British Speedway Forum
Tosh1218

Redcar v Scunthorpe 21 July

26 minutes ago, slyfox said:

Yes both clubs can be flexible on the nights they ride but wont want 2 meetings in any week, when all of September & October are free at the moment

We will see I guess but they will proritise the playoffs first at that time of year. November here we come again! :D

3 hours ago, slyfox said:

Will be September now as League takes priority. No spare Fridays till then.

Gotta say I'm very disappointed when I read "league takes priority" as it ends up meaning we don't care about the Cup & are happy to race the semis & finals in October imo.

When I saw such a blank fixture list I thought, at least we won't have the same situation as last year, with all the finals being raced in October / November (or not at all). Thankfully the BSN is complete early, which is a nice change.

I'm not sure of the logic of most clubs being very busy in August, did they not anticipate needing spare dates in case of bad weather? It's no good having a empty May & June if July turns out to be wet!

6 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Gotta say I'm very disappointed when I read "league takes priority" as it ends up meaning we don't care about the Cup & are happy to race the semis & finals in October imo.

When I saw such a blank fixture list I thought, at least we won't have the same situation as last year, with all the finals being raced in October / November (or not at all). Thankfully the BSN is complete early, which is a nice change.

I'm not sure of the logic of most clubs being very busy in August, did they not anticipate needing spare dates in case of bad weather? It's no good having a empty May & June if July turns out to be wet!

School holidays mean higher attendances usually.

15 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

We will see I guess but they will proritise the playoffs first at that time of year. November here we come again! :D

And when is last years Jubilee thingy being raced again?

7 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

1st of never

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Whenever the next Royal Jubilee is..........maybe?! :D

Or take the 'i' out and call it the Lovely Jublee Trophy?! :lol:

Edited by lbw

13 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I'm not sure of the logic of most clubs being very busy in August, did they not anticipate needing spare dates in case of bad weather? It's no good having an empty May & June if July turns out to be wet!

The whole fixture planning is a disaster as usual.Things never change.Successful Teams will still struggle into October even though they have 1/2 there usual home fixtures.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

The whole fixture planning is a disaster as usual.Things never change.Successful Teams will still struggle into October even though they have 1/2 there usual home fixtures.

The successful teams are often kept hanging around by opponents who can't/don't complete their fixtures on time or won't agree fixture dates due to rider availability.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I'm not sure of the logic of most clubs being very busy in August, did they not anticipate needing spare dates in case of bad weather? It's no good having an empty May & June if July turns out to be wet!

Fixtures are always prone to be changed due to ‘priorities’, in this case the clubs were told to get BSN out of the way first, then told to get early cup rounds completed by a set date now they are being told to prioritise the league, it’s not the individual club that changes them to suit ,it’s dictated and I mean that literally , by the BSPL.  Always going to cause issues for the Friday night tracks particularly those who have ‘seniority’ and impose dates on the opposition.

5 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

The successful teams are often kept hanging around by opponents who can't/don't complete their fixtures on time or won't agree fixture dates due to rider availability.

To put another side on that, it is more often the ‘successful club’ who try to dictate as they want the fixture when it’s suits them !

4 minutes ago, KK62 said:

To put another side on that, it is more often the ‘successful club’ who try to dictate as they want the fixture when it’s suits them !

It’s “ swings and roundabouts” the main problem is the riders are dictating the sport.IMO.It should be the other way round,but self interest is what really matters to Promotions.

• Like 1

Just now, Fromafar said:

It’s “ swings and roundabouts” the main problem is the riders are dictating the sport.IMO.It should be the other way round,but self interest is what really matters to Promotions.

Of course it does, it’s their business that’s at stake , we have known that for donkeys years.

Just now, Fortythirtyeight said:

Of course it does, it’s their business that’s at stake , we have known that for donkeys years.

That’s a major problem to the credibility of Speedway in UK though.Just seen as Mickey Mouse and not attracting new fans in numbers to sustain it.

• Like 2

There are roughly 21 weeks from the start of April until the end of August. If a team happens to be in contention for every competition they race in they will have a maximum of 16 home meetings. That’s assuming both cup competitions are completed by the end of August and that the play-offs (another three home meetings potentially) will be staged in September/October. 

There is plenty of time to race a full season. The play-offs are needlessly convoluted with over half the league competing these days too. They could be cut back to the traditional format or, even better, scrapped altogether. The team that finishes top wins the league. That would give even more time to get all the meetings completed at all tracks with no issues. It’s not hard. 

• Like 4