have known it was because Redcar we're riding that day, so there's always a chance of a postponement & Bailey suddenly becoming available. I feel the "integrity" of the sport i.e using your own riders should trump Complin's guest booking.

You don’t follow the sport much do you ….” Integrity “ !…..like Barker guesting for Ipswich replacing Riss who was guesting the same night for Peterborough as he couldn’t ride for his own team because of the guest !.

8 hours ago, KK62 said:

You don’t follow the sport much do you ….” Integrity “ !…..like Barker guesting for Ipswich replacing Riss who was guesting the same night for Peterborough as he couldn’t ride for his own team because of the guest !.

Which is exactly the sort of rule that need to be "fixed". Although that's not accurate, Barker wasn't guesting for Riss, he was a temp signing, Riss couldn't return to Ipswich till 28 days was up - but can ride for another team! I wonder if he could've guested against Ipswich?

Edited by szkocjasid

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

Which is exactly the sort of rule that need to be "fixed". Although that's not accurate, Barker wasn't guesting for Ross, he was a temp signing, Ross couldn't return to Ipswich till 28 days was up - but can ride for another team! I wonder if he could've guested against Ipswich?

Not sure about Ross but Barker was a temp signing to replace who ?

hang on, it will come to me…..

Oh yeah!….Riss !

It was great to see Mickie bounce back from his bike fire and burned leg and Dayle following his disaster when his chain snapped, chewed up his bike and bit his leg. Also great to see the fans rally round on gofundme for them

6 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Not sure about Ross but Barker was a temp signing to replace who ?

hang on, it will come to me…..

Oh yeah!….Riss !

Auto correct drives me mad at times

On 7/16/2023 at 11:12 AM, Mr Blobby said:

Technical tracks are good mastering throttle control to many young riders these days around Europe don’t understand how to use it. All about being flat out and causes too many accidents these days from lack of control.

Agree technical tracks help riders master throttle control more so if riding them on a regular basis. Not sure if flat out causes more accidents though, Wolves v Belle Vue last week seemed to cause many riders big issues including a rare fall for master of throttle control Dan Bewley. Tight technical tracks usually lend a big home advantage, I remember whenever Comets visited the likes of Newcastle and Armadale I was just happy if none of the  riders got injured. Would be interesting to know how many supporters of teams with tight technical tracks ie inside dog tracks would go for the same if there clubs were in a position to design a track from scratch.

On 7/16/2023 at 10:03 AM, Marksman said:

Sad state of affairs when riders pushing through on the inside is classed as racing

I trust you didn't enjoy watching Daniel Bewley pushing through on the inside in the GP Final on Saturday?

On 7/16/2023 at 10:03 AM, Marksman said:

Sad state of affairs when riders pushing through on the inside is classed as racing

7 hours ago, King Jamie said:

I trust you didn't enjoy watching Daniel Bewley pushing through on the inside in the GP Final on Saturday?

Or Connor Bailey passing Dan Thompson up the inside to win the U-21s